need new fridge

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2019, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

The one that is there now is not working properly. When we come to TV, very soon now, we need a place to put the food. Hubby says, ABSOLUTELY.

I was thinking that if I order one now, have it set up by the time we are there and we come up with a better idea and change all the appliance. And we will have the right measurements too.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count'n the days View Post
Our Samsung french door fridge has served us well except for the ice maker. It's six years old and we started having problems with the ice maker freezing up right after the warranty expired. I understand it's a bad design and probably the reason the french door style didn't originally have ice and water dispensers in the door. We're tired of thawing out the ice maker every couple of weeks and look forward to replacing it. It's just hard to justify such a large expenditure just for a new ice maker. BTW we did replace the ice maker and after a short while it started freezing up too. Because we want to replace it the fridge will probably last a good long time. When we first tried getting the ice maker repaired the repairman said Samsung should stick with TV's.
Our first French door fridge didn't have ice & water in the door (husband's preference) and the ice maker STILL broke--twice (LG). Our CYV came with a 2-yr-old French door fridge with ice and water in t he door, and the ice maker broke a month after we moved in (Whirlpool Gold). I'm sure it will break again down the line. Otherwise I like the Whirlpool Gold fridge a lot.

I like the French door with the drawer that can either be part of the fridge or part of the freezer. We use it for the fridge and keep husband's many many yogurt cups in there. And I find that we lose track of fewer items in the upper fridge part than we did with a side by side, where the opening was so narrow and things got pushed to the back. Plus you can fit large things like a pizza box or jelly roll pan in both fridge and freezer.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:54 AM
Platinum member

After a lot of research we finally purchased a french door Whirlpool. It’s a big, black stainless beauty! Love it. Bought from Costco. Lower price than Lowe’s and Best Buy, extra year manufacturers warranty, free delivery and haul away of old one. No add on costs. Delivery was courteous and seamless. All our next appliances will come from Costco.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:30 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
All of ours were original and the house is now 17 years old so we thought it best to do the whole thing since we hate buying in "emergency" situations when something like a refrigerator or washing machine breaks.

We did go with the black, finger print resistant, stainless steel and couldn't be happier.

BTW, we set up a free consultation with a Best Buy home rep. She took all the measurements and then sent us a proposal with 3 products in each category -- Good, Better and Best. From beginning to end it was seamless and a pleasurable way to shop. Once we made our decisions, the products were delivered and installed within 3 days.
Did the delivery guys do the install?
Old 10-25-2019, 04:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Did the delivery guys do the install?
Yes.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:58 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

I have great results with my GE fridges in 3 houses. Ice/water on the doors. All original ice makers.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Try going to Consumer reports for what should be an independent review of these. One thing to keep in mind, all brands seem to have problems with ice makers, we are on our 3rd one, so far the last one installed (new design) seems to be working much better then the original and first replacement. This is in a almost 6 year old Whirlpool french door unit. You will probably be getting lots of negative comments regarding the Whirlpool products, but outside of the ice marker and a minor leak there have been no other problems.
I would definitely stay away from the new internet connected units (cameras and screens) as these are probably going to be a maintenance nightmare, JMHO.
My sister is on her 4th refrigerator because of the bad design of the ice maker. Lucky for her, she has an extended warranty and the company has surely taken a huge loss on her fridge. Not only has the fridge been replace three times, parts have been replaced too. Plus....the fridge sounds like an aquarium in her house. It has been one problem after another with the ice maker.

Her fridge is a Samsung. I would not purchase that brand of fridge. TV? Yes. Fridge? NO!!!!!
Old 10-27-2019, 02:22 PM
Sage

Oh no, Samsung appliances are great when they work, after that they are strictly disposable, in my experience. Our television works fine.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:51 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

For a reliable ice maker go GE.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Oh no, Samsung appliances are great when they work, after that they are strictly disposable, in my experience. Our television works fine.
So many items we buy these days are disposable. Remember back when you bought a new refrigerator and it would last 20 years?
Old 10-28-2019, 10:38 AM
Veteran member

We love the new LG with the glass door for quick opening. (whatever they call it) Very quiet and lots of space. Bought it at Best Buy with a complete appliance package. So far, so good. The freezer is a slide out botton and very easy to load. (I sound like a salesman) Why am I getting so excited about a fancy ice box? Ice maker is a must for me.

"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong."

Last edited by bilcon; 10-28-2019 at 10:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-28-2019, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
So many items we buy these days are disposable. Remember back when you bought a new refrigerator and it would last 20 years?
Westinghouse, 1972. Finally got rid of it in 1995. By then it was out in the garage as a second fridge, but still working. We just needed a bigger fridge as the family grew.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
We love the new LG with the glass door for quick opening. (whatever they call it) Very quiet and lots of space. Bought it at Best Buy with a complete appliance package. So far, so good. The freezer is a slide out botton and very easy to load. (I sound like a salesman) Why am I getting so excited about a fancy ice box? Ice maker is a must for me.

"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong."
Bought ours at best buy also, very happy with price, service if necessary, did I mention happy with PRICE, giggle!
Old 10-29-2019, 01:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I just looked at your picture, that is a 36" standard depth. I am 100% certain but of it.
Yes! Yes! The new fridge is in thanks to Empty Nest, who supervised the Costco delivery .... hubby can put the food somewhere.... Velvet is dancing.

Now whether we will change it to all appliances black stainless, we’ll see.
Closed Thread

Tags
fridge, recommendations, buy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.