Mercedes oil change

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2017, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
I would not take your Mercedes to Walmart or a Jiffy Lube. If someone offers you a $29-59 oil change even with a coupon....immediately turn around and walk out. Just does not happen. Mercedes require full synthetic oil and I would not leave that to chance with a person unfamiliar with my car. Just as important is the type of oil filter you use...alot of $3.95 specials out there that you donot want to use. Also during a simply oil change a good shop will normally do a safety check and having someone familiar with your brand of car would be helpful. Stay away from the shops that "always" find something to repair during those cheap oil changes.

You spent good money up front for a high end car, expect to pay for maintenance to keep the car in decent mechanical shape
I have no problem getting synthetic oil at the Village Car Wash. In fact the only time I didn't get the right oil was at a Toyota dealer.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:50 AM
Sage

My son is a certified Audi mechanic. He works for Audi and works on many German cars such as Audi, Volkswagen and Mercedes.

When his brother asked him for advice on a new car, he said to stay away from German cars and buy something Japanese or Korean.

He drives a Toyota.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Does it really matter where you get an oil change for a Mercedes, Toyota, Ford or any other kind of car?
Unfortunately it does.
In my instance my MB has no dipstick

Here we go...Only Me

Only internal engine oil sensors.
I would only use a garage that's familiar with this type of engine oil change .
In the past I have had few shops tell me they are not experienced in the procedure required to properly change my oil and advised me to go elsewhere .

To answer your question it's yes
Old 11-24-2017, 08:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
My son is a certified Audi mechanic. He works for Audi and works on many German cars such as Audi, Volkswagen and Mercedes.

When his brother asked him for advice on a new car, he said to stay away from German cars and buy something Japanese or Korean.

He drives a Toyota.

A quick check on consumer reports will back this up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2017, 11:39 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

This thread is a classic example of asking for the time and being told how to build a watch. The OP asked a very simple question, easy to answer.

And now it's morphed into the viscosity density and composition of different grades of oil, best car brands and who knows where else it could go.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:26 PM
Gold member

Changing oil in a modern Mercedes is so easy. You can use a topsider oil pump and the filter is on top of the engine. You don't even have to leave your feet! I had a CLK350...It was designed for topside oil change. It didn't even have an oil pan drain plug nor a oil dipstick.

Last edited by MorTech; 11-24-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
A quick check on consumer reports will back this up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He also says that they are very fragile, difficult to work on and expensive to maintain because the manufacturers know that people who can afford them can afford the high-cost of maintenance and repairs.

He says that BMWs are the worst.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
He also says that they are very fragile, difficult to work on and expensive to maintain because the manufacturers know that people who can afford them can afford the high-cost of maintenance and repairs.

He says that BMWs are the worst.
We have had BMWs for years and have had no problems. Great solid car and fun to drive. We have had 2 lemons and they were both Fords. Currently one BMW and one LEXUS. The LEXUS lease is up in 9 months and will be replaced with a BMW

Last edited by JSR22; 11-25-2017 at 08:22 AM. Reason: info
Old 01-17-2018, 12:55 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
There is logic in going with 0W-X oil regardless of where you live: better flow at startup. Deviating from the second number (operational or 100C viscosity) is harder to justify. I tend to stay with the manufacturer's recommendation as they know more about their product than I do.
I agree it’s best to stay with the manufacturer’s recommendations. Has anybody used All German Motorworks in Leesburg for service?
Old 01-17-2018, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Does it really matter where you get an oil change for a Mercedes, Toyota, Ford or any other kind of car?
To answer you question yest it does.
Especially if your MB isn't equipped with a dip stick for measuring the oil being replaced
My MB engine has internal sensors that
requires a mechanic that's familiar with such an oil change process'

I have gone to other places like
Wildwood tire Auto which intern referred me to
Auto Masters

MB of Orlando is big as Tire choice when It come to ripping off the public
Old 01-18-2018, 08:46 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

MB of Gainesville will drive to The Villages, leave you a new loaner car, drive your car back to Gainesville, do what ever work you want done, than return your car and take the loaner back.

All for what I thought was a reasonable price. MUCH cheaper then what I paid in Northern VA when I took my car to the dealer.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:00 AM

Accu tech on 301 I would highly recommend great shop, they worked on 300 diesel
Old 01-18-2018, 03:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodie View Post
Where can you get an oil change for a Mercedes, somewhere near the villages?

I use Expert Auto Center in Fruitland Park on 441. The owner is a former MB tech and has all the correct testing equipment. I have an ML350 diesel and an SL500.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tags
mercedes, change, oil, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.