Need advice on alarm companies.

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2010, 06:07 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdraig View Post
My apologies..somehow I overlooked your post! The security system is from Metro Crime Prevention of Florida and uses an interesting technology. You can contact them at 1-800-771-7477. Their local rep is a guy named Joe Pine.
I have that alarm system and am very happy with it. I don't know anything about a phone being involved. It just plugged in to an electrical outlet and if someone forces a door (or even opens an outside door) or breaks a window it sounds a very loud alarm. I've set it off a few times accidentally without turning the system off taking my dog out the front door. You can also set it's sensitivity. I remember during the tornado we had here it went off about 2 times during the night Basically it's just one piece and ours is sitting on our tv table towards the center of the house. I believe the system cost us around $800 which is the purchase price. No ongoing fees. A very good system.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 07-17-2010, 07:12 AM
Default Your missing the point!!!

In an emergency, seconds count. It doesn't matter how loud it is. What matters is that the authorities are notified in the event on an emergency. What happens if you have a medical emergency? You set of your alarm that will wake the dead, it calls your cell phone , and you are laying on the bathroom floor having a heart attack. What good is it now? $800.00 would pay the monitoring for almost 3 years on a real alarm system, not to mention the homeowners insurance discounts. Trust me, I'm in the life safety business. I see the worst all the time. These systems that your looking at DO NOT SAVE LIVES!!!!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Platinum member
Default Great System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt. View Post
Apparently you missed the part where he mentioned the alarm that goes off that "would wake the dead." It will do this in addition to calling your cell phone if you happen to be out when the break-in occurs.

The system is the Challenger Security System sold by Suncoast Security. We're thinking about getting a home security system and got "the talk" from these folks today. It seems rather straightforward and looks like something that would deter burglers, home invaders or whatever. The alarm sound IS blood curdling.

Does anyone have this? If so, are there any problems with false alarms or anything? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I have this system and love it. Regardless of what system you go with, DO NOT put up decals advertising that you have alarm protection. That only alerts and invites the bad guys to cut your wires. The element of surprise is what you want. When the alarm goes off, they don't know if someone (law enforcement, etc.) will show up in 3 minutes, 10 minutes, or not at all, and they are not going to wait around to find out. You don't want to get them out of your house....you don't want them in there in the first place.

This system also allows you to have a chime mode during the times when you are at home, but maybe in another room out of sight of the doors. This is great because you know when a door is opened and can check to see who is coming in without having the ear-splitting alarm go off.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 07-17-2010, 07:12 PM

You have got to be kidding me!!! Keep the bad guy in the house? What are you crazy? Don't Put up window stickers? Stickers are your 1st line of defense. If a bad guy saw stickers on your house and none on your neighbors house, he would go to the neighbors. As far as the phone wires being cut, If you had a real alarm system from a real alarm company, you would have a cellular radio to transmit signals and no phone wires to cut. So, if I understand, you have a "wake the dead noise maker" and don't want the bad guy to know you have it so you don't put window stickers up? Or is it that you know that your system is below par and you don't want the bad guy to know you have it because it is NOT MONITORED and if he picked your house no one would come to help?
Life safety is what it is all about. DON'T keep the bad guy in, DO put up window stickers, DO have a monitored security system.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Security Guy View Post
You have got to be kidding me!!! Keep the bad guy in the house? What are you crazy?..
Did anybody see a post advocating keeping the "bad guy in the house?" I must have missed it...

Quote:
Don't Put up window stickers? Stickers are your 1st line of defense. If a bad guy saw stickers on your house and none on your neighbors house, he would go to the neighbors...
So, if EVERYBODY in TV would just put on a sticker (system or none) than TV would be crime free and nobody would actually need any alarm systems.

Quote:
...So, if I understand, you have a "wake the dead noise maker" and don't want the bad guy to know you have it so you don't put window stickers up? Or is it that you know that your system is below par and you don't want the bad guy to know you have it because it is NOT MONITORED and if he picked your house no one would come to help?
... DO have a monitored security system.
If some punk manages to pry a door open and an ear piercing alarm goes off it's not likely he'll stick around long enough to even consider if it's monitored or not.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:41 PM

"You don't want to get them out of your house....you don't want them in there in the first place."

