Looking for recommendations for a roofer

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2021, 06:23 AM

Skymark roofing did a great job for us recently
Old 04-28-2021, 06:23 AM
Default Roofing Facts To Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswymer View Post
I live in Lynnhaven and I am in need of a roofer. Any recommendations would be great.

Thank you,
Jay

Roofing – Facts You Should Know – For Your Best and Safest Choice
1) Told “ROOFER” Did A Great Job! … beware; anybody saying “they just finished and did a great job” doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Most workmanship defects do not show up until at least a year – typically years 3-5.
2) Roofer Recommended – Use My Name… these people are likely getting a $200 kick back from the roofer if you do that.
3) Quick Facts About Roofs
a. BBB (Better Business Bureau) … roofing is one of the biggest complaint areas
b. Warranty… why are manufacturer warranties so long? Because they know 9 out of 10 roofs are void the day they’re installed; scary, 99% of roofers don’t even know that.
c. Roof Performance… what is most important is underneath the shingle – what you don’t see. So – most roofers cut corners there to make money – because you wouldn’t know.
d. Insurance Claims… get three bids? Frankly, that is often ridiculous. Insurance is hoping that you’ll get three bids – choose the cheapest – and they’re off easy. Reality is – if you allow the roofer to negotiate on your behalf – they get whatever price they can justify to insurance – even if the quote to you was significantly lower. Lesson – sign up the BEST ROOFER – not the cheapest!
e. Contractors… almost every contractor in The Villages is a marketing company. The crews doing the work are subcontractors. So – even if they show you certifications, insurance, etc., it is basically crap – because the liability (and quality) is based on the crew. Since these marketing contractors (industry calls them “storm chasers” – that follow the wind and hail – they are off to the next storm – and don’t stand behind their warranties anyway. Their salespeople are NICE - make you FEEL GREAT – and make well over hundred thousand with this sales approach.
4) Some Things I Look/Ask For – Roofs I’ve Helped With:
a. Quality Shingle… avoid IKO, TAMKO, ATLAS (they are not great at honoring their warranties); acceptable is Owens Corning (but it is thin – not as attractive – less dimension); Best are CertainTeed (heavy) and GAF (great technology).
b. Starter Strip… insist it is a “pro grade” – not a common 3 -tab flipped over. And – make sure it is at BOTH the eave and rake edges. The eave and rake get the most wind uplift; the pro grade starter strip provides superior wind resistance.
c. Underlayment. Use synthetics; do not use the common paper (i.e. 15 or 30 lbs. felt)
d. Current Insurance… some contractors pay the first month, and keep using a defunct insurance policy as evidence. Not real common – but when it happens – can be a BIG RISK. (example I know about: Lenox Fine China got fine $6 million – years ago in this situation – when somebody fell of their roof – and the contractor used this insurance scam.)
e. Leak Barrier… some call it “ice and water shield. Make sure it is at ALL vulnerable areas including the valley and around all penetrations. These are “self-healing membranes” and when the house does a slight shift (all homes do), the roof will stay watertight.
f. Metal Flashing… make sure they do not “re-use” the old stuff. You want it custom fit with new metal.
g. Ridge Shingle… do not allow cheap 3 – tab which is common – you want a Pro Grade ridge shingle. When you don’t, you diminish your roof to a 20-year warranty essentially.
h. Fastening… two issues: 1) if they don’t check the air pressure, nails can be too deep (causes tears) or not deep enough (creates holes). MORE importantly, are they keeping the nails INSIDE THE NAIL ZONE. If not, more vulnerable to wind blow off.
i. Wind Mitigation Certification… get it; it can lower your homeowner’s insurance by over a $100 per year.
j. Clean Up… including the gutters. Ideally, have them use a magnet sweeper for the lawn and shrubs to make sure none dropped.
k. Debris Capture… ideally directly from the roof into the container. When they drop and gather in wheel barrels, often nails get lose and can cause safety issues later.
l. Ridge Vent… make sure it is on “all ridges” that are over heated spaces and also make sure it extends to at most 18 inches from each edge. Lots of contractor’s cheat – save money by not extending the vent to the full length. The risk is not enough ventilation, which results in these common issues:
i. Voided Warranty… not enough “exhaust” at the ridge to meet code.
ii. Health Risks… by not creating air flow, warm/moist are is trapped in the attic. The recipe for mold is warm moist air in a dark environment with organic material.
iii. High Energy Costs… 2% moisture in attic ventilation reduces the effectiveness by 1/3
iv. Roof Durability… if the deck (under the shingles) gets too hot, the shingles “fry” out – in Florida, typically lasts about 13 – 18 years max.
m. Hip Roof?... they typically have only a small area of ridge. Therefore, highly recommend a few solar powered vents to assure “exhaust” ventilation.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:45 AM

SPS roofing in Bellview did a good job for us...
Old 04-28-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswymer View Post
I live in Lynnhaven and I am in need of a roofer. Any recommendations would be great.

Thank you,
Jay
Highly recommend Batterbee. Professional and clean, neat work.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:07 AM

APC roofing has done at least 10 roofs in our neighborhood (Bridgeport @ LM) and everyone is happy.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:08 AM

Another vote for McHale. They did my 11,000 ft2 roof and also a 4 tile repair for a friend.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:24 AM

Yes sack roofing very professional trusted group. They are highly recommended by the villages, my insurance company and neighbors. They did a lot of work after the 2007 tornado in the mallory square area. If need free estimate they are honest and won’t sell you new roof or repairs if not needed. Sack Roofing, Inc.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:37 AM

5 Star Roofing put in my new roof. Very easy and nice to deal with!
Old 04-28-2021, 08:17 AM

West Orange Roofing, very old, large company, A+ rating BBB. Works for developer, too.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:46 AM

We used The Exterior Company (TEC), and Mario was awesome to work with. Very pleased.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:13 AM
Default Great roofer

We are in the Broyhill villas and recently replaced the roof. We got several estimates but we went with Quality Services Roofing 352-236-7663 or 352-751-7661. Great product, price and workmanship. They did not require a deposit. We highly recommend them.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:33 AM
Default Roofer

We used Skylight. Good price, great work.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:44 AM

Batterbee!
Old 04-28-2021, 11:03 AM

Quality Roofing..great people, great job and great price!
Old 04-28-2021, 11:12 AM
Default Another vote for Batterbee

Batterbee did our roof a year ago. Great experience…no complaints!
Closed Thread

Tags
recommendations, roofer, great, lynnhaven, live

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.