“low” commission realtor recommendation

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2020, 06:38 AM
Default “low” commission realtor recommendation

Any recommendations on excellent MLS realtors who don’t charge 6%? We don’t have enough equity built up in our home to cover 6% because of our price range and buying less than two years ago. Logistics don’t allow us to sell by owner. Prefer MLS over The Villages agents.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:09 AM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

How low do you want them to go? Get it too low and you run the risk of agents not showing it because of the low commission
Old 01-18-2020, 08:13 AM
Sage

You don't get excellence for cheap.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

You may find an agent to list it for one percent, but you will probably need to offer the selling agent at least 2.5 to 3 percent or they won't want to show it.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

You may find one that is good. You may find one that is cheap. I don't think you'll find one that is good and cheap.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:11 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

You get what you pay for. +40 years in real estate sales and I can tell you showings would be less w/less commission. Agents will show yours last if at all.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:47 AM

Focus on getting a GOOD agent! There are a lot of agents however few have experience!
Old 01-19-2020, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

So you're saying a home you purchased in TV hasn't increased in value at least 6% in two years? My CYV has increased by 64% in 8 years ($158K to $249K), or is it because of the cost of many improvements you've made? It will take slightly longer to recover those costs and you never get the full value of an upgrade.

The home I sold just before moving here 9 years ago from Maryland I sold in one day with a discount broker. Only the listing fee can be discounted, the selling agent and broker will get their normal commission. You have someone list your home for a flat fee of $200 for example, that will get it in the MLS system. That listing agent will do nothing as far as selling your home. They won't take photos, they won't advertise, they won't have open house. You're totally dependent upon your home being shown by other agents. That's what happened with my home, an agent from Long & Foster (largest realtor in Maryland) showed the home at 10am, and called with an offer at noon.

The cheapest I've seen was in Hernando County Florida I worked for an ERA agent and we only charged 4.8%. The other brokers knew when showing our listings they were not going to get their usual split of 6%, normal split 4 ways (listing agent, listing broker, selling agent, selling broker).

Here, I did a search for you, a whole page of flat fee listing agents.

flat fee listing agent sumter county florida - Google Search
Old 01-20-2020, 11:08 AM

Interview 3 realtors from 3 different companies. The last time I did this, (new construction at 80 % finished) none of them had the common sense to ask me for the Listing.

1 week later Jay called me.
He informed me that another realtor from Charlottesville called him asking if he new of a certain type of house. “I think they might be interested in yours. Can we have them look at your home?” Neither realtor asked me for the listing. While the 2 realtors and the home buyer were looking at my house, the home buyer pulled me aside and asked if I had a price set on the property. After giving her my asking price she asked if I was open to changing any options such as tile, hardwood etc.

She than grabbed her husband and the 2 realtors and dragged them to the nearest office to sign an offer to purchase my house.

Jay presented me with he offer the next morning and I accepted. Nice guy that I am, I gave them 3%.

This is a true story. My point is, a true salesperson will ask for the sale (over and over again). Choose the realtor that asks and wants your listing. When he or she shows your house, the realtor will ask the lookers to buy your house. After choosing, negotiate, but hire that Realtor!
Old 01-20-2020, 11:29 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

People I know have at least a dozen times listed with a discount broker for 1% and paid 3% to any broker that sells their property. They do pay several hundred dollars for professional photos which go into the MLS listing. Of course the photos are what draw buyers as these days almost all potential buyers scan listings on their own at Zillow, Redfin, Trulia or Realtor.com then obtain a buyer's broker to see any properties they want to visit.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-20-2020, 11:41 AM
Location: Native to West Palm Beach, FL I am renting current home, yet to decide if TV will be next move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdhj4ever View Post
Any recommendations on excellent MLS realtors who don’t charge 6%? We don’t have enough equity built up in our home to cover 6% because of our price range and buying less than two years ago. Logistics don’t allow us to sell by owner. Prefer MLS over The Villages agents.
Don’t let Realtors tell you that if you don’t pay the full 6%, you won’t get the required services to sell you home. There are many different paths to consider for avoiding paying 6% commission. Do some research on:
  • Discount Realtors who will negotiate the commission
  • Flat Fee MLS Listing Services
  • FSBO – For Sale By Owner
Old 01-20-2020, 01:52 PM
Veteran member

Redfin charges 4%. That’s 1% for them and 3% for the buyer’s agent. Full service and they are good AND cheap. More responsive and professional than conventional realtors in my experience, generally speaking.

Tags
don’t, mls, years, ago, buying

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.