Movers

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-16-2007, 08:30 AM
Martyslabs Martyslabs is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Movers

I am looking for a dependable moving company to move a small amount of items from our home outside Philadelphia to The Villages. Hopefully someone had a good experience!
Thanks
  #2  
Old 08-16-2007, 09:24 AM
zcaveman's Avatar
zcaveman zcaveman is offline
Eternal Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Villages
Posts: 7,884
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Movers

I used Mayflower. They do take partial loads. Call the local rep for an estimate.
__________________
Jacksonville, Florida
Andover, New Jersey
The Villages

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
  #3  
Old 08-16-2007, 09:29 AM
kar guy kar guy is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hadley
Posts: 187
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: Movers

I AM USING SMART MOVE. THEY USE PODS DELIVERED TO YOUR DOOR. FILL THEM UP AND THEY PICK UP AND DELIVER TO YOUR NEW ADDRESS. 800-963-0204. TAKE CARE THE KAR GUY
__________________
CENTERLINE, MICH. MACOMB TOWNSHIP, MICH. CHESTERFEILD, MICH. MONTPELIER, OHIO. & THE VILLAGES, FLA. (OCT 07).
  #4  
Old 08-16-2007, 10:29 AM
llaran llaran is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 570
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Movers

My neighbor used the Village Movers to move from Port St Luice, Fl and was very pleased.
  #5  
Old 08-16-2007, 01:14 PM
swrinfla swrinfla is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,778
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Movers

kar guy:
I suggest that you should check ahead of time about limitations on a "POD" in your new driveway and/or street. I have a gut feeling that rules applicable to RVs might also apply to a POD - that is, no more than 72 hours at your residence!
Also, especially if you're doing a villa: is there physical room?
__________________
Missouri-Massachusetts-Connecticut-Maine-Missouri-Texas-Missouri-Florida
  #6  
Old 08-16-2007, 01:19 PM
kar guy kar guy is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hadley
Posts: 187
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: Movers

THANKS, I HAVE ALREADY CHECKED. YOU DO HAVE TIME ONCE IT IS DROPPED OFF TO UNLOAD. THEY TOLD ME A WEEK BUT QUICKER IF I COULD. AND TO YOUR SECOND PART. THERE IS MORE THAN ENOUGH ROOM TO PUT 2 PODS IN THE DRIVEWAY. THANKS....
__________________
CENTERLINE, MICH. MACOMB TOWNSHIP, MICH. CHESTERFEILD, MICH. MONTPELIER, OHIO. & THE VILLAGES, FLA. (OCT 07).
  #7  
Old 08-16-2007, 01:21 PM
bestmickey's Avatar
bestmickey bestmickey is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 753
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Movers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar guy
THANKS, I HAVE ALREADY CHECKED. YOU DO HAVE TIME ONCE IT IS DROPPED OFF TO UNLOAD. THEY TOLD ME A WEEK BUT QUICKER IF I COULD. AND TO YOUR SECOND PART. THERE IS MORE THAN ENOUGH ROOM TO PUT 2 PODS IN THE DRIVEWAY. THANKS....
Glad to hear it! I may use the pod as well.
__________________
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift.
  #8  
Old 07-29-2011, 12:51 PM
mr and mrs bike's Avatar
mr and mrs bike mr and mrs bike is offline
Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ma for now /Buttonwood soon
Posts: 71
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Movers that took the joy out of the move

I will be as brief with this as possible but just have to vent. I should have posted last week but it's taken me this long to regroup. We hired a local mover in our area to move our "most important treasures" to our new home in Buttonwood. They picked our furniture up on July 2nd with delivery to be on July 11th. My husband went down to wait on the truck on the 5th.

When July 11th passed we started calling and calling. I can't even tell you how many times we both called. I stayed up here in MA and was calling on this end also. Never did anyone call us back---NOT ONE TIME. The saleman even called me a liar at one point because I reminded him of another delivery date that wasn't met.

Bottom line is----When our furniture arrived on July 20th it was a mess. My husband called me and said, " I'm sorry". Many pieces of our furniture had gotten WET. That includes my dining room set that had only been used a few times in the last 24 years but is/was something that I loved and had taken care of. The table top was made of black glass and when it arrived the glass insert was broken in pieces. That's just a small portion of the damage. Our rugs were damp and some new furniture that had still been in the boxes had water damage and grass stains on them.

I called the company very upset and demanded they call me. The next day I had calmed down so I called again and left a message with the owner/manager to at least give me a courtesy call to expain what happened. That was on the 20th and I haven't heard from anyone.

I will be arriving in TV tomorrow A.M. and I am really nervous about seeing our things that we cared about for so many years.

