Lanai extension

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2016, 03:33 PM
Question Lanai extension

Has anyone recently extended and enclosed their lanai? I'm looking for your experiences with contractors, good and bad. Also, if you enclosed your lanai, what type of system did you use? Windows, sliders?
Old 06-29-2016, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,145 Times in 2,245 Posts

We extended our lanai, and added about 800 square ft. of birdcage. We had a overall contractor (Killcrease), however, 95% of the work was done by one subcontractor Joseph Sweeting LLC, 352-209-7676. They did all of the concrete work and the structure for the birdcage and the screening, excellent work. Send me a PM if you want to see their work.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:59 PM
Sage

just do search the subject was beat to death many times
Old 06-29-2016, 06:55 PM
Veteran member

Elite Lifestyles - the raised the floor and expanded from 180 sq ft to 380 sq ft. glass sliders, 2 doors. very pleased
Old 06-29-2016, 07:15 PM

DO NOT use MTS Construction of Ocala. Took 9 months for a 30 day lanai enclose,always wanted money when he came by house. Only saw him 4 times. His response was The villages was too far away to send workers.failed 11 county inspections.
Warning::::: Do your research and look at other jobs,and ask home owners for first hand experience.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:39 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktots View Post
Has anyone recently extended and enclosed their lanai? I'm looking for your experiences with contractors, good and bad. Also, if you enclosed your lanai, what type of system did you use? Windows, sliders?
In 2013, we got the three estimates that are always suggested for any major construction project. In the end we went with T&D, who happened to be the highest by less than $1K. It was a good decision because the job was done well, in a timely manner, and in a very professional way. They had different crews come in for each step of the project: the forms, for the cement pour, for the AC outlets and soffit lighting, for the acrylic deck finish, and the aluminum framing and screening. In the end the $1K premium was insignificant for the peace of mind and overall success of the project. If cost is not your primary consideration go with a proven contractor.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:52 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llaran View Post
Elite Lifestyles - the raised the floor and expanded from 180 sq ft to 380 sq ft. glass sliders, 2 doors. very pleased
NO!!
Elite Lifestyles had very poor responses to my glass windows problems on the lanai. I do not recommend them at all.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDCART View Post
In 2013, we got the three estimates that are always suggested for any major construction project. In the end we went with T&D, who happened to be the highest by less than $1K. It was a good decision because the job was done well, in a timely manner, and in a very professional way. They had different crews come in for each step of the project: the forms, for the cement pour, for the AC outlets and soffit lighting, for the acrylic deck finish, and the aluminum framing and screening. In the end the $1K premium was insignificant for the peace of mind and overall success of the project. If cost is not your primary consideration go with a proven contractor.
Thanks! I am going to get a quote from T&D. Seems everyone has good things to say about them.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fofd1091 View Post
DO NOT use MTS Construction of Ocala. Took 9 months for a 30 day lanai enclose,always wanted money when he came by house. Only saw him 4 times. His response was The villages was too far away to send workers.failed 11 county inspections.
Warning::::: Do your research and look at other jobs,and ask home owners for first hand experience.
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-30-2016, 11:05 AM
Veteran member

A year and a half ago I had multiple bids but chose Demetri Homes [cell #352- 427-2787] for the addition (changed a LR from 11 X 15 to 15 X 17), added a 9ft front porch and added a 28 X 28 birdcage where my lanai had been. HIGHLY recommend them. Give them a call. They can show you my home with very short notice. If you'd like a private showing before making the call, PM me. Don't make a decision until you've checked them out. Best of luck to you.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
A year and a half ago I had multiple bids but chose Demetri Homes [cell #352- 427-2787] for the addition (changed a LR from 11 X 15 to 15 X 17), added a 9ft front porch and added a 28 X 28 birdcage where my lanai had been. HIGHLY recommend them. Give them a call. They can show you my home with very short notice. If you'd like a private showing before making the call, PM me. Don't make a decision until you've checked them out. Best of luck to you.
This is another recommendation for Demetri Homes. We had an addition put on the back of our home. Easy to work with, great communication and project done ahead of schedule. Demetri Homes was significantly less than T&D.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, enclosed, windows, sliders, bad

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.