MUNNs A/C -- your experience or recommendation

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2021, 09:09 AM
Platinum member

Munn's is over priced. The Villages stopped using them years ago. I went to Coast To Coast Heating and Air and was very satisfied. Peter is the owner.

Bad time to have a breakdown, all the companies are in hot demand right now.

Skip
Old 05-12-2021, 09:23 AM
Default Munn's A/C

We have been using Munn's for over 20 years here in The Villages. We have no problems with them and we do recommend then for your heat=pump services.

Alex
Old 05-12-2021, 09:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandsdavis View Post
We have had Munns for 9 years and we are very satisfied with their service.
Ditto for us too!
Old 05-12-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjackson8 View Post
I used Munn’s one time. They sent 3 different repair guys... each one claimed to have fixed the problem. Finally, I called JC’s AC and he fixed the problem right away for 1/3 the cost I had already paid Munn’s!!!
Thanks. Depending on what I'm told by Munn's, I may also call JC's and get their opinion/quote as well.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csricksdds View Post
Is there water around the unit? Might just need the drip pipe opened and flowing out...if it get plugged air will stop working. I pour warm soapy water down the pipe monthly to keep it flowing!
Didn't see any water on the unit in my garage, but there's also a white pipe by the outside fan. I'm not sure what to check for, but will bring that suggestion up when they arrive here today.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesGP View Post
I had same issue, after recently moving(buying) here a couple years ago. I called Munns, technician came out, and told me almost exact same thing as they told you. Then, their office called and tried to sell me a new unit(mine was 7yrs old). I also had my split unit in lanai go, and same tech quoted me parts and labor for 3 different parts??? (NOTE: Kind of unusual for 3 parts to all go bad?!) Needless to say, I called someone else(independent contractor, also a Vet), who was a nice young guy. He lifted the humidistat, showed me where it fills with water(shuts down the system), drained and cleaned it, and PRESTO! Everything works! NO 3 bad parts! For the main unit, it was a capacitor. No need for a new coil, etc. And no more Munns!
Do you happen to have the contact information for the guy that came out? If so, can you please give that information. I clearly no nothing about A/C units and it's sounding like I need to get more than one opinion if I'm being told that it's something major.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:31 AM
Send a message via AIM to JudyLife

Munns replaced my AC in July 2019 & service every year, pleased with their service & personnel. I got 3 quotes from 3 companies & went with Munns as I had several friends very happy with them.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:48 AM

This will sound very simple but make sure you check your filters first. Than make sure your outside system hasn't had bushes growing around system and restricting airflow. Simple things but could save you thousands
Old 05-12-2021, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Munns has an excellent reputation for quality, prompt service. This comes at premium prices. There are lots of other companies, some just as good, less expensive, maybe fewer techs available, so maybe a little slower. Some aren't as good, but are faster and cheaper. Some are more expensive but not as good or as fast. But with Munns, you're paying the extra for the reputation and consistency.

Meanwhile - the coils are expensive, sure - but a new unit outside your house will run around $6000-10,000 installed, if it turns out you need a whole new unit. Ours was $7200, including a new concrete slab foundation for the unit since our old one was the wrong shape and had a crack in it. Ours is an AC with a heat pump, fairly typical setup down here.

Our old one was definitely OLD, so we knew this would happen sooner or later when we bought the house.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Munn’s was the subcontractor who did the HVAC install when our house was built. I have used them twice a year ever since. They serviced the furnace in the fall and the A/C in the spring. Always professional. Recommended by me, for sure.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:50 PM
Default My Experience was positive

Maybe a year or two after I bought my house, my A/C quit on a weekend. I called around to find some guy who would come out and look at it. He gave me an estimate in the thousands. If I gave him a deposit right now, I could get a discount. I said I wanted to talk to Munns on Monday to see if it might be on warranty. He laughed at that... there was NO WAY that would happen. I gave him his deposit.

I did call Munns on Monday, it took them a few days to come out. Yep, they said it was covered under warranty. They wrote up a work order with NO CHARGE written in large letters.

I called the other A/C guy and asked for my deposit back. He said THEY ARE LYING TO YOU. He wouldn't give me back my deposit. After Munns came and fixed it at no charge, I called him back and demanded my deposit back. Eventually, I threatened to hire a lawyer and sue him before getting my deposit back. He deducted $125 from my deposit for a week-end service call.

Since then I have stayed with Munns.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

We are Munn's customers. Been with them since we bought the house new years ago. Customer service is excellent. Response time is excellent.

We had an exterior lightening strike that took out our electricity. SEKO and Munns were the first ones to get here.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-12-2021, 01:58 PM

UPDATE on this post. My appt with Munn's today was between 11:00-1:00 pm. I got a text saying Ryan was on his way (text included his picture, his experience and how long he'd been with the company -- nice feature, in my opinion). He got here at 11:30 and started checking the simple things like clogged drain. It was a big clogged, but that wasn't the problem. After a few checks of the pump in the garage, he took off the covers to the condenser and it was pretty quick to find the leak -- it was hissing and I could clearly see the hole in the small copper tube. He was able to braise it (I call it soldering) and also installed some sort of big blue filter thing (needed for impurities, etc. -- I don't know -- but Ryan is very knowledge and explained in detail how everything worked and why -- made sense to me).
Total cost including a year warranty for maintenance is $870 which includes 7 lbs of refrigerant. My system literally had zero left. I'm satisfied was the cost and impressed with technician.

Thank you everyone for your comments and for so many recommendations for Munn's.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:23 PM

Before paying for coils and refrigerant need to be sure it’s not something as simple as a $20 capacitor. Don’t know anything about Munns other than they have a good rep not to go straight to coils and gas raises a question in my mind. Just sayin!
Old 05-12-2021, 03:37 PM

Have used Munns since our home was new in 2009. Good service, fair prices. I just had them out today for my semi-annual checkup.
Closed Thread

Tags
mann, a/c, experience, company, refrigerant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.