Opening up a Large closet - Need recommendations for Handyman/Finishing Carpenter

Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2019, 11:25 AM
Veteran member
Default Opening up a Large closet - Need recommendations for Handyman/Finishing Carpenter

We have large long closets in our house with 6' BiFold door, but there are 32" dead space on each end that is very hard to access. We would like to open up the wall on each end of the BiFold door and either put in a larger BiFold door or build a small wall (24"+) in the center (Which will be more accessible than at the end) and move the doors on each side of the center wall.

Any other suggestions on how to enlarge the closet opening and a handyman that would do something like this.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
We have large long closets in our house with 6' BiFold door, but there are 32" dead space on each end that is very hard to access. We would like to open up the wall on each end of the BiFold door and either put in a larger BiFold door or build a small wall (24"+) in the center (Which will be more accessible than at the end) and move the doors on each side of the center wall.

Any other suggestions on how to enlarge the closet opening and a handyman that would do something like this.
Aloha Larry a Village Resident (search Aloha Larry in this Website for recommendations)
Larry's phone is *(561) 239-0797‬ and his email is <alohalarrythevillages@gmail.com>.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
Aloha Larry a Village Resident (search Aloha Larry in this Website for recommendations)
Larry's phone is *(561) 239-0797‬ and his email is <alohalarrythevillages@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the recommendation, we have been searching for someone to replace our patio slider for some time and it seems the job is too small for all the contractors we have contacted. We have gotten quotes for between $4.5 and $5.5 K for a job that would take a decent handyman 1/2 day to do. The slider we want can be purchased from the home depot for $1,600. I have no problem paying someone about $600 for such a simple project, but when contractors want about $3,000 for an easy job that someone handy can do in a half a day, well that just won't work for us. I wish my tools were in the Villages and not up north, and I had more free time, I would have already replaced it myself. I will call your recommended handyman tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Thanks for the recommendation, we have been searching for someone to replace our patio slider for some time and it seems the job is too small for all the contractors we have contacted. We have gotten quotes for between $4.5 and $5.5 K for a job that would take a decent handyman 1/2 day to do. The slider we want can be purchased from the home depot for $1,600. I have no problem paying someone about $600 for such a simple project, but when contractors want about $3,000 for an easy job that someone handy can do in a half a day, well that just won't work for us. I wish my tools were in the Villages and not up north, and I had more free time, I would have already replaced it myself. I will call your recommended handyman tomorrow.
Unless the tracks are exactly the same, and the required distance between tracks (vertical) is exactly the same, as well as the horizontal opening, this may not be as simple as you think, and this may be why you are having trouble getting a reasonable price. A neighbor just had the exact same experience getting quotes in the same range you did. The decided to leave the sliders and did something else for the effect they wanted.
While I have done my own home repairs for decades I would not tackle this without thoroughly checking all dimensions. I would be very surprised if the existing tracks could be used there are too many variables between manufacturers.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:43 AM
Sage

And the fastening system has to be within the specs outlined in the Hurricane code. You can't just screw it to the wall.

Tags
door, bifold, end, wall, opening

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.