Light kits for Hunter ceiling fans

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2020, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,706 Posts
Default Light kits for Hunter ceiling fans

Please advise where to buy the light kits, what size and who should instal them? (I have a designer built in 2007. ) Anything else I should know about these light kits?
Old 02-14-2020, 07:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

The light kits tend to be standardized, so Lowe's Home Depot, and probably ACE will be able to help. Now having said that, there are some potential gottchas, first, remove the bottom plate on your existing fan, and look at the connector, I have seen 3 different types, you will want a matching connector on the light kit. Take a picture to check the light kit. Second I have seen some light kits with unusual light sockets, try to stay with standard Edison base or candelabra sockets. The light kit should come with 2 new pulls, one for the fan and one for the lamp, check that these are actually labeled (and install correctly). Finally, some of the kits have only one chain color which may not match your chain, the end cap at the store should have matching chain.
I have done this several times, the new extension will match up with the holes and the diameter of the plate you removed, the light kit will plug in, and once the screws are tightened you should be good to go.
One final word of caution, depending on the builder, the BLUE wire at the TOP of the fan may not have been connected, if this is not connected, your light kit will not work. Also, if you are really lucky, the fan was wired with a additional RED wire in the cable from the existing wall switch. You can connect the RED wire to the BLUE wire, and change out the existing wall switch for a double switch and then have one switch for the fan and one for the light. i did this will all 4 of our ceiling fans.
I hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,706 Posts

Thank you for the detailed instructions. Also, would you recommend upgrading the fans to say 3 blade Casablanca, or since I’m here only half the year just buy light kits for the original fans?

Last edited by Velvet; 02-14-2020 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Please advise where to buy the light kits, what size and who should instal them? (I have a designer built in 2007. ) Anything else I should know about these light kits?
Having installed many light kits, it boils down to what style you like. There are many styles to chose from. Home Depot, Lowe’s, and Dan’s Fan City are local sources that carry light kits. In almost all circumstances these kits are “universal”, as there are not certain sizes that you need to be concerned with. You should also check Amazon, where you’ll find a little more variety than what is found locally
Old 02-15-2020, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Thank you for the detailed instructions. Also, would you recommend upgrading the fans to say 3 blade Casablanca, or since I’m here only half the year just buy light kits for the original fans?
We did not need to upgrade any of the fans, this is a personal decision. If you decide to upgrade the fans, and you are doing the install yourself. 1. Turn off the circuit breaker. 2. Take some steel wire and make a short hook (5 to 6 inches long) to temporarily hang the fan while you are doing the wiring, makes the job a lot easier.

Tags
light, kits, built, designer, instal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.