Low spot on lanai

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2019, 11:01 AM
Default Low spot on lanai

I have a low spot on the rear of my lanai where water collects and gets dirty over time. I installed two lift up gates to aid in drainage but the low area is further back. I’m not a DIY’er and looking for anyone who has had this problem and had it corrected by someone who knows what they are doing. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

If it is a small area, I would ask T&D Concrete to come out and level it with a concrete topping. But, depending on how well it bonds to the concrete, it may tend to spall off. If it is in a traffic area, maybe you could cover the repaired area with a carpet to prevent spalling.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

We had this problem and what we did was have an additional "stress cut" placed so it went right through the low area and out to the side of the birdcage, problem solved. I just have to keep the stress cut open to the end of the concrete so it drains properly.
I have seen posts where others drilled a hole through the concrete pad, I was not confortable with that solution, but it might work for you.
Hope this helps.

I forgot to mention, call home warranty, if I recall structural problems are covered for 10 years, but i have no idea if this would be considered a problem.

Last edited by villagetinker; 08-08-2019 at 01:29 PM. Reason: added note about home warranty
Old 08-11-2019, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:16 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Water collecting near the birdcage edge of the lanai is common. Folks solve this in different ways, including installing screened in drains, etc. Tim Cox sells and installs these and they do a good job.

Low spots away from this edge is more difficult to solve. They are called "birdbaths". Happens every so often, especially if the folks who are pouring and finishing the pad do not take their time and are not careful to prevent them.

Three ways to solve this problem is either to put in another relief cut through this birdbath to the edge cutting the slab the same way it slopes.

The other way would be to etch this area and pout a concrete floor leveling compound in the birdbath. The downside to this is that it will be unsightly. A new finish would need to be applied, like a "cool touch" finish. T & D does this, as do other companies.

The third way to solve this is simular. Adding a thicker finish, like the stamped concrete finish, tile, etc, can level out this birdbath and eliminate it.

It is doubtful that warranty would do anything about this past the year, as it is considered "cosmetic" to The Villages. Their viewpoint might be that the slab preforms as functions. That being said, I have seen T&D cover this and take care of it, but not in every case.

Unless the birdbath could be seen either by discoloration, or a puddle after a rain, they are not always easily seen, especially with rugs, furniture, etc., unless the homeowner points it out. This is an item that has the highest chance of getting fixed IF it was on your 30 day checklist, when things have the highest chance of being corrected. I have also seen this repaired during the one year warranty inspection, if it is on the report. After that year, the chance of this getting fixed may diminish....one would have to speak to T & D about it.

Hope this helps!

Frank

Tags
low, spot, lanai, back, i’m

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.