noise of neighbors pool pump

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2017, 08:18 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wilmington Ohio, bought in Hadley Village January 2009, move when we can retire
Default noise of neighbors pool pump

My neighbors pool pump is noisy. He has solar panels so he probably has to run it during the day. We are lanai people. Once you hear it…it's hard to get it out of your mind. We'd love to hear any ideas on how to put up something to tone down the noise. We don't have curtains or blinds on our screens. Part of our lanai is covered on top but part is just bird cage. We have put up bushes that have grown tall, but it's little help. Thanks for you help.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:23 PM
Sage

Enclosing our lanai keeps out a lot of noise from our two neighbor's pools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2017, 08:44 PM
Veteran member

Hopefully your neighbors are nice people.
Can you speak to them and ask them if they can put up a panel with shrubs on the outside, blocking the equipment?
I think that would certainly help in blocking some noise.

If that doesn't work, can you speak to someone at the Villages office?
Pool equipment is unsightly and perhaps they can tell the owners to put up some kind of barrier so you don't have to look at it.

Good luck!
Old 05-07-2017, 09:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Pool pumps run during the day every day usually for a minimum of eight hours. Unfortunately, that is just a fact of pool maintenance. There are some sound reducing barriers your neighbor could install. You may want to offer to participate in the cost.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2017, 09:34 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

I'm sympathetic with your problem. Unfortunately there are no good answers. Some of what others mentioned could help but not like enclosing your lanai. You might try enclosing the side of your lanai closest to the pool pump leaving you with at least a half of lanai to enjoy.

A pool pump, air conditioners, loud neighbors, cart/vehicle traffic, etc. have caused many to enclose their lanai. You are not in this boat alone.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

It wouldn't be difficult to install these pool pumps 3' underground. Considering how small our lots are I don't know why they don't. That would eliminate any noise.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:55 AM
Default Noise

Before we became full time on one of our short trips here to our new house I went outside and heard my pool pump.

It was running but making a very loud noise. The pump had to be replaced.

I told my neighbor he should have called me about the noise. He said he thought that was just they way they were.

When the pumps are running correctly that are not that loud.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:31 PM
Veteran member

We've had the same problem. When our neighbor's pool pump runs, it actually creates a humming noise in our bedroom and is quite annoying. Since the neighbor's house is a rental, we asked if we could put a note for T&D on the pool pump, which they graciously agreed to. We let the pool service person know about the humming noise and how it kept us up at night. He reset the timer to only run during the day and be quiet in the evening. At least, for now, it is good. Good luck to you! Unfortunately, most pool pumps will make noise when they are running.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

The only way to reduce the noise is to totally enclose the lanai with double or triple pane glass. I don't think there is any way to block the noise from the bird cage part, unless you install a glass ceiling on it. Noise travels in all directions, and it is virtually impossible to effectively block it with outside barriers. A thick, solid concrete barrier will reduce the noise a little, but shrubs or bushes will do nothing to block noise because sound travels through the air and the air gaps will allow the noise to flow right through any landscaping you install.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 05-09-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:36 PM

Put in a pool and run your pump, it should take care of your problem!
Old 05-10-2017, 04:21 AM
Veteran member

I know when my pump runs, it does not make a noise like that. need to have the pump checked out. Might need a new one. Also might not be a variable speed pump and it is running at a higher speed all the time it is on.
not sure why the pump would be running at night. They are adjustable with time and speed settings.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsl1998 View Post
My neighbors pool pump is noisy. He has solar panels so he probably has to run it during the day. We are lanai people. Once you hear it…it's hard to get it out of your mind. We'd love to hear any ideas on how to put up something to tone down the noise. We don't have curtains or blinds on our screens. Part of our lanai is covered on top but part is just bird cage. We have put up bushes that have grown tall, but it's little help. Thanks for you help.
No different that noisy air conditioners running 24 7. My neighbors is beyond my bedroom wall and the compressor on its last leg. Get that whinning tone up and down, up and down. IMO pools should be only allowed on lots (1/3 acre or bigger?) big enough and far enough from near by neighbors. Most pools IMO are not used that often anyway.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

I recently went to an open house for a beautiful new $1.6 million house in Pine Hills. The house next door had pool equipment within 15 feet of the master bedroom window and you could hear a constant humming sound in the bedroom. I cannot imagine anyone buying that house.
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, noise, part, hear, neighbors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.