Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Local Italian Store? Need Fresh Ricotta (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/local-italian-store-need-fresh-ricotta-300135/)

graciegirl 11-23-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1696825)
The difference is we wouldn't suggest you put your fresh fruit on Ricotta!

I do love cottage cheese, but it has its place.

Now,now, now....there are those who say that about other subjects and it is ouchy and touchy and hurts peoples feelers.

ckcapaul 11-23-2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1696829)
Velveeta has it's place as an ingredient. I am interested in the OP's recipe that calls for Ricotta cheese in a dessert and I will taste test it on a small group of guests.

I make a great taste tester.:bigbow:

CFrance 11-23-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1696830)
Now,now, now....there are those who say that about other subjects and it is ouchy and touchy and hurts peoples feelers.

Not hurting anyone, or didn't mean to. I used to make a cassata alla Siciliana every year for my husband's birthday. No way would cottage cheese have worked in the filling between the layers.

This is a simplified version: Italian Ricotta Cassata Cake Recipe

The one I made was sponge cake with raspberry jelly filling, ricotta filling, drizzled in a liqueur. I think it was six layers, several fillings. Had some dried fruit in there somewhere. Anyway, no place for cottage cheese in there, or in a sweet Italian dessert.

My favorite way to eat cottage cheese is with steamed broccoli, cut-up tomatoes, salt & pepper and Catalina dressing. I also like it with fruit.

OrangeBlossomBaby 11-23-2019 04:11 PM

I couldn't imagine filling a cannoli shell with creamed, sweetened cottage cheese. That'd be pretty disgusting.

graciegirl 11-23-2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1696856)
I couldn't imagine filling a cannoli shell with creamed, sweetened cottage cheese. That'd be pretty disgusting.

Your opinion is noted.

We all have culinary tastes based on the way we were raised. You feel confident and familiar with East Coast Cuisine and I feel confident and familiar with mid-American cuisine. I never, nor did anyone I knew and went to school with taste Ricotta, Bagels, Smoked Salmon, Herring, or homemade Italian "gravy" or sauce until we were in our twenties. We are all different and we are all valuable and if everyone liked the same thing they would only sell vanilla ice cream.

CFrance 11-23-2019 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1696865)
Your opinion is noted.

We all have culinary tastes based on the way we were raised. You feel confident and familiar with East Coast Cuisine and I feel confident and familiar with mid-American cuisine. I never, nor did anyone I knew and went to school with taste Ricotta, Bagels, Smoked Salmon, Herring, or homemade Italian "gravy" or sauce until we were in our twenties. There are things that East coast people didn't enjoy living where they lived at the time and missed out on farm cooking and wonderful fresh milk and eggs and freshly slaughtered pork and beef.. We are all different and we are all valuable and if everyone liked the same thing they would only sell vanilla ice cream.

But what I think might have been grating (sorry) on people was someone who in the past has professed not knowing about Italian cuisine stating that someone else probably would not know the difference between cottage cheese and ricotta in an Italian dish. You're coming up against a noted cuisine, from a place of not very much experience, in response to a person who wants to find the real thing. That's all. I wouldn't comment on, say, how to make a curry from scratch if I hadn't done it or researched it.

I know you are an excellent cook. I apologize. I've over-reacted to your comment.

B-flat 11-23-2019 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1696767)
I have never tasted Ricotta. We called cottage cheese Schmearcase (sh-meer-cah-sah) when I was a child living in Columbus, Ohio.

I have strong suspicions that if you substituted cottage cheese in your dessert recipe, few would notice.

Ricotta vs Cottage Cheese – Which Should You Choose?

OUCH I come from an Italian neighborhood in the North East people would cry ( I would too ) if you substituted cottage cheese for ricotta.

B-flat 11-23-2019 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1696856)

Plus one!

BK001 11-24-2019 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1696767)
I have never tasted Ricotta. We called cottage cheese Schmearcase (sh-meer-cah-sah) when I was a child living in Columbus, Ohio.

I have strong suspicions that if you substituted cottage cheese in your dessert recipe, few would notice.
. . . [/url]

Holy Cannoli, Batman. My father-in-law could tell from which store his wife bought the fresh ricotta.

Best Cannoli Recipe - How to Make Homemade Cannoli

graciegirl 11-24-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1696866)
But what I think might have been grating (sorry) on people was someone who in the past has professed not knowing about Italian cuisine stating that someone else probably would not know the difference between cottage cheese and ricotta in an Italian dish. You're coming up against a noted cuisine, from a place of not very much experience, in response to a person who wants to find the real thing. That's all. I wouldn't comment on, say, how to make a curry from scratch if I hadn't done it or researched it.

I know you are an excellent cook. I apologize. I've over-reacted to your comment.

I see that I have not been sensitive and as understanding as I should have been. This comes from many of us having completely different experiences than others in childhood and so the inclination comes sometimes unbidden to think...well, that's silly. I apologize to those I have been unkind and annoying to.

graciegirl 11-24-2019 08:10 AM

The very first time I had Italian cooking from an Italian person in their home was here in The Villages a dozen years ago....and that person's name is Diane Tucker, who ALSO recently gifted us with frozen sauce, pronounced soo-ahhs, at Christmas this past year. It is amazingly wonderful and she puts all kinds of meat into it including pork. Diane Tucker is in the top ten people I have loved at first sight in this world. She has many wonderful qualities besides cooking, but she talks a little funny. ;)

No ONE should ever say mean things about how anyone cooks or the ingredients they use. NEVER.

I really believed that cottage cheese and ricotta were similar. I will buy some ricotta today or in the next few days. I am very sorry if I offended y'all nice folks.

BK001 11-24-2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1696915)
I apologize to those I have been unkind and annoying to.

I don't think you have been either -- simply an uneducated palate with regard to this particular food product.

My mom's version of Eyetalian food was a "box of number 8's" (boiled to death) with a jar of Ragu. So of course I knew nothing when I married into an authentic Italian family.

I was amazed and astounded that my very Italian Father-in-Law could even tell the brand of pasta simply by taste.

Gratefully I learned a lot about food from my in-laws since it was not part of my family's culture.

graciegirl 11-24-2019 09:33 AM

This is from last year and shows the latest trends on cheese buying in U.S.

The Most Popular Cheeses In The U.S. Are No Longer American | HuffPost Life

I just looked at Publix and we will have a tub of ricotta in the Gantner household by tonight.

BK001 11-24-2019 09:45 AM

Yes, but do keep in mind there is a big difference between the Ricotta in tubs and the freshly made Ricotta that the Italian deli's make.

I love a dollop of ricotta on spaghetti and meatballs.

asianthree 11-24-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1696933)
The Most Popular Cheeses In The U.S. Are No Longer American | HuffPost Life

I just looked at Publix and we will have a tub of ricotta in the Gantner household by tonight.

Next time try the tub:ohdear: and fresh. Better to compare deli and fresh from a recipe passed down generations. We make some of our own cheese. I always get big hugs for taking time to make fresh