Opinions requested on window tinting on glassed in lanai for privacy, please

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2020, 06:19 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty6971 View Post
I am guessing the tinting is applied to the inside of the glass to prevent damage from storms, flying birds, squirrels that climb the screens, etc. Am I correct? Does the tinting material hold up well to normal cleaning? Obviously asking the contractors is good for getting answers but getting answers from people that are living with the product can achieve more realistic data points.
Yes, tints are applied on the inside, just like on a car. Depending on the type of tint, there are diff ways to clean it. Some dont stand up to window cleaning products and just water is used etc. The tinter will tell you
Old 06-29-2020, 06:29 AM

We just bought a place with it on the big windows facing south. It’s now flaking off like dandruff.
I have no idea how long it’s been there. I’d guess about 8 years.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:03 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts
Default Privacy

Tint is great to keep some sunlight out during the day neighbors can not see in at night it works the opposite you will be like fish in a bowl
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpepper View Post
During daylight it is difficult to see in unless you are face to the glass. I didn't measure the heat difference but ours was uncomfortable in the late afternoon (west facing) now it is very comfortable. It is the most used room in our house. We have double pane low e glass. We were told that there would be no damage to the glass.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
Would appreciate insight from folks who have added window tinting on lanai to help with privacy. Were you expectations met, did it damage the windows, help with heat?

Thanks.

We have tinted all the windows in two houses with 3M Night Vision 35. This version reduces reflection and glare from the inside of your house looking out at nighttime. We installed it for privacy and for UV protection for furniture, etc.

During the day, I would put the privacy factor at about 99%. It is very difficult to see in. Looking out, the windows do not appear to be heavily tinted, which is what we wanted so as to not destroy our view. I have not paid any attention to our utility bills.

This product carries a lifetime warranty.

Last edited by toeser; 06-29-2020 at 08:12 AM. Reason: more information
Old 06-29-2020, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Better get pre-approval from The Villages before you contract for any window treatment. I recall reading that any reflective treatment has been ruled unacceptable and will have to be removed.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:49 AM

Solar guys did our window tinting and yes on the inside and yes it holds up well to washing and sun. We got it for sun which is somewhat better and also privacy which works very well during the day and have blinds at nite. Have had it now for 8 years and
still like new.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:29 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
Great input.......and getting good information. KALOS (352-243-7088) installed our split Mitsubishi on Friday and wow, can't say enough about how great their service was and that we are loving the efficiency of the unit; highly recommend the installer and most important, unit. On to the picture windows next! Please continue to share your experiences with window film.
We have had our Mitsubishi for at least six years, maybe more. Absolutely love it. We have a tinted windows also and they do the job was here are designed for.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:33 AM

We just moved in and all of our windows have a brownish tint on them. It’s so dark inside, even with the solar tubes. We’re wondering if it can be removed. Anybody else have this problem?
Old 06-29-2020, 09:49 AM
Gold member

Appreciate the feedback. I called picture window installer. Our type, double pane, low E, can't be filmed our warranty is null and void if we did film windows.
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, privacy, tinting, window, heat

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.