Need aluminum trim repair

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2018, 04:21 PM
Default Need aluminum trim repair

Who do you recommend to replace some aluminum trim that has developed corrosion.

Thanks, Steve
Old 03-06-2018, 07:03 PM

Anybody have a suggestion?
Old 03-06-2018, 09:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

It is possible to treat the corrosion. Stop by any boat store, ask about treating corrosion. There are a variety of products, I recently used a zinc based product for corrosion on an aluminum body panel on my car, is fine after a year of sitting outside. A word of caution, do NOT use an iron or steel based tools on the aluminum, use BRAND NEW stainless steel brushes or wire wheels to clean the area, then apply the zinc (or similar) based primer, then typically a base primer suitable for your final color (white for light finishes, grey for medium, and black for dark finishes). After all had dried, apply the final finish. You should be able to get primers that are compatible with the finish paint.
I hope this helps, if you are not a do it yourself type, this will at least give you some background if the party you hire suggests painting the area.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:26 AM
Sage

Are you referring to aluminum trim on your house such as what wraps the facia boards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvaughn View Post
Who do you recommend to replace some aluminum trim that has developed corrosion.

Thanks, Steve
Closed Thread

Tags
aluminum, trim, developed, steve, corrosion

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.