Majic Stairs

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2022, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts
Default Majic Stairs

We will be getting an estimate for Majic Stairs for our attic access. I just read a couple of old CLOSED threads about attic stairs and I'd like more of a head's up before the estimate.

I figure the attic opening will have to be enlarged. Anyone who has had the stairs installed......how much larger does the opening have to be than what what put in by the builder? We had our pull down ladder replaced when we moved in, with a very sturdy aluminum ladder but we now realize having normal stairs would be safer for all the activity we have up and down that ladder.

Any information and experience with the company and also with the function of the stairs would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

https://majicstairsinc.com/

Last edited by coffeebean; 01-15-2022 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

You're looking in the neighborhood of $3,500. Maybe a little more if they have to install an outlet or move a gas line. Work was done when they said. The installer did a great job,

At first it was hard spending that much money on attic access. But it is money we feel even more now that we've been here for over nine months that was money well spent. Having actual stairs with a hand rail is soooo nice.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 01-15-2022, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

2 questions......

1. What are "all the activity we have up and down that ladder"?

2. Am I the only one who goes in the attic maybe 1 time a year?

Old 01-15-2022, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
2 questions......

We also thought about how often we make the trip up. We get our Halloween decorations down, when they go up we bring down Christmas, so double your trip.

Our friends, who have a enlarged 3 car garage put in magic stairs. So far haven’t used them in 4 months, due to the extensive storage in the garage. Their cost $3750, and rethinking why they had the install
Old 01-22-2022, 06:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
2 questions......

The "activity" is all the different items we bring up and down the ladder into the attic. I'm in the attic on average twice a month, more during the holidays.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:41 PM
Sage

We had Chad from Majic Stairs at our home for an estimate. Turns out, we don't have the space in the attic to install the stairs. There is too much duct work in the way and the trusses are in the way too. Plus, if he COULD get the stairs to be stored in the attic, where they would have to be installed would not allow us to be able to stand up once we got to the top of the stairs. Chad told us there are many potential customers that he has disappointed with this news.

We have a 10 foot ceiling in our garage which means our stairs have to be 2 feet longer than in an 8 foot ceiling garage. The total length of clear space needed for the Majic Stairs is 17 feet.The stairs just won't fit.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:10 PM

I use my attic twice a year. Once to put stuff up, then a year later to take the stuff down and trash most of it. Extreme heat and humidity take a toll on almost everything stored up there.

For holiday decorations, I can buy a lot of new stuff for $3,500.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,503 Posts
Default Wow!!

When I first read some of the responses and prices I thought, are you putting in an escalator? Looked up Majik stairs. They look like very nice stairs, but $3750?? Really? Can't help think it is quite over priced for villagers.
Like most, I get into my attic no more than twice a year and a ladder works fine for me. In our previous home I bought a set of stairs that folded up and stowed away in the attic. It was simple to install and only cost about $200.00 as I recall. But for as little as we use the attic even that is not worth bothering with. And, I have a lot of better uses for $3750.00. But, not my money, not my decision to make.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I wanted the versa lift system to get the heavier items to the attic and the pull down folding ladder for me to get to the attic. The only reason I did not install the versa lift was it was limited to 4 feet in length and the containers for the xmas tree are almost 5 feet. I think were are going to be looking at a smaller tree (yeah) and then I will look at the versa lift again.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:05 PM

We installed the stairs even before our furniture arrived over two years ago. We totally love them and we are in and out of the attic multiple times a week. In particular we feel much safer with the gentle angle of the stairs and the solid hand rails.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

We have a tiny opening in our closet which I have never looked at and one in our garage which I have gone up once in 3 years just to put some parts to the slider blinds that we took down.

Other than that I am not sure what I would store up there with how hot it gets. I know up north I can’t put anything that melts or can freeze in the attic. In Florida I figured the heat would destroy just about anything up there.

What do people put up these. Maybe we just don’t have much but between closets and the garage we seem to have room.

The stairs look nice but if not using the attic the ladder is fine so far.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
We also thought about how often we make the trip up. We get our Halloween decorations down, when they go up we bring down Christmas, so double your trip.

Our friends, who have a enlarged 3 car garage put in magic stairs. So far haven’t used them in 4 months, due to the extensive storage in the garage. Their cost $3750, and rethinking why they had the install
I gotta say, I’m super impressed with you folks that can get all your holiday decorations down stairs in one trip. We have a lift, and we must run at least 5 loads for Christmas, and two for retrieving and putting back our luggage for every trip we take.

With the easy to climb stairs I even go up to check the roof after heavy winds or rain. And the electrical and plumbing guys love us.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
I gotta say, I’m super impressed with you folks that can get all your holiday decorations down stairs in one trip. We have a lift, and we must run at least 5 loads for Christmas, and two for retrieving and putting back our luggage for every trip we take.

With the easy to climb stairs I even go up to check the roof after heavy winds or rain. And the electrical and plumbing guys love us.
Pretty easy one goes up the stairs, one hands bins up. Takes about 10 minutes, 7 green top bins Christmas, 3 black top bins Halloween.

Super organized, beats the crap out of running up and down the basement stairs up north.

So far no damage to our decorations since we started storing in 2010.

Would love the lift, but don’t qualify
Old 01-24-2022, 04:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Got the stairs and lift. Seemed high at the time but not now.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:37 PM
Veteran member

I’m a part timer here and still moving in but I am willing to show you the majic stairs and versa lift (pm me). You can contact me and I’ll do one demo on a date when I’m here. I cannot show it a dozen times in a day. The installer warned me about treating this like a toy, showing the neighbors every day, and burning out the motor. I’ll give couple demos for those that want to see it in action. I’ll try to find the invoice. Majik stairs and versa lift, together just under $6k I think. Was it worth it? It was for me. I’m in the Vill of St. Catherine.
Closed Thread

Tags
stairs, attic, ladder, opening, estimate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.