New hair cut pricing at Cal’s

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2019, 06:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
As I mentioned in a previous post. One Barber Shop in " The Villages "..... Cal's ...... most would find this very odd compared to the many businesses here.

For the very obvious reason that I have mentioned, I go elsewhere. One Barber Shop in The Villages... c'mon ya gotta be totally ignorant or downright stupid to wonder " WHY ".

For me the obvious.......Kickback $$$$$$
Here's a question. Do some people live here simply because they want to look for something to be unhappy about?
Old 12-07-2019, 07:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I’ve been a customer at Cals in Brownwood for over 2 years now. I get my short hair dry cut for 17+ tip. She spends about 12 minutes with me. Today I was informed that as of Sept. 3rd, prices will go up to 28 dollars for wash and cut...no blow dry. I was a bit taken back. Going from 17 to 28 PLUS extra to blow dry is a big difference. I could see if wash, cut and blow dry was offered for 28 but without blow dry is a lot. They will no longer offer the dry (spray bottle wet) hair cut. Now...before you tell me how cheap 28 is for a wash and cut, it’s not where I come from. I paid that for full service. Once again, because we live in the villages we get taken advantage of for women’s services. Time to find a hair cut for 28.00 inclusive of wash, cut and blow dry.
I was a hairdresser and can tell you that a dry cut is not as good as a wet cut. Wet hair is easier to control while cutting than dry hair is. I wouldn't do a dry cut when I was working. I didn't want my name on a bad cut.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
For comparison purposes: Mens' current haircut cost in ABQ, NM $14, CDM, CA $20. They are both 20 minute haircuts and the barbers trim eyebrows and ears if you want. The women I know in Newport Beach pay anywhere from $80 to $250 and occasionally a little more which includes adding body, coloring, highlighting, streaking, cutting off split ends, and so on. Almost all of the women I know in Southern California prefer to wear their hair "blonded" (lol), shoulder length or longer.
There are no stylists in The Villages who are worth $80 to $250 and I have been to about 23 of them.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:56 AM
Veteran member

My friend's husband gets his hair cut at Market's of Marion. I think she said it is about $12, takes about 10-15 minutes, and it looks good.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:31 AM

Brandis salon rt 301 oxford,nice country looking place 8.00 haircuts....does a gr8 job....
Old 12-08-2019, 10:05 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
As I mentioned in a previous post. One Barber Shop in " The Villages "..... Cal's ...... most would find this very odd compared to the many businesses here.

For the very obvious reason that I have mentioned, I go elsewhere. One Barber Shop in The Villages... c'mon ya gotta be totally ignorant or downright stupid to wonder " WHY ".

For me the obvious.......Kickback $$$$$$
Where I come from a lease is not a “kickback”.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:23 AM
Michael Charles

Well I'm no longer an expert on anything. I've only been there just once and do not remember. Are the barbers/stylists at Cal's independent contractors or employees? As independent contractors they would most likely pay booth rent. Please educate me about the pricing there, does management set the prices? I do know that the lease rates for any business in any of the village owned properties aren't the cheapest, so the price increase might just reflect that. Last time I checked a business is entitled to make a profit.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I would think that Cal's barber shop would operate just like a real estate office. They are not employees but independent contractors. The owner provides the building, the chair and sink, a cashier, pays the utilities, advertising and any other overhead. The owner can then receive payment in one of two ways. He collects a percentage (a commission) from each sale, the barber keeps his tips, or he charges a flat monthly fee for each space, which is the way Remax Realty operates or did. BTW, I've cut my own hair since 1989, it's not hard to do.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
I carpool to Big Al's once a month with my neighbor. Men's haircut is $8.00, and every Monday there is a $1.00 off coupon in the paper. I've never waited more than ten minutes, and most times I am in the chair immediately. Never had a bad haircut there.
" Big Al's ? Stopped going to that place years ago. I compared Big Al's to the Barber Shop at every military base. Zip, Zip, Zip approx. 7 minutes …. followed by NEXT.....
Old 12-08-2019, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
I carpool to Big Al's once a month with my neighbor. Men's haircut is $8.00, and every Monday there is a $1.00 off coupon in the paper. I've never waited more than ten minutes, and most times I am in the chair immediately. Never had a bad haircut there.
So what's that..... like maybe 3-4 people ahead of you? You're not the Villager I heard about (true story) going in with 8 coupons and wanting a haircut..... are you? I also heard there is another barber shop on 441 closer to the Villages that has a sign out "We fix $8.00 haircuts!"
Old 12-08-2019, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Here's a question. Do some people live here simply because they want to look for something to be unhappy about?
No, most of them were unhappy complainers long before they moved here
Old 12-12-2019, 03:39 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,447 Posts

I like being able to make an appointment. Had a guy in Wildwood, then he moved to Sumterville, then he got into an accident and hurt his back, now looking for another "barber" that makes appointments.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
No, most of them were unhappy complainers long before they moved here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post

BTW, I cut my hair with a 3 bladed Schick razor in the shower; the only cost is the blade and probably two more minutes of water; it's as slick as a baby's behind.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:26 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

I have been going to Cal’s in Brownwood for years (I am a woman) and have never gotten a cut for $17 or anywhere near that or are these prices for men?
Closed Thread

Tags
cut, dry, blow, hair, wash

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.