Massey vs Dean's for termite treatment

Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2020, 07:54 AM
Default Massey vs Dean's for termite treatment

Would like to have the baits installed in the ground around the house and can see from these posts that Dean's cover three types of termites; Massey two.

Is that a big deal?

Thank you all again.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:54 AM

Waste of money ask Massey what the percentage of houses with termite problems is in the villages, spay your property yourself and take a vacation every year!
Old 06-21-2020, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

I had termites a long time ago in fl but not here, 5 homes , but I would advise getting the termite protection, I call around right now I have superior on new side but I’ve had them all , the bond is Important I’ve never got the part up in ceilings up to you. I would go with best price of a good company . Remember if you sell your home you’ll need a termite bond
Old 06-21-2020, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

We had termites twice over a 20 year period in a home we had in Ft Lauderdale.

Once they came in inside some new furniture...the other time inside the wood of the new cabinets we purchased when we remodeled the kitchen.

In both cases they came from the warehouse....and they usually won't show any signs for about 5 or 6 years of being inside the wood

We had a regular pest service, but didn't have any termite insurance....so we paid out of pocket each time to eliminate the termites

Unlike other parts of the US, termites are very common in FL...but if treated correctly they are not a problem.

We've decided to continue with the termite coverage with the vendor that originally applied the treatment to the house we have in TV....only because it will give piece of mind to any potential buyer when we choose to sell. When the termites we had showed up the second time they were discovered by the 'home inspector' the people that were buying our house had hired....like a week before closing.

It could have been a deal killer. We had it fixed, purchased a year's termite insurance coverage transferable to them, our broker convinced them that termites are a treatable issue and not to worry. It worked out.

Regarding the baits. We had the 'baits' installed in the ground around a home that we had/sold in Massachusetts....never had any termites...however when selling that house the buyer's home inspector saw the bait traps and his report said that there were termites present. Again in the 11th hour we had to have the fellow that owned the pest control service we used write a letter stating that there where never any termites and that the bait traps proved that...

I see it as 'short money' to avoid any 11th hour hassles when it comes time to sell and leave TV

Last edited by davem4616; 06-21-2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,419 Times in 5,109 Posts

I don't like the bait system for termites because it is more expensive than the poison soil barrier treatment, and it requires regular monitoring to ensure that you don't get termites. It doesn't treat your entire house, but relies on monitoring.

My Massey termite warranty will expire next year, 5 years after buying a new house, and paying about $90 per year for renewals. When the warranty expires, Massey will retreat the house by injecting chemicals in the soil around the house for about $500, and they will then renew the warranty for 10 years for about $100 per annual renewal. If I switch to Dean's, they will transfer the warranty to my house for $165 with no retreatment, and will charge me $165 per year for an indefinite warranty period. Personally, I think Massey has a better deal because I will be getting a complete new treatment and the renewals are less expensive.

When compared to my homeowners and auto insurance, I think the termite warranty is money well spent. However, I would only purchase protection against subterranean termites, not the flying type that some termite companies try to sell you for an additional cost. The reason is that subterranean termites can do substantial damage before you even see them.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Have not used either co. The company I use stopped using bate a few years ago and every 5 years they spray. I do not recall why they stopped but it may have been the cost of the service. They do inspect the property every year. I have the treatment because of the bond. I also spray on my own for inside and outside bugs. The outside spray also covers termites but no bond. Takes less than an hour a month and at very little costs.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

We had Massey with the contract as a new house. After some number of years of "inspection only" they wanted to do a complete expensive retreat. Dean's gave me a lot better offer on a new contract and they actually treat with the annual inspection and their price is just slightly higher than the Massey inspection-only price. Dean's even had a "termite" dog go around the property.

Dean's... hands down. Massey's there for the easy money
Old 06-21-2020, 11:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

I use Dean’s. I bought the house without termite bond but with extensive home inspection. Dean’s had a young beagle come to sniff around, the house passed the dog’s inspection, they treated the grounds and now I have a termite bond and insurance.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:47 AM

We use Florida Pest and have in ground and flying termite protection. Both are peace of mind and good for resale of home. We find the cost reasonable. We have the poison ground barrier type...not bait type. Recently a neighbor had their house tented and fumigated for flying termites. Both types are in the area.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:01 AM

When you install the underground stations, you are inviting the termites to come and ingest the poisoned wood in the traps and die. I don't think it's worth the extra money. Also, as long as you pay for a termite bond (insurance) on your home, it doesn't matter if your house ever gets inspected, you are covered for any repair or replacement that needs to be done. At least that's how Terminix does it.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:16 AM

We use Superior Services of Central Florida. We paid $500 the first year with them for termite injections around the entire property. We receive annual inspections. As long as you maintain another one of their services (i.e., lawn pest control or inside/outside pest control) there is no annual fee to keep their termite protection/repair warranty. Every 6 years they reinject Termicide around the foundation at no cost.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:42 AM
Location: Wisconsin, California, military, California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, (Ugh!) and, FINALLY, TV
Default Dog's inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I use Dean’s. I bought the house without termite bond but with extensive home inspection. Dean’s had a young beagle come to sniff around, the house passed the dog’s inspection, they treated the grounds and now I have a termite bond and insurance.
Wouldn't a Lab test have been better? (Sorry...)
Old 06-22-2020, 09:57 AM

Our Massey termite contract just expired. I choose to have baits put in around the house for $699. Life time guarantee. The chemicals in the ground would have cost $500 and something with a guarantee of five years. Then after five years I’d have pay another $500 and something. Probably more with inflation. The annual bait inspection is about $30 more than if I would have gone with the chemical application. In the long run I figured the baits were a better deal. Peace of mind trumps money for me.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:01 AM

Call Superior. They have highest ratings. 352-751-3389
Old 06-22-2020, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,419 Times in 5,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1mack View Post
Our Massey termite contract just expired. I choose to have baits put in around the house for $699. Life time guarantee. The chemicals in the ground would have cost $500 and something with a guarantee of five years. Then after five years I’d have pay another $500 and something. Probably more with inflation. The annual bait inspection is about $30 more than if I would have gone with the chemical application. In the long run I figured the baits were a better deal. Peace of mind trumps money for me.
When I recently got a quote from Massey for the $500 chemical treatment, their termite warranty was for 10 years, not 5 years.
Closed Thread

Tags
massey, deans, cover, types, termites;

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.