Looking for local plumber to ........

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2019, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Looking for local plumber to ........

run a straight pipe about 3-4 FEET from my master bathroom turlet to the outside wall to add a hose bibb. Not interested in these $125/hour big companies. Anyone know of a local self-employed guy who is really a plumber? It will require cutting/removing a small piece of wallboard behind the commode to access the water line, drilling a hole thru the wall and attaching the hose bibb outside.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Gary Stambaugh 352 460-3173 We had the tub pulled out of the guest bathroom and replace with a shower. One of the big companies estimate was $995. He did the complete job for $220 We needed the drain moved and the spigot moved up. What a difference. I had another estimate for $450.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,587 Times in 5,184 Posts

Someone who is "really a plumber" will have a Florida plumbing contractor license. You can verify that with the following link.

Licensing Portal - License Search

It doesn't appear that Gary Stambaugh has a plumbing license, but it may be listed under another name. If you want the job done by a licensed plumber, I would suggest you ask for their license number before they even come to your house. It is very easy to verify. I don't think that most self employed guys doing plumbing work in The Villages will be licensed plumbers, but you may find one.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Gary worked for one of the big name companies and went out on his own. We are very pleased with the work he performed.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't think that most self employed guys doing plumbing work in The Villages will be licensed plumbers, but you may find one.
Never said "in The Villages" just looking for a local plumber. Could be any town around here. I prefer a hard working local guy trying to make a living over these big corporate guys with 30 trucks and a bunch of kids (licensed or otherwise) doing the jobs. They deserve a break and are usually much more reasonable as well. Gotta give the small business guy a break.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Never said "in The Villages" just looking for a local plumber. Could be any town around here. I prefer a hard working local guy trying to make a living over these big corporate guys with 30 trucks and a bunch of kids (licensed or otherwise) doing the jobs. They deserve a break and are usually much more reasonable as well. Gotta give the small business guy a break.
I don't know what you mean by "in The Villages" because most plumbers doing work here do not live here. I agree with giving a small business a break, but, you will be taking a risk if you hire someone who is not a licensed plumber. But, many people do hire unlicensed plumbers because they are usually cheaper. It is not easy to get a plumbing license in Florida, but they are typically more trained, experienced, and qualified than unlicensed "plumbers". I am pretty cheap, but I would not hire an unlicensed plumber to install new pressurized piping inside my house, especially behind a wall. And, it is very easy to determine if the guy you hire has the appropriate license. Good luck with your project.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't think that most self employed guys doing plumbing work in The Villages will be licensed plumbers, but you may find one.
I guess I mis-read your comment but after re-reading it I'm still confused. I don't understand why you said what I highlighted above. You are saying that "most" self-employed plumbers from (for example) Wildwood, Leesburg or Ocala who would be doing work in the Villages won't be licensed. Why not? Aren't there are plumbers who work on their own and have their own business with a truck with their name on the side? Father/Son/Daughter businesses etc. Is that not the case in Florida? I would guess that they would need a license to run a plumbing business or maybe I am missing something. There were DOZENS up north. I don't care where they reside just that they know how to drive here. Maybe I am just being dense. Wouldn't be the first time.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
I guess I mis-read your comment but after re-reading it I'm still confused. I don't understand why you said what I highlighted above. You are saying that "most" self-employed plumbers from (for example) Wildwood, Leesburg or Ocala who would be doing work in the Villages won't be licensed. Why not? Aren't there are plumbers who work on their own and have their own business with a truck with their name on the side? Father/Son/Daughter businesses etc. Is that not the case in Florida? I would guess that they would need a license to run a plumbing business or maybe I am missing something. There were DOZENS up north. I don't care where they reside just that they know how to drive here. Maybe I am just being dense. Wouldn't be the first time.
I'm sorry. I was thinking about all of the handyman or small general contractor businesses that do work in The Villages. Most of them will do plumbing and electrical work, even if they don't have a plumbing or electrician license. But, a licensed plumber will most likely only do plumbing work, and they will have plenty of it to do. So, if a guy is advertised as a plumber only, he will probably have a license. I may hire a handyman to install a faucet or a ceiling fan in conjunction with other work, such as drywall. But, if the work is strictly plumbing, and it involves cutting and installing new pipes hidden in the wall, I would only hire a licensed plumber. I don't know of any self employed plumbers, but you may be able to find one locally. But, I doubt if you will find a handyman or self employed contractor who has a plumbing license, because it is a specialized license, not just a business license.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:36 AM

I am also seeking a plummer that can handle drains, as well as water flow. If they can do the work in an American way, this would be even be perfered!

Please send me one of those phone based letters to discuss this in more options! Thank you!
Old 10-31-2019, 05:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
Gary Stambaugh 352 460-3173 We had the tub pulled out of the guest bathroom and replace with a shower. One of the big companies estimate was $995. He did the complete job for $220 We needed the drain moved and the spigot moved up. What a difference. I had another estimate for $450.

Thanks for the referral ... called him today and he came out today. He did an excellent job and was very reasonable.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:40 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,092 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the referral ... called him today and he came out today. He did an excellent job and was very reasonable.
Great that you are satisfied. Sure did have to take a lot of cautions from this site.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:26 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to the square

Turlet ????
Old 11-01-2019, 07:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by the square View Post
Turlet ????
A tower like they had in medieval times, don't you know, only smaller 'cause it's in The Villages, that they used to throw the contents of chamber pots out of and yell "Gardy Loo!"
Old 11-01-2019, 10:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by the square View Post
Turlet ????
Urban Dictionary: turlet

ARCHIE: "Edith, get off the dammed turlet and make me dinner!"
EDITH: "Ohhhhkay Aaaachie! Ill be right there."

Last edited by EdFNJ; 11-01-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
local, plumber, companies, self-employed, guy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.