Local Italian Store? Need Fresh Ricotta

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2019, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Next time try the tub and fresh. Better to compare deli and fresh from a recipe passed down generations. We make some of our own cheese. I always get big hugs for taking time to make fresh
During the second world war, I was very small about four or five but remember that cheese and meat and eggs were rationed. We had friends on a farm who would gift us these precious commodities sometimes and I remember seeing grown ups making butter with a churn in our kitchen and they would make cottage cheese. I remember it hanging, dripping, from the clothes line in back.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
During the second world war, I was very small about four or five but remember that cheese and meat and eggs were rationed. We had friends on a farm who would gift us these precious commodities sometimes and I remember seeing grown ups making butter with a churn in our kitchen and they would make cottage cheese. I remember it hanging, dripping, from the clothes line in back.
Growing up we had a tobacco farm, horse farm, and the largest dairy farm in Kentucky. We used to go out and get fresh milk make our own cream, butter, cottage cheese. Yes there was a churn involved. We made cows milk, goat, and sheep cheese before it became a hot commodity as it is now.
Sur La Table has great cheese making classes, done pretty much the same as we did in the 60s.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Growing up we had a tobacco farm, horse farm, and the largest dairy farm in Kentucky. We used to go out and get fresh milk make our own cream, butter, cottage cheese. Yes there was a churn involved. We made cows milk, goat, and sheep cheese before it became a hot commodity as it is now.
Sur La Table has great cheese making classes, done pretty much the same as we did in the 60s.
We had all that in Connecticut (the East coast). In fact at one point in American history, our state was famous for its tobacco; the finest cigars in the world were rolled in those leaves. There are horse farms, dairy farms galore, and we got fresh hen and duck eggs from a small family farm 10 minutes from us. No refrigeration needed because we picked them up unwashed, and washed right before using. We also got fresh-picked produce from one of several organic farms in the area. I worked for one of the dairy manufacturers as a marketing secretary, our milk came from local dairies throughout the state. And Liuzzi cheese and Elm City cheese have been around forever (Elm City since 1896).

When someone from somewhere other than the east coast claims that "East coast people" are somehow lacking because we don't have the benefit of fresh milk and eggs, I don't know whether to roll my eyes or go all Jersey Girl on them.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
We had all that in Connecticut (the East coast). In fact at one point in American history, our state was famous for its tobacco; the finest cigars in the world were rolled in those leaves. There are horse farms, dairy farms galore, and we got fresh hen and duck eggs from a small family farm 10 minutes from us. No refrigeration needed because we picked them up unwashed, and washed right before using. We also got fresh-picked produce from one of several organic farms in the area. I worked for one of the dairy manufacturers as a marketing secretary, our milk came from local dairies throughout the state. And Liuzzi cheese and Elm City cheese have been around forever (Elm City since 1896).

When someone from somewhere other than the east coast claims that "East coast people" are somehow lacking because we don't have the benefit of fresh milk and eggs, I don't know whether to roll my eyes or go all Jersey Girl on them.
Maybe they meant just Manhattan life long residents.

I do know this;.....I have heard with my own ears, from my very own friends that some people from New Jersey claim to have eaten New Jersey corn and tomatoes that were superior to Ohio corn and tomatoes. Any living breathing American, knows that isn't possible!!!

reynoldsburg, ohio tomato festival - Bing images

Ohio sweet corn - Bing images

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-25-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:13 PM
Platinum member

We’ve been curious about the Little Italy Deli in Inverness, particularly their 5 course dinners on the weekend. Well today we decided to check out the deli. It’s closed till January. The deli is a literal hole-in-the-wall. We assume the restaurant is located behind the deli. Don’t want to prejudge this place based on appearances but having seen it, we’d be hard pressed to return. BTW, we met a local from Inverness earlier this month in TV. He described the Little Italy Deli in Inverness as “OK, but not worth the drive from TV.” We should have listened to him.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Italian Deli

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDCART View Post
We’ve been curious about the Little Italy :bigbowDeli in Inverness, particularly their 5 course dinners on the weekend. Well today we decided to check out the deli. It’s closed till January. The deli is a literal hole-in-the-wall. We assume the restaurant is located behind the deli. Don’t want to prejudge this place based on appearances but having seen it, we’d be hard pressed to return. BTW, we met a local from Inverness earlier this month in TV. He described the Little Italy Deli in Inverness as “OK, but not worth the drive from TV.” We should have listened to him.
Mazzaros in St. Pete is outstanding. I drive there every few months.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
Mazzaros in St. Pete is outstanding. I drive there every few months.
I agree " Mazzaros " is without a doubt the best. Gio's Deli in comparison is a Joke.

I went there for the first time on Dec.24th. bought Sausage and Peppers, Provolone.

Honestly, it was terrible the worst that we have ever had.

First time and the very last time that I will go.

Italian Deli? It is Lousy. Especially compared to Mazzaros.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDCART View Post
You might try Gio’s Deli on 301.
Are you serious? Gio's is a fake Italian Deli way overrated.

Better off going with Boars Head products.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

I really wish Sclafani or Cento would market their products down here in Florida. I haven't seen a single jar of marinated eggplant on a shelf in any supermarket or Target/Walmart I've been to. Not even Fresh Market.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:28 AM

Oh no GG, Ricotta pie or a cannoli even a lasagna must have ricotta cheese. Both my parents would roll over in their graves and reach out and slap me with the proverbial wooden spoon.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
I really wish Sclafani or Cento would market their products down here in Florida. I haven't seen a single jar of marinated eggplant on a shelf in any supermarket or Target/Walmart I've been to. Not even Fresh Market.
You can get Cento San Marzano Organic canned tomatoes in WalMart and also online from Amazon. You can also get marinated egplant online. The earth is flat now and everything is available somewhere!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-27-2019, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:

We are from the suburbs of Boston. Our two sons live in New Hampshire. Both States still have farms where you can get fresh milk, home made cheeses, home made ice cream. My son lives on 7 acres and has chickens for fresh eggs. They get their grass fed meats from a local farmer who has his animals humanely euthanized and sells his meats from the farm.

From living in TV I have learned one real lesson - most of us are ignorant of how people from different areas have been raised. To me, this country is more like a group of different countries than States.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-27-2019, 10:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have never tasted Ricotta. We called cottage cheese Schmearcase (sh-meer-cah-sah) when I was a child living in Columbus, Ohio.

I have strong suspicions that if you substituted cottage cheese in your dessert recipe, few would notice.

Ricotta vs Cottage Cheese – Which Should You Choose?
Oh Gracie you are always so helpful - Thanks for your suggestion
Old 12-27-2019, 11:19 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
Oh Gracie you are always so helpful - Thanks for your suggestion
As has been stated earlier by others, cottage cheese is a very poor substitute for ricotta in Italian cooking, unless of course you grew up with the substitution. I tried lasagna once with cottage cheese and couldn’t eat it. It tasted sour. Everyone else at the table who were not Italian, loved it.
Closed Thread

Tags
italian, ricotta, fresh, good, stores

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.