Lady Lake Blockbuster closing.

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Taltarzac
Angry Lady Lake Blockbuster closing.

A Blockbuster clerk said that store in Lady Lake-- in Spanish Plaines Shopping Center-- will close on April 10, 2011. There is a sale supposedly starting on March 7, 2011 of the store's contents.

Not certain when you will not be able to rent movies there anymore. Assume it is around March 7, 2011 but am not sure.

Sad news for me as I have been going there almost 6 years. It is a bit far to go from Lynnhaven but the Leesburg Blockbuster is even further.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Guess Red Box and NetFlix won. Something tells me the other Blockbusters aren't golng to be around much longer, either.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Sage

I'm sorry Tal. I was a big fan of Blockbuster when living in CA, it was just down the street. Movies seemed much cheaper to rent than they were the last time we stopped in at Blockbuster now scheduled to close. It's tough to compete with the kiosks and internet ready tv's or DVD players that allow instant streaming from NetFlix, Amazon and even Blockbuster.

I do hope you find a suitable replacement for your movie viewing pleasure.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Eternal Member

As long as Blockbuster online is still available I am happy.

But I will probably stop by in March to see if I can pick up a few DVDs that I like at a cheap price!

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Gold member

Wonder if you will still be able to rent movies from Blockbuster at box they have in place a few doors away in the Spanish Plaines Publix store?
Old 02-12-2011, 08:13 AM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704 View Post
Wonder if you will still be able to rent movies from Blockbuster at box they have in place a few doors away in the Spanish Plaines Publix store?
Probably for the time being. Not sure about the long term though.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Sage
Default Will any Blockbuster stores be open a year from now?

Many Blockbuster stores in the Chicago area have closed in the past 2 years. There used to be 4 Blockbuster stores within 10 minutes of my house. As of next month, the closest Blockbuster store will be 20 minutes drive from my house. I gave up on Blockbuster stores and switched to Netflix about 18 months ago. Between Netflix, Red Box and streaming movies over the internet, I think Blockbuster stores will be history within a couple of years.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Taltarzac
Default Looks like the Belleview Blockbuster is also closing about April 10.

http://tmcniff.blogs.ocala.com/10328...everal-stores/

A couple of the Ocala Blockbusters are also closing soon.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Default redbox

go to redbox and get your movies for a dollar. the only difference is that redbox can not rent movies until they have been on dvd for a month.

There are redboxs in almost all of the mcdonalds, walmarts, and some grocery stores...
Old 02-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Veteran member

Hard to believe some folks still depend on Blockbuster, with so many other options - Red Box, NetFlix, etc.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum8156 View Post
Hard to believe some folks still depend on Blockbuster, with so many other options - Red Box, NetFlix, etc.
I like the box the DVD comes in for additional information about the film. It is also right at your fingertips.

The Blockbuster in the Villages had probably 10,000 movie titles, for the most part nice people, and was only about 6 miles from where I am located in TV.

You cannot get access to most of the older movies through Red Box, Blockbuster Express, etc.

Netflix and Blockbuster online do offer quite a lot of more movies but I miss the DVD covers.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 AM

Tal,
I agree with you. I am so sad Blockbusters in closing. I rent "off the wall" and foreign films and I know I will never find these kind of films at a kiosk. I wish there was an "artsy cinema" in the area because most of the movies at the local movie theaters do not interest me. There is a foreign film club in The Villages and I have been to their showings a few times, but I do prefer to rent DVDs and watch at home.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.