Movers

Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2007, 08:30 AM
Default Movers

I am looking for a dependable moving company to move a small amount of items from our home outside Philadelphia to The Villages. Hopefully someone had a good experience!
Thanks
Old 08-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Movers

I used Mayflower. They do take partial loads. Call the local rep for an estimate.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:29 AM

I AM USING SMART MOVE. THEY USE PODS DELIVERED TO YOUR DOOR. FILL THEM UP AND THEY PICK UP AND DELIVER TO YOUR NEW ADDRESS. 800-963-0204. TAKE CARE THE KAR GUY
Old 08-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Veteran member

My neighbor used the Village Movers to move from Port St Luice, Fl and was very pleased.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Platinum member

kar guy:
I suggest that you should check ahead of time about limitations on a "POD" in your new driveway and/or street. I have a gut feeling that rules applicable to RVs might also apply to a POD - that is, no more than 72 hours at your residence!
Also, especially if you're doing a villa: is there physical room?
Old 08-16-2007, 01:19 PM

THANKS, I HAVE ALREADY CHECKED. YOU DO HAVE TIME ONCE IT IS DROPPED OFF TO UNLOAD. THEY TOLD ME A WEEK BUT QUICKER IF I COULD. AND TO YOUR SECOND PART. THERE IS MORE THAN ENOUGH ROOM TO PUT 2 PODS IN THE DRIVEWAY. THANKS....
Old 08-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar guy
THANKS, I HAVE ALREADY CHECKED. YOU DO HAVE TIME ONCE IT IS DROPPED OFF TO UNLOAD. THEY TOLD ME A WEEK BUT QUICKER IF I COULD. AND TO YOUR SECOND PART. THERE IS MORE THAN ENOUGH ROOM TO PUT 2 PODS IN THE DRIVEWAY. THANKS....
Glad to hear it! I may use the pod as well.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:51 PM
Default Movers that took the joy out of the move

I will be as brief with this as possible but just have to vent. I should have posted last week but it's taken me this long to regroup. We hired a local mover in our area to move our "most important treasures" to our new home in Buttonwood. They picked our furniture up on July 2nd with delivery to be on July 11th. My husband went down to wait on the truck on the 5th.

When July 11th passed we started calling and calling. I can't even tell you how many times we both called. I stayed up here in MA and was calling on this end also. Never did anyone call us back---NOT ONE TIME. The saleman even called me a liar at one point because I reminded him of another delivery date that wasn't met.

Bottom line is----When our furniture arrived on July 20th it was a mess. My husband called me and said, " I'm sorry". Many pieces of our furniture had gotten WET. That includes my dining room set that had only been used a few times in the last 24 years but is/was something that I loved and had taken care of. The table top was made of black glass and when it arrived the glass insert was broken in pieces. That's just a small portion of the damage. Our rugs were damp and some new furniture that had still been in the boxes had water damage and grass stains on them.

I called the company very upset and demanded they call me. The next day I had calmed down so I called again and left a message with the owner/manager to at least give me a courtesy call to expain what happened. That was on the 20th and I haven't heard from anyone.

I will be arriving in TV tomorrow A.M. and I am really nervous about seeing our things that we cared about for so many years.

Our furniture has arrived at our home in TV BUT my journey with Father and Son Moving and Storage who deals with Neighbors Movers has just begun.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Gold member

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry to hear this. You actually had a worse move then we did and I thought ours was unbeatable. We also have some furniture damage. Moving is hell....on the psychological stress scale, losing your mate is number 1 and number 2 is moving. 3 is losing your job.
So being stressed is to be expected. Nothing can replace your dining set, but try to focus on being here, on arriving safely, that it is only things that are broken (I keep telling myself this daily with varying degrees of success), not people. I have never had a successful negoitation with a mover; they make the paperwork so heinous that you almost don't want to do it.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr and mrs bike View Post
I will be as brief with this as possible but just have to vent. I should have posted last week but it's taken me this long to regroup. We hired a local mover in our area to move our "most important treasures" to our new home in Buttonwood. They picked our furniture up on July 2nd with delivery to be on July 11th. My husband went down to wait on the truck on the 5th.

When July 11th passed we started calling and calling. I can't even tell you how many times we both called. I stayed up here in MA and was calling on this end also. Never did anyone call us back---NOT ONE TIME. The saleman even called me a liar at one point because I reminded him of another delivery date that wasn't met.

Bottom line is----When our furniture arrived on July 20th it was a mess. My husband called me and said, " I'm sorry". Many pieces of our furniture had gotten WET. That includes my dining room set that had only been used a few times in the last 24 years but is/was something that I loved and had taken care of. The table top was made of black glass and when it arrived the glass insert was broken in pieces. That's just a small portion of the damage. Our rugs were damp and some new furniture that had still been in the boxes had water damage and grass stains on them.

I called the company very upset and demanded they call me. The next day I had calmed down so I called again and left a message with the owner/manager to at least give me a courtesy call to expain what happened. That was on the 20th and I haven't heard from anyone.

I will be arriving in TV tomorrow A.M. and I am really nervous about seeing our things that we cared about for so many years.

Our furniture has arrived at our home in TV BUT my journey with Father and Son Moving and Storage who deals with Neighbors Movers has just begun.
I would contact the local office of Crimes againist Seniors and the attorney's general of Maine and Florida.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Gold member

I am so sorry to read this about your move. I know it's just "stuff" but it's yours and you love it! I would feel the same way. Hurt and then angry. Please follow up the best you can and let us know here as well. My thoughts are with you. Stay strong. Breath deep and congrats on making it to TV.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I would contact the local office of Crimes againist Seniors and the attorney's general of Maine and Florida.
I agree.

M/M Bike, this makes me sad and angry for you too. You might want to have your attorney contact them as well.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:02 PM

Sorry to hear about your moving stress. I know I am in for a hard time with any claim we make. If they can't return a phone call they certainly will pass a claim off but I'm not going away.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Default Movers

Having moved several times myself, I can give you a few recommendations. Also having worked for U-Store-It in my past, I can tell you that the stories you hear are true....but not with the following companies to the best of my knowledge...
All of these movers protect your items as if they were their own and all of them go outside of Florida to do moves, are licensed and insured.
Even though insurance doesn't help with destroyed items are that are memories, it helps to know they have the coverage.

Little Johns Movers - 352-812-6981;
Suddath - United Van Lines - 407-843-6683 or toll free 800-327-6030 ext 1341;
Move Pros, Darrell McDonald. Office #352-351-5438;
BeltmannGroup - North American Van Lines. 407-295-0636.

Good Luck - If you need some in state or local movers I have some to recommend as well.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Send a message via ICQ to Biancarose Send a message via Yahoo to Biancarose

I had a nightmare of a move too. From Brooklyn NY to tv. Moishe's mover. My move was two months late, I had to return to work in NY. I had a friend receive it, the did, signed for it and when I returned I learned half of my move never arrived. I was not reimbursed or received my things. Very upsetting. The Villages movers moved a small curio/breakfront for me. When I opened the door for him, he hit a small bump with the hand mover, the entire breakfront fell in front of me
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.