New Roof

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2019, 07:26 AM
Default New Roof

I was approached by a representative of Batter Bee roofing. He said that, due to the last several storms, insurance companies are paying the costs, less deductibles, of a new roof.

Batter Bee will do an evaluation of my roof. If they deem it needs to be replaced, they will contact my insurance company. The rep said in almost all instances the insurance company will agree and pay. The estimate is free.

Sounds good, but I am skeptical. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 09-15-2019, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misky1951 View Post
I was approached by a representative of Batter Bee roofing. He said that, due to the last several storms, insurance companies are paying the costs, less deductibles, of a new roof.

Batter Bee will do an evaluation of my roof. If they deem it needs to be replaced, they will contact my insurance company. The rep said in almost all instances the insurance company will agree and pay. The estimate is free.

Sounds good, but I am skeptical. Anyone have any experience with this?

I would make a quick call to your insurance company...and ask them yourself.

I have a personal rule that if a company comes to my door, when they know (or should know) full well that solicitation in TV is not allowed...they politely get the door shut in their faces.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

I would make a quick call to your insurance company...and ask them yourself.

I have a personal rule that if a company comes to my door, when they know (or should know) full well that solicitation in TV is not allowed...they politely get the door shut in their faces.
I agree. I don't do business with companies that break the rules.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

You can always file a claim with your insurance company and find out if they will pay for a new roof. But, some contractors want you to authorize the insurance company to pay them directly, which takes away all of your control over the work and the time frame. I would never do that. If your insurance will cover the roof, get three quotes and hire a good company. Also, I would never pay money in advance. I think McGinnis is a good roofer. He installed a friend's roof on a small house in the old part of The Villages for about $5,000. And, they didn't need to pay any money until the job was completed.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:00 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

I believe that BatterBee is a sub-contractor for the developer...they did the roof on a new build down the street from our house. Their employees should know full well that solicitation is not permitted in the Villages. I would follow all of the advice of the previous posters - especially when it came to getting quotes and not paying until all work is complete.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:05 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
You can always file a claim with your insurance company and find out if they will pay for a new roof. But, some contractors want you to authorize the insurance company to pay them directly, which takes away all of your control over the work and the time frame. I would never do that. If your insurance will cover the roof, get three quotes and hire a good company. Also, I would never pay money in advance. I think McGinnis is a good roofer. He installed a friend's roof on a small house in the old part of The Villages for about $5,000. And, they didn't need to pay any money until the job was completed.
In the "for what it's worth" category. Just had a new roof installed on my home in TN. Comparable to my home in TV. Cost was about 60% of the lowest estimate I got for a roof in TV. I find that most work in TV is done at a premium except lawn care - that is cheap compared to most places.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 09-15-2019, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Were you in the market for a new roof?

Were you thinking you needed a new roof for some reason?

If not are you curious about why they want to check your roof?
Old 09-15-2019, 09:39 AM
Platinum member

really does represent Batter Bee? It doesn't sound like the way they do business.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:06 AM
Sage

I would think that most roofers around TV have plenty of business without going "door to door."
Old 09-15-2019, 12:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If you were not having roof problems I would not follow up.
If you have problems get estimates from several companies and discuss if they feel part of the cost is covered by insurance. Get the documentation from the company and send to your insurance company. Nail down the cost before you sign a contract.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Whether or not a roof replacement or repair is covered by insurance should be between you and the insurance company. But, some contractors will want to "represent" you and ask you to sign a document authorizing them to be paid directly by the insurance company. In my opinion, this is a very bad idea.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Never, NEVER sign an "assignment of Benefits" agreement, as stated above, you lose ALL control of the project. If you do not believe me call Seniors against crime.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:10 AM

Power Roofing & Construction LLC is great 352-267-4906 call David...they were very fast and did a great job. BBB accredited too.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:20 AM

Solicitation is a no no for me. Call the insurance company.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:29 AM
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ and our beautiful house in The Village of Hillsborough

This is a common practice. As a landlord of commercial and industrial space, we often see this happen. A contractor will come into the area to lease space, when severe storms are scheduled to hit or after storms have hit. They lease the space and then saturate the local area with their representative knocking on doors to get work. Their pitch is you can get a new roof or new siding, etc. and your insurance company will pay for it, due to "storm damage".

Tags
roof, insurance, bee, company, batter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.