Looking at GPS units

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Veteran member

First of all, dumb me! I should have specified GPS for the car, not golf course.
Many thanks for the inputs. I appreciate that. I looked at PC Mag's site and they speak highly of the Tom Tom via 1535TM.
I am currently using a borrowed Garmin (Street something) and it does the job, but is well over a year out of date. Hasn't been an issue for me, but fee lifetime updates (without advertisements) would be a real plus.
Sounds like most here like the Garmin, though...
Thanks again to all,
Old 06-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Veteran member
Default Car GPS

I have a Garmin:

1> I had to buy lifetime MAPS ( now they are included in many models)
Living in TV it's a must I would think.
2> Lane assist is also a great thing to have on busy highways.
Mine shows all the possible lanes there is and highlights the lane you need to be in. Boy I needed it bad in Atlanta and because I didn't I must have missed turn offs the whole time we were there. I guess living in NYC I was much better traversing highways 35 years ago
3> Mine also has traffic updates but it seems to be a waste for me....
My son has the same model and it diverted him through Manhattan.
That made me LOL.

Good luck.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Send a message via AIM to tomdice Send a message via Yahoo to tomdice Send a message via Skype™ to tomdice
Default Gps

I spoke with a TomTom rep ahd he said if google maps don't show the street it will not be on any map updates for the gps's.
Tommy
Old 06-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdice View Post
Can any1 tell me can u get JORDAN ST to show up on your gps?
Yes it is shown on Garmin City Navigator version 2012.10. It was also shown on version 2011.40 but NOT in version 2011.10. Updates are usually released four times a year (Feb, May, July and Nov) but those months are not caste in concrete. Garmin's release numbering system is a little odd.

You can always check to see if a location is on the current released version by going to this web site.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...56#coverageTab

Click on the USA and move to the area of the country you are interested in. It takes some time to move things around but you can get there.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:02 PM

My 2009 Magellan beats my wifes 2011 Garmin hands down. As you start to type the street name in on my magellan, it already starts to list the possable streets, very quick. If this one went bad I would have no problem buying a newer model magellan, I would love to see what they have now, but this one works flawless. I put one map upgrade in at the end of 2009 and it had many of the new streets in the villages. Granted, it is behind on the streets now here on the villages, and I may do another map upgrade at the end of 2011.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Veteran member
Default magellan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
My 2009 Magellan beats my wifes 2011 Garmin hands down. As you start to type the street name in on my magellan, it already starts to list the possable streets, very quick. If this one went bad I would have no problem buying a newer model magellan, I would love to see what they have now, but this one works flawless. I put one map upgrade in at the end of 2009 and it had many of the new streets in the villages. Granted, it is behind on the streets now here on the villages, and I may do another map upgrade at the end of 2011.
I will second the vote for Magellan. Have a Magellan 5045 LM. Has 5 inch screen (paid $169 at Best Buy DEC 2010 ). Has LIFETIME MAPS included for free. AAA deals on attractions. Traffic reroute for highway backup events. Also has LANE ASSIST for "spaghetti-junctions" ( saved my hiney several times ). Especially like the "tap and save feature" --- where you simply tap the screen at the tip of the directional diamond on screen. You can now find that secret beach again. Has 2-D or 3-D viewability. Has "one Touch' feature ....blah..blah..blah.. Heck, was in Vero Beach and wanted to go to a "nice Museum" ---the Darn thing found one--. On way back to Villages from Fishin' in Sebastian wanted to do an Airboat ride, she found six places to choose from.. gave me a discount code etc.(total miles out of the way = eleven). Named her " Wanda ".......because one can "wander" anywhere ..and.. find things of interest (including the phone number). Can also choose between back roads--highways-- fastest or shortest route. IMHO...Lotsa Bang for the Buck. The old smaller screen unit sits on dash of golf cart.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.