One Year Warranty Inspection

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Default One Year Warranty Inspection

We're coming up on one year in our new home and want an inspection before the warranty ends.

I did a search and found several recommendations for Pat Degioia at A-1 Villages Home Inspections. Also a couple good comments for Tom Comer and J.R. Raspel. However all these recommendations were from several months ago or more.

Anyone used their services recently? Were you satisfied with their work? Or anyone have a recommendation who is not mentioned above?

Thanks for your comments!
Old 08-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Location: Utica, New York, Plantation, Florida, The Villages, Florida

Hi English Ivy....still haven't been able to connect with you yet. But one of these days we'll finally meet. We used Pat a couple of weeks ago and he did a good job, in fact he found a problem with our roof that would have been a potential problem. We also had him install a surge protector for the house.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:03 AM

Thanks Helene. It's good to know you were pleased with Pat's inspection services.

Yes, someday we shall meet. Can you believe it's been a year since you helped me with my insurance question? Times flies when you're having fun in The Villages!
Old 08-29-2009, 07:02 AM
Platinum member
Default Missed 1 Item

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
We're coming up on one year in our new home and want an inspection before the warranty ends.

I did a search and found several recommendations for Pat Degioia at A-1 Villages Home Inspections. Also a couple good comments for Tom Comer and J.R. Raspel. However all these recommendations were from several months ago or more.

Anyone used their services recently? Were you satisfied with their work? Or anyone have a recommendation who is not mentioned above?

Thanks for your comments!
We rarely use our front door and exit mainly thru the garage. After our year inspection and warranty expiration, I noticed the front door lock mechanism wasn't protruding into the frame (door jam). The dead bolt also had issues. There is 1/8" gap at the top of the door with 3/8" at the bottom. Clearly the door needed to be shimmed.

Upon Pats arrival, he asked if we had anything that needed corrected. I mentioned a few cosmetic items but over looked the door. After seeing him across the street at a neighbors recently, he walked over and agreed that the door needed shimmed of course at my leisure. So you may want to check your door locks to ensure that they work as advertised. The only way we realized that there was a problem was when the door was pushed shut, it didn't always latch. Other than that he seemed to be thorough.

Last edited by F16 1UB; 08-29-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Pat did our inspection about 2 years ago and all was fine. I recently followed up with him if he could write me a wind mitigation report for my homeowners insurance and he just told me that he is no longer licenced to write wind mitigation reports ! Other than this his home inspectinos were readily accepted and acted upon by the Villages.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:06 AM

English.....I agree....I can't believe it will be one year ago on 10/1 that we closed on our villa. Getting closer to our move....can't wait to be there permanently.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:08 PM
nkrifats

We used Tom Comer in May for the preowned home we was buying.
Very good inspection and report. A couple of items I questioned. Tom came back with no additional charge and checked them again. Very fair and Honest person to do business with. I would highly recommend Tom.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:05 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Just had Jurgen of Best Property Consultants do a home inspection for one of my clients. He did an excellent and thorough job. The rate was $189.00. You can contact him at 888/730-2272 (cell 352/396-9197). This is definitely a man I would not hesitate to use on my own home if I needed him.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-31-2009, 10:21 AM
Gold member

For those who have had inspections for new construction performed before the 1-year warranty expiration: did your inspector find anything that you considered critical? If so, what was it? We are closing in on one year as well and I'm wondering about the need for an inspection.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:43 AM
Sage

NJ...

It's been a couple of years, but, yes, I do feel the inspection was worth it. He didn't find anything critical but a few 'medium' problems .... with attic insulation, caulking/cracks, securing of vents on the roof, etc.

The good thing is that the inspector goes up into the attic and up on the roof, places you may not feel comfortable exploring. Also, he generally knows things to look for and, lastly, the Villages tends to give their written reports a little more credence than when you or I call up verbally to report an item.

It was $200 well spent in my opinion. We used Pat DeGioia.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:29 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I think it is one of the better investments you can make. The inspector may only find a lot of little nit-picky items but imagine if there is something major that you can't see but the inspector finds. Some things are just worth the piece of mind if nothing else and this, to me, is definitely worth the piece of mind.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-31-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
For those who have had inspections for new construction performed before the 1-year warranty expiration: did your inspector find anything that you considered critical? If so, what was it? We are closing in on one year as well and I'm wondering about the need for an inspection.
We used Pat and most things he found were not major, however, he found a problem with one of the shingles on our roof. Turned out it would have turned into a problem down the road if it wasn't fixed, so I was very happy we got the inspection done.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.