Opinion on Vinyl Plank Flooring?

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2019, 01:23 PM
Default Opinion on Vinyl Plank Flooring?

Would appreciate hearing opinions/reviews from people who have had vinyl plank flooring in their home for a year or more.

Also, is there any reason why a home with vinyl plank flooring would be any less desirable to a potential buyer than laminate flooring?

Any other pros or cons of vinyl plank flooring?

Thank you.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:36 PM
Default Vinyl Plank Flooring

We ripped up the carpets throughout our brand new home 2 years ago, before we even moved in. Installed Cortec Luxury Vinyl Plank and couldn't be happier. So easy to keep clean, and very durable. I can drag heavy furniture across it, without fear of scratching. For those who own a pet, it's the best option!
Old 03-28-2019, 03:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

I do like the look of planks, but when we were looking at some new homes in Fenney the floors with vinyl were so wavy, I could never buy the house. When we replaced our carpet we had highs and lows in the concrete. We went with hand scraped tile, installation was adjusted with the various dips in the floor. Very happy with the tile.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:03 PM

Should use a self-leveling cement product if the floors are not level. Unlevel concrete floors are just an example of lazy construction.
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 03-28-2019, 04:08 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh
Default Vinyl plank

Have vinyl plank as well as laminate and prefer the vinyl plank. Not as noisy as the laminate
Old 03-28-2019, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We rented a house with vinyl plank and really liked it. We bought a house with Mannington laminate and love that too. You do hear people and dog walking across the floor, but you could hear that on the vinyl as well, just a bit quieter. I would be happy with either. With vinyl you can get a lighter color. With our laminate (sawmill hickory), I thought the house would seem dark (we bought it sight unseen), but it's situated NW to SW with a sun tube in the kitchen, and it's not dark at all.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:13 PM

We added Armstrong luxury vinyl plank to our home in every room including baths and laundry. It’s been over three years and we love it.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Our Home, a Manufactured Home came with Vinyl Plank flooring and they replaced the entire Sub Floor first. They did all the repairs, first class. The quality is fantastic and it is a wood grain so it fooled two people who built homes in the New England area their entire lives. They thought it was wood. Ha, go figure. I would love to know what it cost them but I never did find out.

Those imperfections in the slab that was mentioned are caused not only by speed or carelessness but pouring a slab in the heat of summer is murder on the material and the finest craftsman couldn't prevent those dips, impossible. So its a Spin the Wheel of chance as to why the low spots but glad to hear you overcame the problem.

Vinyl Plank Four Thumbs Up and my wife isn't impressed easily. Go for it!
Old 03-28-2019, 06:12 PM

We have cortec, the good thing with this product it is water proof, looks good, natural looking grain

A is for effort, success is earned
Old 03-28-2019, 07:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,376 Times in 3,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Our Home, a Manufactured Home came with Vinyl Plank flooring and they replaced the entire Sub Floor first. They did all the repairs, first class. The quality is fantastic and it is a wood grain so it fooled two people who built homes in the New England area their entire lives. They thought it was wood. Ha, go figure. I would love to know what it cost them but I never did find out.

Those imperfections in the slab that was mentioned are caused not only by speed or carelessness but pouring a slab in the heat of summer is murder on the material and the finest craftsman couldn't prevent those dips, impossible. So its a Spin the Wheel of chance as to why the low spots but glad to hear you overcame the problem.

Vinyl Plank Four Thumbs Up and my wife isn't impressed easily. Go for it!
Our "new" manufactured home comes with vinyl planks too, in a really pretty greyish-brown wood-grain. Possibly made to look like bamboo or a dark ashwood. I knew it was "fake" and not real wood, but I had assumed it was laminate. I didn't know such a thing as vinyl planks existed (I grew up in a maple, oak, and wall-to-wall carpeting neighborhood). Really lovely, and I can't wait to test out the "you can't scratch this" theory!
Old 05-28-2019, 10:16 PM

I have not had any experience with the vinyl plank but like you, am looking, considering. So far I have not understood the difference in "LUXURY" vinyl plank, and vinyl plank. Does "luxury" simply denote price, or is there an actual difference, such as one dents, one does not, one will scratch the color and pattern off, the other will not ? Anyone know ? Unlike most Floridians, I am partial to carpeting. Obviously I have no children in my home, and I do not have a pet, so carpeting in my home actually still looks new but is actually very old. Has anyone every priced an apples to apples comparison of vinyl plank, for instance a 16X20 room of carpet to vinyl plank ? So far I have been told not only does the carpet cost by the square FOOT, not yard as in times past, but that padding, installation, new tack strip, stretching, etc. etc. are going to be quite expensive compared to vinyl plank which, I was told, was a very easy installation process, easy to cut, easy to even take the material to the site, and, had very little waste due to the size of the "planks/strips compared to needing 100 Sq. yd. of carpet when only 80 are actually used. But, due to cut outs and the fact that you must pay installation and padding for the amount of material ORDERED, not on the amount actually needed for your room/rooms, it make for a really a tough decision. Again I really value the "warmth" (don't mean actual temperature, just the inviting environment provided by carpet, less "commercial" looking, and I definitely value the quiet. Yet, the price is very high. I also noticed almost everyone who does change to a hard floor through out the house ends up spending quite a bit on area rugs in large sizes like 12X14 (much more expensive than simple 7.5X9.5 ones available in most stores) and yet (are you all laughing at my indecision ?) I suspect the regular cleaning of these rugs is a major expense and not nearly as easy as a simple pass with the Bissel steamer ? I'm going to keep logging in to see how others have adapted to the lack of sound absorption, and how quickly they were able to adapt to a little less soft and more commercial look than (possibly) they had in their homes before they retired here ?

Last edited by Ladygolfer93; 05-28-2019 at 10:24 PM. Reason: left out some words
Old 05-29-2019, 06:12 AM

We currently live on a crawl space (not in TV). We have relatives n FL who live on a slab with terrazzo floor. The hard floor hurts our feet. We end up wearing shoes when we visit and we prefer to be barefoot in the house.

Anyone else have sensitive feet? Is the vinyl planking with a good pad soft?
Old 05-29-2019, 02:07 PM
Veteran member

We have luxury vinyl plank and like it very much. It is not as soft as a rug of course but is softer on the feet than tile or concrete. Ours was put in by Nickle Tile in Lake Sumter. We've used them a number of times. They do a good job and are reliable.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:42 AM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh
Default Vinyl plank

We have vinyl plank and laminate through out and have no regrets. No matter how much you vacuum carpets they retain dirt and cause dust. Vinyl plank is a lot cleaner and is easier to maintain
Old 05-30-2019, 09:07 PM

We put it in because we had a dog who piddle on the carpet. 32 times! She did on the vinyl twice and then figured out she had to use her doggie door. We love it.
Closed Thread

Tags
flooring, vinyl, plank, home, desirable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.