Mold in home

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2020, 08:03 AM

SunKool installed our A/C unit when the house was built in 2005. Many years later they found mold inside the big hood in the garage that is between the unit and the vent system. They installed a special light that kills the mold throughout the hood and vents throughout the house. The light was about $350 and has to be replaced after several years, but it seems to have worked well. I googled it before going with that and all the reviews were good.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:37 AM
Veteran member

I checked Yelp and could not find the company?
Old 01-17-2020, 08:52 AM

When you call a company that specializes in mold, you will have it, unless there is water or a lot of humidity in the house (I meant a lot like over a month without the AC running in summer) they will find mold. Get other opinions, if you do have mold get it out.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:09 AM
Default Mold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrienx4 View Post
Let us know what they say...I'm following. Thank you
Good idea to get a kit from hardware store, it’s cheap and you will be satisfied. There is a lot of crooks in The Villages
Old 01-17-2020, 09:10 AM
Gold member

I had a similar problem, but I started with a home mold detection kit from Amazon. I think it cost me about $30.00, and was very easy. I collected and sent six samples by mail and got the results back by email about ten days later. The results said that I did have mold in the vents, but there was no "black mold" or any other immediate health threat, although the results did say that this common mold could cause some health issues and should be removed. Only then, after I had some knowledge, did I contact a mold abatement company. They came in, did a very professional job, and in one day had removed all mold and treated the entire house (by fogging through the A/C system) to prevent future mold. I believe it was the same company, but I'm not sure. My receipts aren't close by so I can't check. As I remember, the abatement cost me around $1,200 (in 2018).
Old 01-17-2020, 09:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilting3grammy View Post
SunKool installed our A/C unit when the house was built in 2005. Many years later they found mold inside the big hood in the garage that is between the unit and the vent system. They installed a special light that kills the mold throughout the hood and vents throughout the house. The light was about $350 and has to be replaced after several years, but it seems to have worked well. I googled it before going with that and all the reviews were good.
I agree, we have the light too and it seems to be working. Not that expensive.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:54 AM
Exclamation Something else important

Be sure to have your roof vent cleaned...helps to avoid a fire.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:35 AM

When I had my A/C serviced the technician did find some mold. He cleaned out the mold and installed a blue light (assume uv) and said it will never come back. This light cost $326.00 well worth it.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:44 AM

I’m in the process of trying to purchase a home. The inspector yesterday found quite a bit of mold around the A/CUnit in the garage next to the firewall. Can anybody recommend a good mold inspection company?
Old 01-17-2020, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

Most of what you "know" about mold in your home is likely based on media hysteria and information. Black mold is not some evil growth from Hades and for the overwhelming number of people is nothing more than a cosmetic issue. Unless you have significant asthma with known mold allergy or some other pre-existing lung issue we all live in a sea of mold all the time with no problem. An entire industry has been built around cleaning mold to save your life. And I suspect those companies that pander to your fear actually believe in what they are doing.

Instead I suggest you read the medical literature for evidence, or lack of evidence, of the evil of mold spores.
Mold and Human Health: a Reality Check | SpringerLink might be a good place to start.
And here Mold Causes and Effects “in a Material World” - ScienceDirect

And what does the CDC say now 20 years after all the panic about mold in drywall; no proven problem Facts about Stachybotrys chartarum (aka "black mold") | CDC

And what does the CDC say about mold in the home; CDC - Mold - General Information - Basic Facts

Mold is in your carpets, furniture, ducts, bathroom, everywhere. And the key is to reduce humidity and it does not thrive.

Keep in mind that just because your Aunt Susan had a bad sinus infection and there was mold in her duct does not prove cause and effect. That's why they do epidemiological studies and those studies show that for healthy people mold is a non-issue medically.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:33 AM

every home airconditioning unit can a residual black
non harmful mold build up at the filter air handler which is easily remediated either by spraying clorox on it and flushing your exaust drainage pipe once a month
or you can have a company like pioneer air conditioning come out to look at it and get some free advice. They are honest and will get you going in the right direction.
at least thats what I would.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
We hired a company called FRESH AIR SOLUTIONS to do a vent cleaning. He opened main vent, found mold and showed my husband. He said they do treat mold, wound run around $2,000. Normally I would be skeptical however he was Not pushy. He said go to Lowes, get a mold test kit, let it sit for a week under vent and see what grows. You can then mail it in to get results and call us back to treat if u like. We believe the previous owners rarely ran their AC therefore causing mold. Advice, experiences, comments, PLEASE
by the way depending on how old your unit is... you can buy a complete 3.5 ton air conditioning system installed for
3500.00 just a thought...
Old 01-17-2020, 05:02 PM

Before you spend a lot of money to have the mold in your house removed I would suggest you speak to you doctor and find out if you really need to remove it. The majority of homes have mold in them. If your home is older or if there has ever been a roof leak or leaky pipe you probably have mold whether you know it or not. The problem with mold is that some people are allergic to it. For these people mold is a real problem, but if you are not allergic to mold, it is not dangerous. We are exposed to mold all the time in our daily lives and most of us have no issue with it. If you do not have an allergic reactions to mold, things like head aches or constant cold like symptoms are several bad reactions you can have, you probably can save your money and leave the mold alone.

I am not telling you what to do. You must do what is best for your own health and peace of mind as well as your wallet. But before you waste a lot of money, I do suggest you speak to a medical expert that can explain the real, not perceived danger, of having mold in your house.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:22 PM
Veteran member

Turns out we dont have mold in the house but I disagree with what to do if we did. I personally would NEVER risk it in my home. Would have removed immediately. Why risk your health. Not worth it
Old 01-18-2020, 10:41 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
Turns out we dont have mold in the house but I disagree with what to do if we did. I personally would NEVER risk it in my home. Would have removed immediately. Why risk your health. Not worth it
What was it?
Closed Thread

Tags
mold, vent, treat, mail, call

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.