New Countertop Recommendations

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2018, 12:41 PM
Default New Countertop Recommendations

We are thinking of replacing our 11 year old countertops with new ones. We were debating between granite or a high grade laminate.
We would appreciate any recommendations and who would be a good contractor to go with.
Thank you.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,587 Times in 5,184 Posts

Quartz is the latest thing. I like it better than granite. I don't know what you mean by "high grade" laminate. In terms of durability, I think all laminate is the same. It is made out of plastic and particle board. If your existing countertops are in good condition, I would not go to the trouble and expense to replace them with laminate.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 11-28-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Quartz is the latest thing. I like it better than granite. I don't know what you mean by "high grade" laminate. In terms of durability, I think all laminate is the same. It is made out of plastic and particle board.
Can you tell me please why you like quartz better than granite? We are thinking of upgrading, too... Rae

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2018, 01:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
Can you tell me please why you like quartz better than granite? We are thinking of upgrading, too... Rae

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
I think quartz is somewhat harder and more durable than granite. But, personally, I like that it has a more consistent color and surface smoothness than granite. If you order granite, there is no guarantee that it won't have some color and pattern variations that you don't like, especially if you are picky. I would suggest that you visit some of the new home open houses and look at the quartz. But, both quartz and granite make good countertops.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 11-28-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:33 PM
fw102807

We chose quartz because it is actually harder than granite and thus, more durable and also isn't porous like granite, so it's easy to keep relatively bacteria-free. It also does not need to be sealed.
We got ours from Solid Image in Leesburg because they were highly recommended to us and we were more than happy with them. The fit and install were perfect.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:00 PM
Veteran member

Quartz is not porous and granite is.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
We chose quartz because it is actually harder than granite and thus, more durable and also isn't porous like granite, so it's easy to keep relatively bacteria-free. It also does not need to be sealed.
We got ours from Solid Image in Leesburg because they were highly recommended to us and we were more than happy with them. The fit and install were perfect.
I agree that granite should be sealed every year. But, in my experience, most people almost never do it.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:22 AM
Gold member

We had Doc's Restorations install Cambria quartz countertops in our kitchen upgrade and we couldn't be happier. No maintenance required, looks just great, and it's been two years now and the surface is still perfect. Can't recommend it high enough.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:03 AM

I would go to Magma Granite in Wildwood. They are experts in granite and quartz and can show you both and explain the pros and cons of each. Quartz can be more expensive than granite. They suggested I do a selection of each and see where I was price wise. They had 9 manufacturers of quartz and a whole warehouse full of granite. They offered a 15 year sealant on the granite so that solved the sealing every year issue. I am having them re-do my master bath and have extremely pleased so far. They are getting my bath done next week. They are right behind Russell Stovers so stopped in there for some Christmas gifts. A delightful experience!!!
Old 11-29-2018, 10:36 AM

Quartz fades in areas of sun exposure over time, Granite does not. Quartz chips easier than Granite. Quartz comes in more colors because it can be manufactured, but costs more than Granite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think quartz is somewhat harder and more durable than granite. But, personally, I like that it has a more consistent color and surface smoothness than granite. If you order granite, there is no guarantee that it won't have some color and pattern variations that you don't like, especially if you are picky. I would suggest that you visit some of the new home open houses and look at the quartz. But, both quartz and granite make good countertops.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:19 PM
Gold member

I was always told that if you are looking at resale, do the quartz or granite. If you are doing it for yourself, consider laminate but do what you like best. I have Corian, but it was here when we bought. We have no plans to replace it, it's very nice.
Closed Thread

Tags
recommendations, high, grade, laminate, contractor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.