Need advice replacement windows manufac home

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2019, 03:48 PM
Default Need advice replacement windows manufac home

Hey everybody! First time initiating a post, need your opinions. I need replacement windows for my manufactured home. I have metal awnings and manual roll away storm shutters to deal with. I went on line and requested quotes and got lots of responses quickly, them smelling money! 16 windows to do. Most didn’t pay attention that it is a manufactured home and they cannot do them they say. So Home Depot came out and they will do it for average of about $840 each! No big picture windows or sliders. Least pricey window of 4 choices. The salesman supposedly texted the installer about the shutters and awnings and he said he can work with it. When I got the contract it did not specifically state that they were aware of these extra obstacles. So I’m wondering if anybody has any experience with replacement windows and what company they used and recommend. Thank you very much for your assistance and opinions!

Last edited by spexdr; 02-15-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:53 PM

You will be surprised how easy it is to replace your windows yourself. Lowe’s will show you how to measure and you can order though them, probably less than §150 each, most will be the same size, so you could try one to start. There is a lot of unscrewing to be done. You are supposed to also get a permit to replace windows, I believe for hurricane strength.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:30 AM

Thanks, yes a lot of unscrewing! So I wonder if I did one or two windows at a time and it took say six months (bad back needs breaks!) would I need a permit each time? And aren’t permits $100 or so?
Old 02-16-2019, 10:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spexdr View Post
Thanks, yes a lot of unscrewing! So I wonder if I did one or two windows at a time and it took say six months (bad back needs breaks!) would I need a permit each time? And aren’t permits $100 or so?
Ask the county building department how long a permit lasts, and while you are at it, get a copy of the specifications for the installation of the new windows, so you do it right, or you may get the chance to do it all over again!
Old 02-16-2019, 10:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think you will have to meet a wind speed test (hurricanes) so be sure you get the spec and proof that the windows you buy meet it.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spexdr View Post
Hey everybody! First time initiating a post, need your opinions. I need replacement windows for my manufactured home. I have metal awnings and manual roll away storm shutters to deal with. I went on line and requested quotes and got lots of responses quickly, them smelling money! 16 windows to do. Most didn’t pay attention that it is a manufactured home and they cannot do them they say. So Home Depot came out and they will do it for average of about $840 each! No big picture windows or sliders. Least pricey window of 4 choices. The salesman supposedly texted the installer about the shutters and awnings and he said he can work with it. When I got the contract it did not specifically state that they were aware of these extra obstacles. So I’m wondering if anybody has any experience with replacement windows and what company they used and recommend. Thank you very much for your assistance and opinions!
I am looking for 2 replacement windows and have tried Pats in Leesburg and Mobile Home Depot in Ocala. Both cater specifically to Manufactured homes.

I can't tell you the prices I received specifically cause I don't remember but it was significantly less than $840. The Permit situation is something you probably don't want to pass because it may become an issue when you try to sell or if a neighbor reports you for working without a permit.

Try to ask your neighbor for a Handyman that they use and like. That is another possibility for a helping hand. I'd give you our guy but he's winding down his operation.

I saw a few Window's World Truck's on my street this week going nuts installed windows on two houses next to each other. Have to give them a call also. Good Luck and report back as will I when we find the answer.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:54 PM

We ordered windows from Lowes, back in November, they said they would be installed by January 15, we are still waiting for the windows to be installed. I would suggest not going to Lowes, unless you have absolutely no time table to get them installed.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:48 PM
Gold member

A lot of good advice but everyone needs to remember the OP is asking about replacement windows for a manufactured home, not a standard on site built home. There are a lot of differences when dealing with these as I found out with one of the condos I bought in Myrtle Beach. I wasn't aware that the whole complex was actually manufactured elsewhere, trucked to the site and stacked on top of each other. Then the covered the whole exterior with siding. Everything seemed to cost at least twice as much and you had to go to trailer places etc for parts.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:21 PM

So I decided that was too much to charge for the windows and I canceled my installation with Home Depot. That was within the three days by law I am entitled to cancel. It’s been over three weeks and I am still struggling to get my refund Of my deposit. Had to go to the credit card company and dispute the charge. I will keep investigating. Thank you for all your responses.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:29 AM

Again, I would not go to Lowes, and especially finance through them at Synchrony Bank.......
Old 03-05-2019, 08:40 AM
Veteran member

We have 6 angled windows on our manufactured home. I want to remove the 2 windows on the end (just block it up) and put in 4 double hung windows. I've done this kind of work before, so I know what's involved. I also have a friend that does handyman work, so I can count on his help. So my question is who I should order the windows from?
Closed Thread

Tags
windows, home, replacement, shutters, awnings

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.