Comcast Telephone Service

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Eternal Member
Default Comcast Telephone Service

I am thinking about getting rid of CenturyLink and adding Comcast telephone to my list of Comcast subscriptions.

I assume that I will need a modem with a telephone pickup in my house. Will this modem be separate from my interned modem? Can I put in in another room where I have a Comcast coaxial connection and a telephone jack?

Is anyone experiencing any problems with the Comcast telephone? Are there any telephones that cannot handle the Comcast hookup? I am curious because I have one of those state supplied hard of hearing telephones and I need it to carry on conversations with callers.

Any info would be appreciated.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I am thinking about getting rid of CenturyLink and adding Comcast telephone to my list of Comcast subscriptions.

I assume that I will need a modem with a telephone pickup in my house. Will this modem be separate from my interned modem? Can I put in in another room where I have a Comcast coaxial connection and a telephone jack?

Is anyone experiencing any problems with the Comcast telephone? Are there any telephones that cannot handle the Comcast hookup? I am curious because I have one of those state supplied hard of hearing telephones and I need it to carry on conversations with callers.

Any info would be appreciated.

Z
Once my Comcast was activated I was able to plug into any cable outlet in the house and get either internet or TV. The internet needed the modem between the outlet and the wireless router, but the TV connected directly to the outlet. I'm not sure about the new ditgital setup yet though. I haven't been back to TV since that started. I haven't had telephone yet so can say anything about that!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 09-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Sage

The internet and telephone modem is a single unit. The telephone part connects to a special telephone jack that activates the whole house telephone wiring so you can plug in any phone to any telephone jack and be connected. I don't know for sure about your special phone, but I would suspect that if it works an a regular jack now, it will work with the new system.

The only problem we have had with Comcast telephone is that if the cable goes out, so does your telephone service. We have had the cable cut during some landscaping misadventures and lost telephone as well as TV and internet until it was repaired. But other than those episodes, we have had very few cable interruptions.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:24 PM
Gold member

I was on the phone with the cable company techs attempting to fix an internet connection problem when the tech asked me to reboot the modem. You guessed it, the phone line also went dead....duh. Make sure you have a cell phone if you have your house phone via the cable company.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:11 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
The internet and telephone modem is a single unit. The telephone part connects to a special telephone jack that activates the whole house telephone wiring so you can plug in any phone to any telephone jack and be connected. I don't know for sure about your special phone, but I would suspect that if it works an a regular jack now, it will work with the new system.

The only problem we have had with Comcast telephone is that if the cable goes out, so does your telephone service. We have had the cable cut during some landscaping misadventures and lost telephone as well as TV and internet until it was repaired. But other than those episodes, we have had very few cable interruptions.
A friend of mine got the Comcast telephone and he did not have a telephone jack near the computer. They put the telephone modem in another room. Do you know if you can opt for a second modem for the telephone service and have them put it in another room?

The reason I ask is I am thinking about going out and buying my own cable modem and dropping the $7 a month charge.

Maybe I should do an online chat to work through my questions.

Z

Old 09-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
A friend of mine got the Comcast telephone and he did not have a telephone jack near the computer. They put the telephone modem in another room. Do you know if you can opt for a second modem for the telephone service and have them put it in another room?

The reason I ask is I am thinking about going out and buying my own cable modem and dropping the $7 a month charge.

Maybe I should do an online chat to work through my questions.

Z
The telephone modem is a combined internet/telephone modem and there is a rental fee, so I don't think you'll save much by getting your own modem. When I first had telephone installed, I had their modem for telephone and my own modem for internet because the installer told me it would be an additional charge to switch my internet service to their modem. Later, I found out there was no charge and removed my modem. Also, if you use your own modem and you have problems with your internet service, they will still come out to check, but if your modem is the problem, you'll have a service charge. But there is no problem putting the telephone modem on a separate cable outlet.

