Ooma Phone System

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Platinum member
Default Ooma Phone System

Does anyone have the Ooma phone system?

The new issue of Consumer Reports basically raves about it.

While Ooma is another VoiP (Voice over internet Protocol) system, your computer does not have to be on to make it work, and the strength and quality fo signal is supposed to be very good.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusluvit View Post
Does anyone have the Ooma phone system?

The new issue of Consumer Reports basically raves about it.

While Ooma is another VoiP (Voice over internet Protocol) system, your computer does not have to be on to make it work, and the strength and quality for signal is supposed to be very good.
We purchased the Ooma phone system for our home in TV because we couldn't justify paying a monthly cost for a land line. Ooma works as advertised and I would recommend this system in a heartbeat. Comcast phone services is an example of VoIP and Ooma provides the same type service at a fraction of the cost. Like any VoIP service, you will need a internet connection for Ooma to work.

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 04-14-2011, 10:08 PM

Had Ooma Telo for over a year and very happy, until recently. Nothing wrong with Ooma but, unfortunately, I've developed a problem with my Internet service. Ooma needs less than 384K for good voice quality but my problem is QoS and Jitter on the upstream (a little techie). It causes breakup on the other end. I'm still trying to resolve it.

Google search "VoIP Speed Test" to check out your service. If it works for you, it's a great deal at $3.47/mo.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:32 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have Ooma at two homes and Magic Jack at another. Ooma works better, does not require a computer and has better voice quality. Only downside is they only cover US where Magic Jack does both US and Canada. However I am moving every place to Ooma. Cost is $200 to $240 depending on where you buy, and then the $3.47 is the federal tax each month. Another rip off by our tax system as you are already paying taxes on your internet connection. But that's another topic. Ooma works well and is worth the cost.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:06 AM
Gold member

Have had Ooma for several years, everything about it is great. We pay a little to have the ability to have two separate phone conversations at the same time. In otherwords spouse and I can be talking to different people at the same time with only one phone number.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:31 AM
Location: Too many to mention, then Loveland, OH; Poinciana then Fernandina!
Thumbs up

We have had our Ooma for ~a year and a half and add us to its list of satisfied customers. (We have retained our land line just in case of power outages, but are considering getting rid of it).
"Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love, they depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs your heart is very big " Erica Jong
Old 04-15-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoPAA View Post
We have had our Ooma for ~a year and a half and add us to its list of satisfied customers. (We have retained our land line just in case of power outages, but are considering getting rid of it).

I've always heard the stories of not being able to get 911 fast enough by using cell phone or other type (non land line) phones.

Only real life example of this was the power outtage in north east when cell lines did not work due to no juice to towers or damage to towers. My niece had such an emerency during that outtage and was unable to get help therefore had to find a neighbor that had a line line. Scared the heck out of them and now they have a line line again.

Anyone have any additional advise etc on this????

aj
Old 04-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Veteran member
Default phone service

I'm aware of OOMA but have not used it yet.

1>We have an alarm system. (Not sure if we will in TV)
2> Has anyone used to fax? Not that I do so much but you never know ie to send infor to a DR....

We also use google voice so you can join your cell and ooma number. I have it set for work as well but that won't be an issue soon!

Lastly, setup a gmail e-mail account. Let's you call in the US (not sureabout Canada) over your internet for free. Great to use for those 800 phone calls.... You cannot get calls but you can use your cell for incoming....
Old 04-15-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljetmet View Post
I'm aware of OOMA but have not used it yet.

1>We have an alarm system. (Not sure if we will in TV)
2> Has anyone used to fax? Not that I do so much but you never know ie to send infor to a DR....

We also use google voice so you can join your cell and ooma number. I have it set for work as well but that won't be an issue soon!

Lastly, setup a gmail e-mail account. Let's you call in the US (not sureabout Canada) over your internet for free. Great to use for those 800 phone calls.... You cannot get calls but you can use your cell for incoming....
Fax works fine for me (just have to *99 first) but I've heard some had problems with it. I had a problem with an old Panasonic Replay DVR. It dialed out every night to get the updated schedule. It was only a backup unit for me anyway so I never did get it working.

Ooma has extensions to integrate with Google Voice. Also has some of the same features as GV. For example, I have it set to email Voice messages (mp3s) to both my wife and myself. That way I can get messages on my Cell or Computer. That works well for me, since the Ooma is buried in the Den and not readily accessible.

Ooma has bulk rates for International calls. It's one cent/min to call Canada.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:58 PM

I checked out the website and the reviews. If you have two homes, I assume you can take the unit to either home and use it. Has anyone done that?
Old 04-15-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misky View Post
I checked out the website and the reviews. If you have two homes, I assume you can take the unit to either home and use it. Has anyone done that?
No problem. You can use Ooma anywhere there's a broadband connection. If you port your current number, you'll be able to take it with you, anywhere in the U.S.
http://www.ooma.com/support/knowledg...move-or-travel

If you pay a bit more for premium service, you can get a second number. One number in TV, another for friends in your hometown. Works great.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:41 PM

We use Ooma in both our homes, when we are up north it still uses our Florida phone number. Great system for on $3.47 a month!!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Veteran member

I installed Ooma in TV and love it. The call quality is every bit as good as Comcast and at $3.47, the value is great. Will probably keep the Ooma premier at $9.95 when the trial period is up. Cheap enough for all the extras.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misky View Post
I've been using Ooma for 1 1/2+ years. I ported my Ohio number and have a Florida number for when I'm at my TV home. I take the box with me and plug it in. You need to get on the internet and enter your new address for 911 calls. My box quit working once and Ooma overnighted one to me with a prepaid return slip. Works well. No complaints.

Bob
Old 06-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Veteran member
Default OOma in Canada

If I sign up with ooma when I am in the US, then could I not bring it back to Canada and use it here? Does anyone know how that might look and what it might cost. Currently I use Skype and wondered if it was better than that. Thanks.

LW888
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.