Longevity of heat pumps

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2021, 08:23 AM

We have a Trane. Had it originally when the house was built in 2020. It is still going strong. Get another opinion for sure.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:40 AM

If you are talking about a pool heat pump, Q Services LLC installed an Aquatherm pool heat pump for our pool in 2006, and it is still running beautifully.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
My experience with heat pumps the compressor last about 11 years just after the warranty out. Usually the compressor replacement is almost same cost as the outside unit. So most cases not worth repairing. inside unit should last longer. Usually thing’s going to fail are A coil rust out, maybe fan motor, or relay.
Warranty, they know far better than we consumers do what will fail and when.

Often like a tire warranty, it is prorated based on wear-remaining tread. The warranty is based on list price. Not, what you can buy the tire for so it is not as valuable as we think or are led to believe.

Worth repairing or does replacing make sense. Air conditioning units have gotten more efficient. To do that they have things like multi speed motors etc. Parts, like a multi-speed motor if, when, they fail are far more expensive.

There is a time were we are beating a dead horse. The line is not as clear as it is presented by the guy, the company trying to sell you a new system or the guy trying to convince you to do an expensive repair.

I believe in Florida AC life is about 14 years.

Repairs? I see it like light bulbs in a typical chandelier. Average bulb is rated at xxxx hours. You climb up a ladder and replace one. A week later another one blows.
Sometimes it makes sense when one blows to change them all.

Reality, behind me is my ceiling fan with four bulbs in it. One is blown. Change them all,
change one, or wait till another blows and be forced then to deal with it?
Old 05-12-2021, 09:42 AM

IMO
The life expectancy of a heat pump depends on several factors but how well the heat pump is maintained is important. Heat pumps normally last an average of 15 years, though some can wear out after a decade. Some of the newer units being manufactured today can last a bit longer.
• Replace or clean air filters regularly, according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
• Clean the fins on the outside condenser unit.
• Keep coils clean.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

It keeps these Co. in business. We live in Texas close to Dallas/Ft. Worth & around here the builders use a lot of Tankless Water Heaters & a lot of them are on outside of our homes, like ours. Most people here where we live only live here less than 2 yrs. & as you know we had some very cold weather here this past winter & needless to say a lot of our Tankless Heaters bursted, mine was only 2 yrs. old, & a lot of people had to spend $2,000 to get replaced but lucky for me I did ours myself. Only took about an hr. to change. So what I’m trying say is don’t never, ever get a Tankless Heater. If you do have it put on an inside wall.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:36 AM

Did you take the ten year extended warranty? We did and it was covered. Don't normally buy extended warranties but did on this major item. Sun Kool has been great honoring their warranty.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:02 AM

Been here 23 yrs and on my third heat pump. The current unit is about 2 yrs. old so 10 yrs/unit is about right. Depending on the age of yours, some of the units are not worth repairing because the refrigerant used in the older units is no longer available.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:28 AM

I learned the hard way that when hosing down the outside unit to clean it, you can easily bend the cooling fins by using too much water pressure. This drastically reduces their efficiency. Be carefull.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjombrello View Post
Been here 23 yrs and on my third heat pump. The current unit is about 2 yrs. old so 10 yrs/unit is about right. Depending on the age of yours, some of the units are not worth repairing because the refrigerant used in the older units is no longer available.
It is not true that older types of refrigerant are not available. Some older refrigerants can no longer be manufactured, but there is an adequate supply of recycled refrigerant that can be used to repair old HVAC units.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPassehl View Post
We bought our home 9 years and 5 months ago. We have just been informed our heat pump system needs replacing. I had expected the system to last at least 15 years. Am I wrong? Others experiences?
Ours is 18 years old and running strong. Neighbor got the replacement bad news a couple of years ago. Turned out it was a $35 capacitor, which took another neighbor 20 minutes to install.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:10 PM

New home 2011
Old 05-12-2021, 05:28 PM

Look in home warranty. If unit shot they replace for small fee
Old 05-12-2021, 07:39 PM

We have been told that our system needs to be replaced for several years. Our recent check- up-technician wanted only to have a sales person contact us.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:52 PM

Our unit is 9 years 11 months old , and we just had the compressor replaced. We have American Home Shield, so we paid $75 fee to American Home Shield. Because the ac companies are using a different type of freon now, I also had to pay $435 for new type. The repair company told us the compressor would have cost between $2,500 to $3,000 plus the new type of freon had we not had a home warranty.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
Was your home new when you bought it? You also didn’t mention what company gave you the assessment of the unit but Sunkool is notorious for wanting to replace a system too soon
We use Sunkool. They check the system and replace filters. A couple of years ago there was a prolonged heat spell and we lost our air conditioning. The repair person couldn't get to us until eleven at night. He wasn't young and we were so grateful. He had been deluged .

I read a lot of stuff on here and I haven't ever heard or read bad stuff about Sunkool.

Tags
system, years, wrong, expected, replacing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.