Another consideration is that Comcast is upgrading the systems around TV and will be able to offer higher internet speeds, but you'll need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem to do that. If you use their modem, the modem upgrade is free. If you buy your own, make sure it is DOCSIS 3.0 capable if higher speeds interest you.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:37 AM
Veteran member

We had the Triple play package with Comcast when we first moved in, and the phone works through the modem that they supplied. When we decided to go with Directv because we have subscribed to it for the past seventeen years up north, we got rid of Comcast TV and phone. We kept the internet and bought an Ooma system for phone. It connects to the modem or router (it's your choice), then we connected it to a phone jack in the wall jack. That activated all the jacks throughout the house. We had an initial problem with intermittent garbled calls when we had it connected directly to the modem, and customer service told us to connect it to the router instead. That solved the problem. One feature it has is, if your cable goes down, your house phone does not work, but the call is routed to your cell phones. It will ring both my wife's and mine, although it hasn't been needed yet. It has been flawless since. It cost $199 directly from Ooma, and the monthly fee is $3.47 for unlimited domestic long distance. We opted for the Premier package with more features and Google voice for $9.95 a month, but they gave it to us for $5.00 amonth for the first year if we paid in full. About a month ago, Ooma went down for about 3 hours because of a network failure but was restored. Don't know how many others have it, but we like it. Might want to ask other users if they like it, they might not be fans.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
The telephone modem is a combined internet/telephone modem and there is a rental fee, so I don't think you'll save much by getting your own modem. When I first had telephone installed, I had their modem for telephone and my own modem for internet because the installer told me it would be an additional charge to switch my internet service to their modem. Later, I found out there was no charge and removed my modem. Also, if you use your own modem and you have problems with your internet service, they will still come out to check, but if your modem is the problem, you'll have a service charge. But there is no problem putting the telephone modem on a separate cable outlet.

Another consideration is that Comcast is upgrading the systems around TV and will be able to offer higher internet speeds, but you'll need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem to do that. If you use their modem, the modem upgrade is free. If you buy your own, make sure it is DOCSIS 3.0 capable if higher speeds interest you.

That is bad news about the rental. I want to get rid of the $7 a month extra.

Special note: I am having internet problems - intermittent and at specific times in the day. I went down to Comcast to replace my rented modem and they gave me a 3.0 modem. I have not had problems since so I think this will fix the internet problems. But it has only been a couple of days so I will keep watching.

I guess I need to think about this.

Z

Old 10-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Eternal Member

I had Comcast install the telephone service this morning. Did any of you know that the telephone/modem is also a wireless router?

The installer set it up and I am now running all of my PCs (one attached and two wireless) off of that single modem.

Since I just bought a new wireless router from Walmart I can return it and get my money back. Less clutter and less wires.

This might be a pretty good deal.

Z

Old 10-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Smile Phone Service

Not a resident yet--- but have been a Central Office Tech with NW Bell, USWest, Qwest, now Century Link. 42 years. What kind of problems are you having? You shouldn't be having problems with our phone service, internet service or anything we offer. HOPE to be a resident in the next year or two. Have a GREAT DAY!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9027 View Post
Not a resident yet--- but have been a Central Office Tech with NW Bell, USWest, Qwest, now Century Link. 42 years. What kind of problems are you having? You shouldn't be having problems with our phone service, internet service or anything we offer. HOPE to be a resident in the next year or two. Have a GREAT DAY!
No problems with CenturyLink. Just too expensive. Comcast is offering a $19.99 deal for six months. Then I will go to the $24.99 plan.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:04 AM
Eternal Member
Default Telephone Books

I received the first of my 8 or 9 annual telephone books from CenturyLink.

That made me wonder. If I no longer have a CenturyLink telephone will I continue to receive these telephone books? Or will Comcast have to supply my books? Or do they have an arrangement with the local telephone companies to supply the books?

Old 10-31-2011, 09:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
I received the first of my 8 or 9 annual telephone books from CenturyLink.

That made me wonder. If I no longer have a CenturyLink telephone will I continue to receive these telephone books? Or will Comcast have to supply my books? Or do they have an arrangement with the local telephone companies to supply the books?
Z - We still get them even though we have not been CenturyLink customers for about 5 years. They do make good booster seats when the grandkids come.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:10 AM

Hi
I have been using Magic Jack for several years and it has been very good. Not without problems, but for the most part it works well. The newer MJ Plus is supposed to be even better. For about$120.00 for five years of service it is a real deal.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:32 AM

To the best of my knowledge. Dex has the telephone directories now. This part of the business was sold a few years back. You can call the number in the book to have it reduced. Have a GREAT DAY!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.