Looking for Golf Cart insurance to include my renters

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2015, 10:57 PM
Default Looking for Golf Cart insurance to include my renters

Does anyone know a insurance co. where l can get golf cart insurance that will cover my tenants at my rental.
Thanks
Judy
Old 02-10-2015, 06:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Doesn't exist anymore.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:08 AM
Platinum member

I know for a fact State Farm will not cover renters.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:57 AM

I checked with The Villages Insurance, State Farm, Allstate. No one will cover it. I had my renters sign a waiver but there are loop holes in any waiver. If you really don't want to take any chances don't include golf cart with rent, have them rent on there own to a business like Villages Golf carts and reduce the rent to make up the difference or negotiate. I talked to an attorney about it and the safest and most protection for you is to not include with rental.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:07 AM
Veteran member

Check with Tom Keedy, Allstate in Lady Lake. They did it as of a few months ago. You just have to stipulate that you are NOT renting the golf cart out. You are loaning the golf cart while they rent your house.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:21 AM

Thanks, Progressive use to cover, now stopped. Renters are coming in April, it is in their lease for a golf cart. How do l change it. All state covers friends and family

Judy
Old 02-10-2015, 08:27 AM
Veteran member

I have lived here in The Villages for 5 years and this year is the absolute worst as far as aggressive driving, golf cart and cars! We have had so many near misses with drivers not paying attention or driving as if they were the only ones on the road.

I am amazed at the amount of people that rent their properties out and include a golf cart! You have worked your entire life to get to where you are and can lose it all by one careless act from your renter.

Signing waivers, etc. any lawyer can get around them and will put a lot of distance between you and your money! My brother-in-law purchased a villa 1.5 years ago for investment and had no problem renting it from Thanksgiving thru mid-May for 2 seasons without a golf cart. He turns many people away cause he is booked solid for those months.

Be careful and you may want to re-consider including a cart in your rental property.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:00 AM

Progressive use to cover renters, now stopped. Renters are coming in April, All State covers friends and family. Golf cart is not written in the lease, but l agreed to rent them one. Any ideas what to do as Progressive stopped the coverage?
Judy
Old 02-10-2015, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybeanrt View Post
Progressive use to cover renters, now stopped. Renters are coming in April, All State covers friends and family. Golf cart is not written in the lease, but l agreed to rent them one. Any ideas what to do as Progressive stopped the coverage?
Judy
You say that you agreed to rent them a golf cart, but it is not part of the lease agreement. Does that mean the rent that you are charging them therefore does not include the rental cost of the golf cart? If so, I don't see much of a problem. I would call the renters and tell them about your situation and offer them a list of options where they could rent a golf cart on their own when they get there. If the rental cost included the rental of your golf cart, I would refund them the amount it would cost to rent one on their own. Even if it did not include renting your golf cart, you could still offer a small discount on the rent if you think that would be fair for the inconvenience on their part. The bottom line is you must talk to the renters and negotiate some time of deal that is reasonable to both parties. I WOULD NOT RENT OUT MY OWN GOLF CART TO RENTERS FOR THE OBVIOUS REASONS STATED BY OTHER POSTERS. Good luck, jellybean!
Old 02-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
Check with Tom Keedy, Allstate in Lady Lake. They did it as of a few months ago. You just have to stipulate that you are NOT renting the golf cart out. You are loaning the golf cart while they rent your house.

Follow this advise at your own risk.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:37 PM
Veteran member

If you're a nervous Nellie and it's going to cause you sleepless nights, just knock a few hundred off the rent and let them rent one.
I rented my house out for years, along with the golf cart and never had a problem. As a matter of fact, I've never heard of a single villager who lost their home and life savings because of a renter wrecking their golf cart. But if I wanted to, I could sit around and dream up dozens of reasons to never even go outside my door.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:13 PM
Gold member

Don't kid yourself. If your rental home tenant OR their 13-year-old grandchild--as I have witnessed--is using your golf cart, whether "borrowing" it or paying you for it, you will be held liable if they kill or maim somebody with it.

And when golf cart rental dealers (who have the renters sign a waiver holding dealer harmless) brag that their regular cart will go 28 mph (when the speed limit is 20 for carts), plan on going to court for speeding in an unlicensed, unregistered, uninsured motor vehicle and maybe an unlicensed teen driver besides.

And no, the insurers do not write golf cart insurance policies for renters' liability. "Write" is the operative word, not some verbal statement from an agent.
"At a recent POA meeting, Captain Gail Lazenby confirmed that there have been a least 10 fatalities in The Villages related to golf carts in the last four years.(P.S. as of November 2012 there have now been at least 12 fatalities in the last five years.)"
http://www.poa4us.org/golfcart_crashes_2.html

Old 02-10-2015, 01:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
Don't kid yourself. If your rental home tenant OR their 13-year-old grandchild--as I have witnessed--is using your golf cart, whether "borrowing" it or paying you for it, you will be held liable if they kill or maim somebody with it.

And when golf cart rental dealers (who have the renters sign a waiver holding dealer harmless) brag that their regular cart will go 28 mph (when the speed limit is 20 for carts), plan on going to court for speeding in an unlicensed, unregistered, uninsured motor vehicle and maybe an unlicensed teen driver besides.

And no, the insurers do not write golf cart insurance policies for renters' liability. "Write" is the operative word, not some verbal statement from an agent.
"At a recent POA meeting, Captain Gail Lazenby confirmed that there have been a least 10 fatalities in The Villages related to golf carts in the last four years.(P.S. as of November 2012 there have now been at least 12 fatalities in the last five years.)"
http://www.poa4us.org/golfcart_crashes_2.html

Good solid advice.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.