Our furniture has arrived at our home in TV BUT my journey with Father and Son Moving and Storage who deals with Neighbors Movers has just begun.
  #9  
Old 07-29-2011, 01:20 PM
ladydoc ladydoc is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BUTTONWOOD
Posts: 1,021
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry to hear this. You actually had a worse move then we did and I thought ours was unbeatable. We also have some furniture damage. Moving is hell....on the psychological stress scale, losing your mate is number 1 and number 2 is moving. 3 is losing your job.
So being stressed is to be expected. Nothing can replace your dining set, but try to focus on being here, on arriving safely, that it is only things that are broken (I keep telling myself this daily with varying degrees of success), not people. I have never had a successful negoitation with a mover; they make the paperwork so heinous that you almost don't want to do it.
__________________
Chicago, Lincoln Nebraska, Rochester NY, SE Ohio, Oklahoma, California, New Mexico and BUTTONWOOD
  #10  
Old 07-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,380
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1,004 Times in 504 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr and mrs bike View Post
I will be as brief with this as possible but just have to vent. I should have posted last week but it's taken me this long to regroup. We hired a local mover in our area to move our "most important treasures" to our new home in Buttonwood. They picked our furniture up on July 2nd with delivery to be on July 11th. My husband went down to wait on the truck on the 5th.

When July 11th passed we started calling and calling. I can't even tell you how many times we both called. I stayed up here in MA and was calling on this end also. Never did anyone call us back---NOT ONE TIME. The saleman even called me a liar at one point because I reminded him of another delivery date that wasn't met.

Bottom line is----When our furniture arrived on July 20th it was a mess. My husband called me and said, " I'm sorry". Many pieces of our furniture had gotten WET. That includes my dining room set that had only been used a few times in the last 24 years but is/was something that I loved and had taken care of. The table top was made of black glass and when it arrived the glass insert was broken in pieces. That's just a small portion of the damage. Our rugs were damp and some new furniture that had still been in the boxes had water damage and grass stains on them.

I called the company very upset and demanded they call me. The next day I had calmed down so I called again and left a message with the owner/manager to at least give me a courtesy call to expain what happened. That was on the 20th and I haven't heard from anyone.

I will be arriving in TV tomorrow A.M. and I am really nervous about seeing our things that we cared about for so many years.

Our furniture has arrived at our home in TV BUT my journey with Father and Son Moving and Storage who deals with Neighbors Movers has just begun.
I would contact the local office of Crimes againist Seniors and the attorney's general of Maine and Florida.
  #11  
Old 07-29-2011, 02:31 PM
missypie missypie is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,140
Thanks: 1
Thanked 40 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I am so sorry to read this about your move. I know it's just "stuff" but it's yours and you love it! I would feel the same way. Hurt and then angry. Please follow up the best you can and let us know here as well. My thoughts are with you. Stay strong. Breath deep and congrats on making it to TV.
  #12  
Old 07-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Pturner's Avatar
Pturner Pturner is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,066
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I would contact the local office of Crimes againist Seniors and the attorney's general of Maine and Florida.
I agree.

M/M Bike, this makes me sad and angry for you too. You might want to have your attorney contact them as well.
  #13  
Old 07-29-2011, 06:02 PM
mr and mrs bike's Avatar
mr and mrs bike mr and mrs bike is offline
Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ma for now /Buttonwood soon
Posts: 71
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Sorry to hear about your moving stress. I know I am in for a hard time with any claim we make. If they can't return a phone call they certainly will pass a claim off but I'm not going away.
  #14  
Old 08-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Tall Terri Tall Terri is offline
Member
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Leesburg Florida
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Movers

Having moved several times myself, I can give you a few recommendations. Also having worked for U-Store-It in my past, I can tell you that the stories you hear are true....but not with the following companies to the best of my knowledge...
All of these movers protect your items as if they were their own and all of them go outside of Florida to do moves, are licensed and insured.
Even though insurance doesn't help with destroyed items are that are memories, it helps to know they have the coverage.


Little Johns Movers - 352-812-6981;
Suddath - United Van Lines - 407-843-6683 or toll free 800-327-6030 ext 1341;
Move Pros, Darrell McDonald. Office #352-351-5438;
BeltmannGroup - North American Van Lines. 407-295-0636.

Good Luck - If you need some in state or local movers I have some to recommend as well.
  #15  
Old 08-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Biancarose Biancarose is offline
Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mira Mesa, The Villages
Posts: 37
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via ICQ to Biancarose Send a message via Yahoo to Biancarose
Default

I had a nightmare of a move too. From Brooklyn NY to tv. Moishe's mover. My move was two months late, I had to return to work in NY. I had a friend receive it, the did, signed for it and when I returned I learned half of my move never arrived. I was not reimbursed or received my things. Very upsetting. The Villages movers moved a small curio/breakfront for me. When I opened the door for him, he hit a small bump with the hand mover, the entire breakfront fell in front of me
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.