TV Antenna and Comcast Internet

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2020, 09:57 AM
Default TV Antenna and Comcast Internet

We just bought a ranch in The Villages and i want an antenna for local stations and then stream everything else over the internet connection. The prior owners of my ranch had satellite TV and centurylink DSL for internet.

Supposedly I can get Comcast for the internet (faster connection than DSL so I prefer that) but don’t want to pay monthly for cable TV particularly since I will be a snowbird at least for a few years.

The problem is both the antenna connection and Comcast need to go over the coax cable system in the house. I had intended to just replace the satellite dish with the antenna which already connects into the cable system outside my garage. I presume the Comcast cable would also connect to the house coax system near the same point.

Does anyone have experience having Comcast run coax inside their home? There is a shallow attic area and I would think they would have to run the coax through that above the garage. Will they do that? I only need the Comcast coax to one point inside the house for the modem and will use the coax system for the antenna. Is there some better way to accomplish this? Thanks in advance for your input
Old 02-23-2020, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,623 Times in 5,201 Posts

It sounds like you already have sufficient coax cables in your house to accomodate the Comcast connection. Typically, Comcast doesn't run new cabling inside your house. You may want to call Tom at Villages AV, 352-388-1677. He can help with any antenna installation or antenna cables, or hook it up to existing cables.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:32 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsommer330 View Post
We just bought a ranch in The Villages and i want an antenna for local stations and then stream everything else over the internet connection. The prior owners of my ranch had satellite TV and centurylink DSL for internet.

Supposedly I can get Comcast for the internet (faster connection than DSL so I prefer that) but don’t want to pay monthly for cable TV particularly since I will be a snowbird at least for a few years.

The problem is both the antenna connection and Comcast need to go over the coax cable system in the house. I had intended to just replace the satellite dish with the antenna which already connects into the cable system outside my garage. I presume the Comcast cable would also connect to the house coax system near the same point.

Does anyone have experience having Comcast run coax inside their home? There is a shallow attic area and I would think they would have to run the coax through that above the garage. Will they do that? I only need the Comcast coax to one point inside the house for the modem and will use the coax system for the antenna. Is there some better way to accomplish this? Thanks in advance for your input

Can't you connect your antenna to where the Dish (or whatever brand) connection is on the outside of our house???

We did that for a number of years. A $100 outdoor antenna connected to where the cable access enters the house.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes attaching the antenna where the satellite connection is currently is my intention. The real problem, or at least what I think is the problem, is that both the antenna TV connection and the Comcast internet connection will want to use the house coax system.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:50 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Yes attaching the antenna where the satellite connection is currently is my intention. The real problem, or at least what I think is the problem, is that both the antenna TV connection and the Comcast internet connection will want to use the house coax system.

An option. In your garage, where all the cables come together to connect to Comcast, disconnect the one cable going to the TV location and connect the antenna.

Without too much information...................connect the Comcast cable coming into your house to the single cable going to your modem / router. The connect your antenna cable coming from outside to a splitter so you can have multiple TV outlets.

Or call Tom the AV guy.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
An option. In your garage, where all the cables come together to connect to Comcast, disconnect the one cable going to the TV location and connect the antenna.

Without too much information...................connect the Comcast cable coming into your house to the single cable going to your modem / router. The connect your antenna cable coming from outside to a splitter so you can have multiple TV outlets.

Or call Tom the AV guy.
I did something similar except I found they came together in the attic above the garage and not far from my attic steps that I had Tim Miller install. I have Directv in the LR and M/BR but decided to use an antenna for the guest BR.

Where the cables come together in the attic, two went out to the eve and up on the roof to the satellite dish. The third I connected to an antenna that I bought on Amazon for $27 and mounted on the rafters. It picks up about 50 stations, about 20 are in Spanish, about 10 are religious and rest are network or rerun channels. So when I workout in the guest BR I have that TV to watch. If I had to live by what was available on OTA only, I would get rid of my TV, it's slim pickings.

On Directv we watch ID Channel (Investigation Discovery) HGTV, ESPN, ESPN 2, FS1, NHL, Sunshine Sports, etc. The only time we watch the networks is for live sports, I don't care for much for TV shows, sitcoms, or anything they have to offer.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:42 PM
Sage

If you're a snowbird, did you know you can "rest" Comcast while you're away?
Old 02-23-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
If you're a snowbird, did you know you can "rest" Comcast while you're away?
No I didn’t Thanks
Old 02-23-2020, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:

Does anyone have experience having Comcast run coax inside their home? There is a shallow attic area and I would think they would have to run the coax through that above the garage. Will they do that? I only need the Comcast coax to one point inside the house for the modem and will use the coax system for the antenna. Is there some better way to accomplish this? Thanks https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...es/smile.gifin advance for your input
Why not just stream the local channels too? I do. I also had Century Link bring a fiber optic line into the house to replace the old DSL which wasn't fast enough. Took out landline at the same time (was always unplugged anyway) and the monthly bill went down. Pay $45 total a month for life.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:08 AM

My question is why do you want to use an antenna for local stations and pay for cable? You sound like a savvy person so I'll suggest you go with an internet connection, get an app like YouTubeTV, and you're good to go. Internet TV is better and cheaper than paying a cable company. Plus when you go back and forth as a snowbird, you just take your ROKU, or whatever device, with you and use it in both places. We have CenturyLink internet access and YouTubeTV for under $100/month, and have everything cable can give us at less cost. We also have HULU at $11/month, and free Amazon Prime app since we subscribe to Amazon Prime shipping. Something to think about...
Old 02-24-2020, 07:17 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

use a splitter
Old 02-24-2020, 08:05 AM

You tube tv is the way to go! We also have Netflix as well!
Old 02-24-2020, 08:56 AM

Having an antenna has been real beneficial. We do use a Roku device and bounce around from hulu, netflix, sling, youtube, amazon prime, etc when they have programs we like. But it's hard to stay with any of the services long term as in time we get tired of the selections. Sometimes it's nice to have the antenna as a backup to just watch the local channels and not always be tied to a tv subscription.

Cheers
Old 02-24-2020, 09:17 AM

You can call Zack at Sky sat 20 813 695 8824. They do custom antennas and wiring. I tried a similar project in my house and finally gave up . The money I spent with Sky Sat was worth it ten times as they hooked up an antenna to all TVs. I now get all my locals for free and can steam also. Ask for the installer Eddie he has 30 years experience hooking up local antennas .
Old 02-24-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aallbrand View Post
You can call Zack at Sky sat 20 813 695 8824. They do custom antennas and wiring. I tried a similar project in my house and finally gave up . The money I spent with Sky Sat was worth it ten times as they hooked up an antenna to all TVs. I now get all my locals for free and can steam also. Ask for the installer Eddie he has 30 years experience hooking up local antennas .
I'm on my third ota antenna installation and have yet to find anything worth watching. I can get one "local" station, Channel 6, other than that it's pathetic. We have youtube tv that has all the tv you need via the internet stream. What do you get with your antenna? Too much old stuff, spanish and religion for me.
Closed Thread

Tags
coax, comcast, antenna, cable, system

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.