Mattress Firm - beware

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2015, 02:20 PM
Default Mattress Firm - beware

My wife and I bought two new mattresses from this company. We spent nearly $5K on them. We were told all sorts of wonderful things to put our minds at rest. What happened is that my mattress had a rose design sewn in at all the tuft points. Before it was 1 year old, the threads of two of the tufts unraveled and there is a hole behind them. I sent pictures to mattress firm and I got a reply back which basically said that they will not do anything because the fabric of the mattress, as well as a lot of other things, are not covered by the manufacturer's warranty. They will not repair or replace my less than one year old mattress that has defective workmanship on the fabric.

Just wanted to alert you all to read the warranty and not depend on the store to make good on defects not covered by the manufacturer's warranty unlike some other local stores have done for us. Read the warranty and learn that just the things that are most likely not to bread are covered and all else is not.

Also know that they, as well as some other mattress stores, get the manufacturers to name their mattresses differently for every chain store that sells them so that you cannot do a price comparison. They may offer to match or beat other prices but you will not find the same exact model name anywhere but in their store. I have run into this before with other items that have model numbers made especially for that store so that their "will match lowest price elsewhere" policy can never be used.

Anyway, before you plunk down a few grand for a mattress, you may want to avoid Mattress firm. Yes, they do have quick and efficient delivery and will give you a discount of their grossly marked up products, but they will not offer any value added for buying from them unlike some places I do business with. The workmanship of even their high end mattress has proven to be shoddy as far as the fabric is concerned for me. You can do better elsewhere. Seems that many of us learn afterwards how much cheaper mattresses are if we shop around and some of these places are just there to sell and not stand by their customers. They just want to sell and take no responsibility for what they sell. No value added to their customers.

Here is one website about Mattress firm that talks about similar problems with their expensively priced products and how they do little to nothing to their customers once the sale is made.

Top 222 Complaints and Reviews about Mattress Firm
Old 03-25-2015, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
My wife and I bought two new mattresses from this company. We spent nearly $5K on them. We were told all sorts of wonderful things to put our minds at rest. What happened is that my mattress had a rose design sewn in at all the tuft points. Before it was 1 year old, the threads of two of the tufts unraveled and there is a hole behind them. I sent pictures to mattress firm and I got a reply back which basically said that they will not do anything because the fabric of the mattress, as well as a lot of other things, are not covered by the manufacturer's warranty. They will not repair or replace my less than one year old mattress that has defective workmanship on the fabric.

Just wanted to alert you all to read the warranty and not depend on the store to make good on defects not covered by the manufacturer's warranty unlike some other local stores have done for us. Read the warranty and learn that just the things that are most likely not to bread are covered and all else is not.

Also know that they, as well as some other mattress stores, get the manufacturers to name their mattresses differently for every chain store that sells them so that you cannot do a price comparison. They may offer to match or beat other prices but you will not find the same exact model name anywhere but in their store. I have run into this before with other items that have model numbers made especially for that store so that their "will match lowest price elsewhere" policy can never be used.

Anyway, before you plunk down a few grand for a mattress, you may want to avoid Mattress firm. Yes, they do have quick and efficient delivery and will give you a discount of their grossly marked up products, but they will not offer any value added for buying from them unlike some places I do business with. The workmanship of even their high end mattress has proven to be shoddy as far as the fabric is concerned for me. You can do better elsewhere. Seems that many of us learn afterwards how much cheaper mattresses are if we shop around and some of these places are just there to sell and not stand by their customers. They just want to sell and take no responsibility for what they sell. No value added to their customers.

Here is one website about Mattress firm that talks about similar problems with their expensively priced products and how they do little to nothing to their customers once the sale is made.

Does the rose being unembroidered cause any difference to the feel of the mattress when you put sheets on it? I would contact corporate and speak to someone in customer service. They may not know how a franchisee is treating customers. Certainly some financial relief would be forthcoming. I would start there rather than small claims. You just haven't stood on the right toe of the right foot.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-25-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:48 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Does the rose being unembroidered cause any difference to the feel of the mattress when you put sheets on it and you watch television on it and do you notice it when you are right in the middle of NCIS?

Perhaps not, but does that absolve Mattress Firm from standing behind their materials used in this upscale mattress?

OP, talk to Seniors vs. Crime. They may be able to get this resolved fairly. You should not need to accept shoddy material. If it's unraveling already, it's not acceptable.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:43 PM
Veteran member

This isn't isolated to a mattress. We have found what a sales person says is the warranty, may not be what is said in the tiny print of the warranty paper. We recently went through this with replacement windows. My husband bought a drill at Home Depot on Saturday that had an open box and the sales person said if it didn't work bring it back. It didn't work, within 2 hours he returned to the store, and he was told it had to be sent to the manufacturer. They asked him if he read the warranty.

After the past week of dealing with our own issues of a warranty, I now will read every word before I make a purchase. It's buyer beware. Very sad.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:57 PM
Email Reported As Spam

The examples given appear to be breaches of implied/expressed warranty but I'll wager the retail stores and the mfg they represent are banking on the fact that you won't bother to take them to small claims court

Such irresponsible behavior ought to be subjected to punitive damages

Seems to be a lot of this going around in these parts.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If OBXNana thinks I am wrong, I am wrong. I have great respect for her judgment. I was cavalier and I am sorry.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post

WOW, thanks i will steer clear of them i'm mattress shopping next week, thanks!!!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.