Moving from New England to TV!

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2018, 09:11 PM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.
Default Moving from New England to TV!

Do any Talk of the Village readers have experience with hiring a moving company to move from Massachusetts to TV? Please let us know if there are companies that you would recommend (or not). We will need to store our furniture in TV until we find a home. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:47 AM
Gold member

Congrats on your next adventure. Have you thought about not bringing your NE furniture? Many folks bring their stuff to find it doesn't fit the new house, have to get rid of it, and paid big bucks to haul it here. And, you might decide you want more of a Florida vibe. Just a consideration, we sold it all up North and found great deals here, more suited to our new lifestyle.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:20 AM

Check with the sales office. They offer relocation services. They put us in touch with a “local” moving company, gave us 3 options. This way after the move you are dealing with a local company if problems arise, and they will make sure that it is corrected, I’m sure that they get a lot of business because of the referrals and don’t want to jeopardize future customers. Moving companies are franchises so a someone at your location will come out and give you a price for what you want to take. As mentioned before, you might want to really think about what you are moving. Before we move, did a lot of research and decided to get rid of almost everything. Glad we did, and it seems we still took to much. Hope this helps, good luck with your move. We have been here abou 3 months and are loving it.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

We moved from Mass/NH. Did it alone and it was very expensive. The last post you received about going through The Villages for moving information is an excellent idea, but I disagree with getting rid of most of your furniture. If the bedroom furniture and mattresses are good definitely bring them. We had a lot of antique furniture, gave our children most of the big stuff, brought the small tables with us and have not regretted it. I would warn you about bringing living room furniture, if you decide to get rid of it here you will get NOTHING for it, however we loved our living room furniture and brought it with us and have never regretted that. We also brought oriental rugs. To replace the quality here would have cost us big bucks. We have three living areas - his hers and ours, so everything we brought with us we use.

One last thought .... have you looked into a POD?

Best wishes with your move .... it's a wonderful place to live.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-21-2018, 06:08 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
Congrats on your next adventure. Have you thought about not bringing your NE furniture? Many folks bring their stuff to find it doesn't fit the new house, have to get rid of it, and paid big bucks to haul it here. And, you might decide you want more of a Florida vibe. Just a consideration, we sold it all up North and found great deals here, more suited to our new lifestyle.

Many folks get here and wish they had sold their things up north including us. Keep what you love and sell the rest. We used Diggins and Rose.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:12 AM
Veteran member

We moved down here from MA 3 years ago. We brought down our bedroom set, living room set and a 2nd bedroom set. and (according to my wife) to much "other" junk, I call then "tools". We used ABF, we only paid for the room we used on the truck (7 feet!). We used The Village Movers to unload the ABF trailer.
Yes, we had to make hard choices on what to keep and what to get rid of.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Moved down from Long Island. Sold darn near ALL furniture up north and loaded up a POD. We had our home here already when we moved but I believe POD has a storage facility in either Orlando or Ocala. Might want to check them. They dropped it in the Driveway and we took a couple of days to unload it. Basically put it in place as we unloaded and took a break when we needed. We found POD to be much cheaper
Old 09-21-2018, 09:03 AM

We moved down from Maine. If I had it to do all over again I left almost everything in the Maine. Just bringdown the personal items and buy new furniture down here. It would be certainly cheaper than paying for the truck down from Maine.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:09 AM

We are closing on a house in November. We are not bringing the all of the furniture we have currently. We listened to others that moved and wasted big $$ on moving items only to replace them later when they didn't fit or go with the new house. The final move once we sell the house up north will be either with a pod or a small trailer.

I'm even thinning out the tool herd before we come south.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:14 AM
Default Do it yourself !!!!

I've relocated twice over the years and used two recommended moving companies and both moves resulted in furniture lost, missing or damaged. NEVER AGAIN !!! And try to file a claim... that in itself is joke.

