Looking at GPS units

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2011, 06:52 AM
Veteran member
Default Looking at GPS units

Am thinking of buying a GPS (I know, behind the times:-) Anyone care to share experience, opinions, etc. on what brand/model?
Old 06-08-2011, 07:00 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I would look at getting the app for your cell phone. If you have a smart phone, (iphone, android, etc) you can get an app for a navigation system. Same for a golf course app. Replace gps, skycaddy, and probably other widely used devices.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 AM
Sage

Here are a couple of recent posts on the topic:

New Car and GPS

GPS Questions - Help

Bill
Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

What type of GPS are you looking to purchase? For golf or car?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G
Default Gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourpar View Post
Am thinking of buying a GPS (I know, behind the times:-) Anyone care to share experience, opinions, etc. on what brand/model?
I just ordered a Garmin 1450LMT from the Garmin Factory Outlet Store. It has lifetime map updates and traffic. Was over $100 cheaper than local stores. Go to www.garmin.com, click link to outlet store. Mine works great, has all TV streets, my old Tom Tom after 9 ($400 total) updates still does not have them.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Send a message via AIM to tomdice Send a message via Yahoo to tomdice Send a message via Skype™ to tomdice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS G View Post
I just ordered a Garmin 1450LMT from the Garmin Factory Outlet Store. It has lifetime map updates and traffic. Was over $100 cheaper than local stores. Go to www.garmin.com, click link to outlet store. Mine works great, has all TV streets, my old Tom Tom after 9 ($400 total) updates still does not have them.
Does it show Jordan St???
Old 06-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Get one that speaks the names of the roads.
Large screen.
In bright sun you may have problems reading any GPS.
One that you can subscript to free map updates.Maps are expensive and in TV you might want to stay current on maps.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Gold member

Consumer Reports recently tested some GPS units. If you have access to some recent back issues (library etc.) there is some good information as well as pros and cons of each.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Gold member

Do lots of research. We have two Garrmin units. Cost us 90 bucks each for life time updates. Was way out of date on our first visit to the villages. After update, shows the new Buttonwood streets and lots of other things.

Some Garmin units come with a life time update when you purchase the unit. We have found that they are really great for getting around in new cities but leave a lot to be desired when going from city to city. Our RV Gramin was great for keeping us out of tight spots, at the time was pulling a 37 foot 5th Wheel.

A GPS is easier, IMO, to use when driving that an iphone or other hand held device. Lots safer to.
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Home Protection Instructor
Retired Army Military Police Investigator - 20 years, 4 months, 13 days
Retired Deputy Sheriff/Corrections Officer
IDPA Safety Officer Instructor
All skill is in vain when an Angel weewees in the flintlock of your musket.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Send a message via AIM to tomdice Send a message via Yahoo to tomdice Send a message via Skype™ to tomdice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figmo Bohica View Post
Do lots of research. We have two Garrmin units. Cost us 90 bucks each for life time updates. Was way out of date on our first visit to the villages. After update, shows the new Buttonwood streets and lots of other things.

Some Garmin units come with a life time update when you purchase the unit. We have found that they are really great for getting around in new cities but leave a lot to be desired when going from city to city. Our RV Gramin was great for keeping us out of tight spots, at the time was pulling a 37 foot 5th Wheel.

A GPS is easier, IMO, to use when driving that an iphone or other hand held device. Lots safer to.
do u get jordan st on your gps?
Old 06-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Default TV no gps for cart paths

Instead of selling a map for $5 that costs pennies..TV should have a gps that has all the rec centers.golf courses, other attractions with maps to take you where you wanted to go in a golf cart path...if your business is not part of TV company..they could sell you a spot in one of the navigation sections. Would be great to have an iPhone app with the data base of the activities you could put in phone...it's Wednesday at 11 a.m want to pickleball where are the locations that have open play at this time? It shows what is avaiable, you chose where u want to play, and the iPhone with the internal gps app will take u there via cart route or via automobile route. All this can be done it is practice in many colleges for visitors or new students. I bet this could be paid for with one weeks receipts from one bait shack. They could sell the app, or maybe just give it away for promotion (not a chance). It sure would make visitors much more at ease. The more relaxed they are the better the chance of buying!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Default Gps

Can any1 tell me can u get JORDAN ST to show up on your gps?
Old 06-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Gold member

Hey, I don't even live in TV, and want to know if Jordan Street shows up on anyones GPS.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Sage

As far as I'm concerned Garmin is the only brand to get. I've known several that got other top well known brands only to regret it compared to Garmin.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfield illinois View Post
Instead of selling a map for $5 that costs pennies..TV should have a gps that has all the rec centers.golf courses, other attractions with maps to take you where you wanted to go in a golf cart path...if your business is not part of TV company..they could sell you a spot in one of the navigation sections. Would be great to have an iPhone app with the data base of the activities you could put in phone...it's Wednesday at 11 a.m want to pickleball where are the locations that have open play at this time? It shows what is avaiable, you chose where u want to play, and the iPhone with the internal gps app will take u there via cart route or via automobile route. All this can be done it is practice in many colleges for visitors or new students. I bet this could be paid for with one weeks receipts from one bait shack. They could sell the app, or maybe just give it away for promotion (not a chance). It sure would make visitors much more at ease. The more relaxed they are the better the chance of buying!
My Android smartphone has all of the cart trails on it....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.