Local Italian Store? Need Fresh Ricotta

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2019, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
The difference is we wouldn't suggest you put your fresh fruit on Ricotta!

I do love cottage cheese, but it has its place.
Now,now, now....there are those who say that about other subjects and it is ouchy and touchy and hurts peoples feelers.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Velveeta has it's place as an ingredient. I am interested in the OP's recipe that calls for Ricotta cheese in a dessert and I will taste test it on a small group of guests.
I make a great taste tester.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Now,now, now....there are those who say that about other subjects and it is ouchy and touchy and hurts peoples feelers.
Not hurting anyone, or didn't mean to. I used to make a cassata alla Siciliana every year for my husband's birthday. No way would cottage cheese have worked in the filling between the layers.

This is a simplified version: Italian Ricotta Cassata Cake Recipe

The one I made was sponge cake with raspberry jelly filling, ricotta filling, drizzled in a liqueur. I think it was six layers, several fillings. Had some dried fruit in there somewhere. Anyway, no place for cottage cheese in there, or in a sweet Italian dessert.

My favorite way to eat cottage cheese is with steamed broccoli, cut-up tomatoes, salt & pepper and Catalina dressing. I also like it with fruit.

Last edited by CFrance; 11-23-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

I couldn't imagine filling a cannoli shell with creamed, sweetened cottage cheese. That'd be pretty disgusting.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I couldn't imagine filling a cannoli shell with creamed, sweetened cottage cheese. That'd be pretty disgusting.
Your opinion is noted.

We all have culinary tastes based on the way we were raised. You feel confident and familiar with East Coast Cuisine and I feel confident and familiar with mid-American cuisine. I never, nor did anyone I knew and went to school with taste Ricotta, Bagels, Smoked Salmon, Herring, or homemade Italian "gravy" or sauce until we were in our twenties. We are all different and we are all valuable and if everyone liked the same thing they would only sell vanilla ice cream.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-24-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Your opinion is noted.

We all have culinary tastes based on the way we were raised. You feel confident and familiar with East Coast Cuisine and I feel confident and familiar with mid-American cuisine. I never, nor did anyone I knew and went to school with taste Ricotta, Bagels, Smoked Salmon, Herring, or homemade Italian "gravy" or sauce until we were in our twenties. There are things that East coast people didn't enjoy living where they lived at the time and missed out on farm cooking and wonderful fresh milk and eggs and freshly slaughtered pork and beef.. We are all different and we are all valuable and if everyone liked the same thing they would only sell vanilla ice cream.
But what I think might have been grating (sorry) on people was someone who in the past has professed not knowing about Italian cuisine stating that someone else probably would not know the difference between cottage cheese and ricotta in an Italian dish. You're coming up against a noted cuisine, from a place of not very much experience, in response to a person who wants to find the real thing. That's all. I wouldn't comment on, say, how to make a curry from scratch if I hadn't done it or researched it.

I know you are an excellent cook. I apologize. I've over-reacted to your comment.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I have never tasted Ricotta. We called cottage cheese Schmearcase (sh-meer-cah-sah) when I was a child living in Columbus, Ohio.

I have strong suspicions that if you substituted cottage cheese in your dessert recipe, few would notice.

Ricotta vs Cottage Cheese – Which Should You Choose?
OUCH I come from an Italian neighborhood in the North East people would cry ( I would too ) if you substituted cottage cheese for ricotta.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Plus one!
Old 11-24-2019, 07:20 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
I have never tasted Ricotta. We called cottage cheese Schmearcase (sh-meer-cah-sah) when I was a child living in Columbus, Ohio.

I have strong suspicions that if you substituted cottage cheese in your dessert recipe, few would notice.
. . . [/url]
Holy Cannoli, Batman. My father-in-law could tell from which store his wife bought the fresh ricotta.

Best Cannoli Recipe - How to Make Homemade Cannoli
Old 11-24-2019, 08:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
But what I think might have been grating (sorry) on people was someone who in the past has professed not knowing about Italian cuisine stating that someone else probably would not know the difference between cottage cheese and ricotta in an Italian dish. You're coming up against a noted cuisine, from a place of not very much experience, in response to a person who wants to find the real thing. That's all. I wouldn't comment on, say, how to make a curry from scratch if I hadn't done it or researched it.

I know you are an excellent cook. I apologize. I've over-reacted to your comment.
I see that I have not been sensitive and as understanding as I should have been. This comes from many of us having completely different experiences than others in childhood and so the inclination comes sometimes unbidden to think...well, that's silly. I apologize to those I have been unkind and annoying to.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:10 AM
Sage

The very first time I had Italian cooking from an Italian person in their home was here in The Villages a dozen years ago....and that person's name is Diane Tucker, who ALSO recently gifted us with frozen sauce, pronounced soo-ahhs, at Christmas this past year. It is amazingly wonderful and she puts all kinds of meat into it including pork. Diane Tucker is in the top ten people I have loved at first sight in this world. She has many wonderful qualities besides cooking, but she talks a little funny.

No ONE should ever say mean things about how anyone cooks or the ingredients they use. NEVER.

I really believed that cottage cheese and ricotta were similar. I will buy some ricotta today or in the next few days. I am very sorry if I offended y'all nice folks.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:30 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
I apologize to those I have been unkind and annoying to.
I don't think you have been either -- simply an uneducated palate with regard to this particular food product.

My mom's version of Eyetalian food was a "box of number 8's" (boiled to death) with a jar of Ragu. So of course I knew nothing when I married into an authentic Italian family.

I was amazed and astounded that my very Italian Father-in-Law could even tell the brand of pasta simply by taste.

Gratefully I learned a lot about food from my in-laws since it was not part of my family's culture.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:33 AM
Sage
Default This is from last year and shows the latest trends on cheese buying in U.S.

The Most Popular Cheeses In The U.S. Are No Longer American | HuffPost Life

I just looked at Publix and we will have a tub of ricotta in the Gantner household by tonight.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:45 AM
Platinum member

Yes, but do keep in mind there is a big difference between the Ricotta in tubs and the freshly made Ricotta that the Italian deli's make.

I love a dollop of ricotta on spaghetti and meatballs.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
The Most Popular Cheeses In The U.S. Are No Longer American | HuffPost Life

I just looked at Publix and we will have a tub of ricotta in the Gantner household by tonight.
Next time try the tub and fresh. Better to compare deli and fresh from a recipe passed down generations. We make some of our own cheese. I always get big hugs for taking time to make fresh

Tags
italian, ricotta, fresh, good, stores

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.