new granite countertops

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2020, 06:49 AM

I believe you cannot put hot items on a quartz surface. Granite is more heat resistant than quartz.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
We just stayed out of the kitchen and bathrooms while the installers were here. Our houses aren't huge, but you can manage social distance in them.

We were going to buy quartz over granite for the same reason but once we saw some of the stunning granite slabs, the quartz samples struck us as about as boring and bland as the high-definition laminate countertops that we were replacing. So we're going to put up with a little extra maintenance (we've had granite before and know what that entails) to get the extra beauty. But everybody has different needs and tastes.
I keep hearing about maintenance of granite. In our last house, we had granite countertops for 20+ years, never touched them, and they still looked like the day we had them installed. I'm not sure how some people use their kitchen that requires all the maintenance.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
We just stayed out of the kitchen and bathrooms while the installers were here. Our houses aren't huge, but you can manage social distance in them.

We were going to buy quartz over granite for the same reason but once we saw some of the stunning granite slabs, the quartz samples struck us as about as boring and bland as the high-definition laminate countertops that we were replacing. So we're going to put up with a little extra maintenance (we've had granite before and know what that entails) to get the extra beauty. But everybody has different needs and tastes.
Depending upon the level of granite you buy, the price can vary greatly, granite is typically substantially cheaper than quartz and the maintenance is far less. Remember, putting something hot on a man-made surface is not recommended where something hot on stone creates much less of a problem.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:27 AM

Docs is very pricey!
Old 07-12-2020, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

I no longer use granite, as I found it chipped to easily around edges.
Dropped a glasss one time an took a corner off. Glass survived!
Dropped knife also chipped an edge.
Using a quartze now, and so far so good, and I think it cleans up easier, and doesn't show finger marks as much as granite.
JMHO.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
I keep hearing about maintenance of granite. In our last house, we had granite countertops for 20+ years, never touched them, and they still looked like the day we had them installed. I'm not sure how some people use their kitchen that requires all the maintenance.
I wonder what the big deal is too. We've had ours for 8 years and have never done anything to them but wipe with a wet dish rag. They still look as good as the day they were installed. I understand there is a permanent sealer that can applied, or a temporary one that needs to be reapplied occasionally. But that is very easy to do and certainly not considered to be high maintenance.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:53 AM

Duncan Stone best price. Excellent service. You won’t believe how much you will save get your estimate then go to Duncan. That will be your last stop. See Mike Sirasky there.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:58 AM

you just might be making a mistake with granite....it emits radon. Ask anyone from the Granite State (NH), find something else that is as pretty and not so many health complications. If I were buying a house with that in it, I'd reduce what I would pay for the place as I would want that stuff removed.......and you're going to put it in the bathrooms.....right next door to where your bedroom is located and you spend 1/3 of your life. Houses in NH have to have radon equipment installed to vent the radon out as it is such a hazard.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr kibbles View Post
trying to gigure out -if we should go to granite yard like duncan stone or use a contractor like doc's renovation ?-- understand by post that they are both very good -- is it cheaper to go direct seller and installer ??

I have used Duncan Stone my Kitchen, Bathrooms and Fireplace Mantle, great work and reasonable prices as well as fast service. I am a realtor and also own a Home Watch Company and always refer them out to my Buyers and Owners.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:23 AM
theruizs

Quote:
trying to gigure out -if we should go to granite yard like duncan stone or use a contractor like doc's renovation ?-- understand by post that they are both very good -- is it cheaper to go direct seller and installer ??
You check out the quartz options. They have gotten much more varied than when they first started to appear. It is a greener option and quartz requires zero maintenance because it non-pourous. Granite will need to be sealed periodically. Worth at least checking out. Cost is about the same.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:30 AM

We went to burns and got Quartz at half the price Docs wanted for granite.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Cascade View Post
you just might be making a mistake with granite....it emits radon. Ask anyone from the Granite State (NH), find something else that is as pretty and not so many health complications. If I were buying a house with that in it, I'd reduce what I would pay for the place as I would want that stuff removed.......and you're going to put it in the bathrooms.....right next door to where your bedroom is located and you spend 1/3 of your life. Houses in NH have to have radon equipment installed to vent the radon out as it is such a hazard.
That was a scare story put out years ago.
The amount of Radon emitted fron worktops etc is too small to measure.
Granite States are built on the stuff, which is why there are higher readings of Radon.
You are truly, a lot more at risk from your cell phone and computer than from Radon from counter tops!
Old 07-12-2020, 09:22 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,064 Times in 533 Posts

Granite is so passe. Get quartz, better on so many levels.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:43 AM
Default McCullough Water & Granite

Quote:
McCullough water and granite in Ocala did a wonderful job on our kitchen and two bathrooms in 2013. We still see the quality after 7 years installed.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:44 AM

They do not come any better than, this is a great place.
Closed Thread

Tags
granite, post, good, understand, cheaper

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.