This is a lone from Dillywho's post.

I'm not an idiot. I know what I read,

Apparently you do not read (or maybe comprehend) as good as you thought.

Hey, its your life not mine. I only speak from experience and true statistics.
I could'nt tell you how many people call us after the fact. Many times after a catostrophic event.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
"You don't want to get them out of your house....you don't want them in there in the first place."

I could'nt tell you how many people call us after the fact. Many times after a catostrophic event.

Is that LONE as in RANGER ??????....
Old 07-18-2010, 05:10 PM

What about life safety ? Fire and medical emergencies . As far as your comment on window stickers, the university of California did an experiment. They put a winding sticker on every home in a subdivision , guess what happened ? Burglary went down 85%.
The facts are the facts.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Administrator

I never will understand why people, such as SecurityGuy, have to be so snotty and contentious with other posters.

If people are not as informed as professionals, wouldn't you think professionals would be a little more genteel with them?

If SecurityGuy turned up at my house to sell me a system, and talked like that face to face with me, he would be out on the street.

I suggest you either tone down calling people idiots, or do it someplace else. I left SecurityGuy's post here so all could see what he would be like to deal with.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Tony,

I agree with you that Security Guy is agitated easily and is probably not the best salesman. Just wanted to point out that he didn't call anyone an idiot. What he said was "Do you think I am an idiot?".

Respectfully -- and thanks for watching out for our wonderful forum . . .
Old 07-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Platinum member
Default Excuse Me?

Quote:

I don't really know what your point is, but mine was that you want to keep them from entering in the first place. Once they are in, it is too late.

As for not advertising that you have a system, that statement was from a former law enforcement person so you do not lose the element of surprise whether you have a monitored system or not. The whole idea is that once the alarm goes off, they won't stick around to find out which kind.

The "alarm" is not intended for fire, medical emergencies, etc. I do have a separate system for that right now which is monitored. They ask you what your emergency is so I don't think that would really work for burglary. I don't think they would tell them that they were just there to steal. SunCoast does have a dial-up that will work for that and I plan to get it when they come out with the new one.

Talk Host is right.....there is no need for you to be so hateful. I am truly sorry that I offended you. Perhaps you are not the only one who has answers, though. Many on this site also have security experience.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 07-18-2010, 09:18 PM

As someone who has owned 9 homes with two of them alarmed I think it best to take some of the money that you would spend on an alarm system with monitoring and buy better home owners' insurance. Alarms break after time. Police response time is slow. Neighbors rarely will take any action. They go off by accident or due to a sensor problem.

The first time we bought the alarm. It went off a few times for various reasons. Police showed uo 15-20 minutes later when they were called by the monitoring company. Got two warnings and next time we would be fined so we stopped using the alarm.

Second time the alarm came with the house and after a year it started going off on it's own. Also a pain when we vacationed and had to train others how to arm/ disarm the system. Most asked us to leave it off. After two failed attempts to fix some problems I the wires to the sin unit out of the walll in frustration. There were other issues too with a lousy monitoring company.

We got a pair of killer Yorkies and they proved to be the best security we ever had plus the love they give us is priceless. Should any burglar survive the ankle biting of my two fierce guardians (assuming they survive the laughing fit after hearing two small dogs growling), my Smith & Wesson ( it is really a Glock ) security system is instantly put into action. When we are away I do not worry. Thry are only possessions. I do not get attached to possessions. For a fraction of whist it costs me for alarms I just added a rider on my home Owners' policy to pay me full replacement value for the more expensive items. I also now buy homes that are difficult to get to. Dead end streets in locations that do not provide easy access for quick getaways. Lights, both inside and outside, on timers that allow both static and random times are a great investment for those times when you are away from home.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:09 AM

The main deterrent is the alarm company sign in front of the house and the stickers on the windows. Why break into an alarmed house when the one next door is a softer target?
Old 06-04-2014, 04:34 AM
Sage

Why respond to a 4 year old thread ?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.