New hair cut pricing at Cal’s

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2019, 10:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbenjamin View Post
I was told the same thing. The barbers (mostly men) can still do dry cuts for $17.00, although rumor is they don't like to cut women's hair. While the stylists can still do a dry cut the price will be $28. I was also told that it's only the Brownwood location. Isn't that interesting? For the smart-mouth that suggested we go buy clippers @ Wal-Mart...if you have nothing positive to contribute then please don't say anything @ all. Due to some small SK's on my scalp (which I'm not willing to remove yet) I don't want someone else vigorously washing my hair. I don't need to pay for that service. Unfortunately for my stylist of 2+ years I didn't make my next appointment. She knows why. Not sure what I'm going to do.
Maybe try Cals at LSL. Jeff Carpenter cuts my hair and my wifes hair. He cuts her hair the way she likes it. That location also has several ladies that I've seen cut mens and womens hair. Ladies cut is $17.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
This seemed a little unreasonable as Cal's just raised the price for basic ladies wetting, cut, blow dry from $15 to $17 2 years ago...after being $15 for quite a while.

I just called Cal's at Colony and asked about this rumored price increase. They said there is no pending price increase for basic wetting, cut, and blow dry. They did say if you went to Brownwood or Spanish Springs and got the "full" shampoo, cut, Style, blow dry then that price is $28.

So, I think this one is a bad rumor or a misunderstanding.
It's true. I go to Brownwood and there has been a notice posted on every operators mirror and it will be more than $28 there. I think it will be $32 or $34. Add a tip and it gets very pricy. I paid $73 before the tip in Ohio. It was an excellent hair cut and I would pay it again for an excellent haircut but the haircuts here are mediocre at best. I've been here 10 years and have seen at least 24 stylists. If I could cut my hair I would.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I’ve been a customer at Cals in Brownwood for over 2 years now. I get my short hair dry cut for 17+ tip. She spends about 12 minutes with me. Today I was informed that as of Sept. 3rd, prices will go up to 28 dollars for wash and cut...no blow dry. I was a bit taken back. Going from 17 to 28 PLUS extra to blow dry is a big difference. I could see if wash, cut and blow dry was offered for 28 but without blow dry is a lot. They will no longer offer the dry (spray bottle wet) hair cut. Now...before you tell me how cheap 28 is for a wash and cut, it’s not where I come from. I paid that for full service. Once again, because we live in the villages we get taken advantage of for women’s services. Time to find a hair cut for 28.00 inclusive of wash, cut and blow dry.
News Flash : FYI.... Cal's has an agreement with the Developer . Cal's is the " Only " game in town. Plenty of choices off The Villages property. Shop Around
Old 12-05-2019, 08:29 PM

I have tried various barbers and am tired of getting a 15 minute quickie haircut. Charging $15 for a haircut these people are getting at least 3 + haircuts per hour = $45 per hour. Now I know they have to either pay for their chair, or a part of the cuts, but they are making a lot of $ and it is Impossible (!) to give a professional haircut in that time limit unless you are really concentrating and working hard. Is there a place to get a professional haircut with a barber who takes his time.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:10 PM
Veteran member

As I mentioned in a previous post. One Barber Shop in " The Villages "..... Cal's ...... most would find this very odd compared to the many businesses here.

For the very obvious reason that I have mentioned, I go elsewhere. One Barber Shop in The Villages... c'mon ya gotta be totally ignorant or downright stupid to wonder " WHY ".

For me the obvious.......Kickback $$$$$$
Old 12-06-2019, 12:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
As I mentioned in a previous post. One Barber Shop in " The Villages "..... Cal's ...... most would find this very odd compared to the many businesses here.

For the very obvious reason that I have mentioned, I go elsewhere. One Barber Shop in The Villages... c'mon ya gotta be totally ignorant or downright stupid to wonder " WHY ".

There are other Barber shops, One in Palm Ridge, off 466 behind Lang Eye.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-06-2019 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

I once worked with a guy that got a haircut once a year! As I get older it appeals to me more and more.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:

I suspect you also believe conspiracy theories....so your speculation fits well here. No knowledge, no facts yet to you it's obvious? If Villagers weren't so focused on cart access there are plenty of barbers and salons within a couple miles of The Villages but that might result in the need to use a CAR

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-07-2019, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There are other Barber shops, One in Palm Ridge, off 466 behind Lang Eye.
Buffalo Barber Shop. My Dad and Mom both got haircuts for $30 with a $5 tip. This was a few days ago. I do all the driving now. $15 each. No wash though.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Since I don’t have that much hair left so I just have my wife snip it back for me every couple of months for free. Plus, a bottle of shampoo seems to last forever, so I got that going for me . It seems like the only hairs on my head that aren’t falling out are the ones that turned grey. Not sure what happened to that head of thick, curly brown hair I used to have way back when?
Old 12-07-2019, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Since I don’t have that much hair left so I just have my wife snip it back for me every couple of months for free. Plus, a bottle of shampoo seems to last forever, so I got that going for me . It seems like the only hairs on my head that aren’t falling out are the ones that turned grey. Not sure what happened to that head of thick, curly brown hair I used to have way back when?
I used to have curly blonde hair as toddler, then it went brown. Still not gray but have little of it on top. Had tried a comb over a while but it looked really ridiculous.

I had toyed with the idea of getting it cut at the Buffalo Barber Shop a few days ago where I had driven my Mom and Dad to each get $15 cuts, but I had had mine cut there a few months back and like to delude myself that I can still pull off a realistic comb over.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:14 AM
Sage

I used to go to Cal's in Brownwood but my stylist left. I found that the new place in Trailwinds Plaza on 466a is quite good and the cost is the same as I previously paid at Cal's. I don't need "fancy" and I can wash my own hair prior to the appointment. So unless things change with these folks, I'll stick with them for now. There are plenty of places around this community where one can get a haircut.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:54 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

My previous shop up North scheduled male cuts every 20 minutes. They did a terrific job in 20 minutes and charged $20. 3 x 20 = $60 + tips. In TV if they schedule every 15 minutes a male cut and charge $17 x 4 = $68 + tips. Draw your own conclusions assuming equal skilled Barbers - or not. If you want golf cart assessable, your options are limited.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:

Interesting opinion. So your position is that the Morse family intentionally conspired to create a monopoly for a few barber shops in exchange for "kickback $$$$"? OK, put yourself in their position. How much money would it take for you to blatantly violate at least half a dozen laws risking significant jail time and millions of dollars in fines when you are already worth over a billion dollars. Then ask yourself if you think a few barber shops could generate that much in "kickback $$$$"
So, you can put me in your basket of "totally ignorant or downright stupid" individuals, I'm honored to be placed there (despite an IQ of 178)
Old 12-07-2019, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

There was a Barber/Beauty Shop in The Walmart that looked like everyone got the same haircut. It reminded me of a movie. Dumb & Dumber.
Closed Thread

Tags
cut, dry, blow, hair, wash

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.