My last move I used a "POD" like company and paid locals to pack them. When they arrived at my new home, nothing was missing, nothing was lost and nothing was damaged.

NEVER will I use a moving company again... NEVER !!!!!
Old 09-21-2018, 10:01 AM
Platinum member

We moved from MA 8 yrs ago and found all the major moving companies extremely expensive. We priced out pods and then went with ABF. You rent space of a tractor trailer that is coming to FL anyway and pay by the foot of space you use. Our friends and neighbors helped us fill it (you get 3 days to fill) and then we hired a couple of Villages Charter school football players to unload (you get 3 days to unload, but these guys did it in under 2 hrs in 98 deg heat). Your space is locked off from rest of truck and you have key and they will hold it in Ocala until you're ready for delivery to your new home. We brought bedroom set, outdoor cafe set (used in kitchen until we got a set) and lamps, tvs, small end tables, and a couple of wing chairs so we had a place to sleep, eat and relax. We brought tons of boxes. We had dark pine furniture and heavy colonial furniture we knew would not work here. When you shop here, try to negotiate by buying floor models. We did and saved a lot of money and got fast delivery instead of 6 weeks. Good luck on your move. It's the best thing we've ever done and we feel 10 years younger by moving here.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:25 AM

We moved from Cape Cod. We did a pod through packrat. They were great. Highly recommend them. They kept us informed through the whole process. They were always on time & very easy to deal with. We also stored the pod for a few months at their a/c storage facility. Nothing broken!
Old 09-21-2018, 02:21 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

In addition to the excellent recommendations in this thread, here is mine. Besides reducing the amount of furniture you should also be very conscious of the miscellaneous items you bring. I don't know what you are used to in terms of space, but you will probably find space in your TV home to be tighter than you are used to. That is not to say the homes are not adequate, but the extra space and storage space are limited. You may have extra room in your garage depending upon the home you choose, but you will not have a basement, and the attic will be unusable for most storage because of the heat. You can manage the heat in the attic and the garage to some extent with insulation (none in a new home over garage), a radiant barrier, and solar fan(s). I have not been in a garage or attic with all these add ons, but without them the attic and garage get extremely hot in the summer. We still have our home in Missouri so we had no problem with these issues, but it is clear that clutter that we can put in our basement storage area would not work in TV. Good luck with your great adventure, you have made a solid decision.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:01 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikearoni View Post
Do any Talk of the Village readers have experience with hiring a moving company to move from Massachusetts to TV? Please let us know if there are companies that you would recommend (or not). We will need to store our furniture in TV until we find a home. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
You know what you have and the size of your present home. First you should try to determine what your requirements are here in The Villages. Villa, Ranch, Designer or Premier. Then, what are your Vehicle requirements. Number of cars, Golfcart etc. Look at new /used of the category you plan to buy. Then consider what you have and how it may fit or be right for the house. We had good furniture up north but were ready for a change. Mattresses were 15 years old, TVs were 10 years old, carpets were not right size. Formal Dining Room mahogany set not right.
We basically dumped most every thing not worrying too muchabout price. Just wanted to minimize decision making in TV.

Bottom line very few things wanted for here. We decided one POD 8X8X16. Still too much brought down (3 desks when one was needed, Garage workbench too big etc. Kept spare bedroom bedding, but bought new Master bedroom.

Make it a fun experience.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:07 PM

Thank you all for your advice. At this point we are planning to eliminate some of our furniture as we know our lifestyle will be different in TV. After spending the last four winter seasons there for five months, and renting two different homes, I know that storage space will not be what it is here in New England as most of us have full basements in which to put all the things we hardly use.

However, we will still need a moving company and I appreciate the the tip to contact TV and hear the suggestions they might offer. That's a great idea!

We are hoping to be there in mid-November. I have enjoyed reading your posts over the years and hope to meet some of you in person.
Closed Thread

Tags
moving, store, furniture, recommend, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.