Lawn dethatching

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2018, 10:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Lawn dethatching

Any recommendations for someone who does that?
Old 10-14-2018, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,149 Times in 2,248 Posts

Please check with master gardener, from what I have seen this is not necessary, and depending on the type of grass you have maybe very bad for your lawn. Do not rely on the landscaping company for advice, use an independent source, like master gardener. They can be reached by phone or email.
Link: Search Results
Personally, we have been here over 5 years, and have not had the lawn dethatched, I was told grass is different here.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Please check with master gardener, from what I have seen this is not necessary, and depending on the type of grass you have maybe very bad for your lawn. Do not rely on the landscaping company for advice, use an independent source, like master gardener. They can be reached by phone or email.
Link: Search Results
Personally, we have been here over 5 years, and have not had the lawn dethatched, I was told grass is different here.

Thanks .. I have heard that before however if you look at our lawn it looks like some covered it with straw. When I rake up a small area you can actually see grass. The previous owner left us with a crappy lawn. I could probably do it myself with a good rake but I know I would regret it for weeks after.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Any recommendations for someone who does that?
You're probably better off aerating, which can lessen thatch build-up. Four of my neighbors had it done, then a top dressing of Black Kow was applied. Call Adam @ 352-342-1384.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Another source for info.
Search Result - UF/IFAS Extension
Old 10-14-2018, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Another source for info.
Search Result - UF/IFAS Extension
Excellent resource!

"Thatch Management
Zoysiagrasses typically develop a thick thatch layer in the years after establishment—especially when overfertilized with nitrogen. This thatch must be controlled or removed mechanically to maintain a uniform grass appearance. This is most often done using a vertical mower (dethatcher) or core aerator every year or two. Some have noted that scalping, during or shortly after spring green-up, helps reduce thatch buildup. One of the most important methods of reducing thatch buildup is to keep nitrogen fertility at the recommended levels. Proper mowing heights also help prevent thatch buildup."
Closed Thread

Tags
dethatching, recommendations, lawn

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.