Over The Air TV Antenna

Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2020, 11:53 AM
Default Over The Air TV Antenna

I just ordered an over the air tv antenna and was wondering if anyone knows of a person or company that would be good to install the antenna?
Old 05-23-2020, 12:10 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTarter View Post
I just ordered an over the air tv antenna and was wondering if anyone knows of a person or company that would be good to install the antenna?
Just ask a neighbor. I'm sure they will be ecstatic to see an old-style antenna in the vicinity.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

IMHO, try this first. You will need an amplifier if the antenna is not equipped with one, you may need one even if it is equipped. I took a piece of pipe and a step ladder, setup the antenna to a TV, and pointed to Orlando (~50 miles). I could OCCASIONALLY get all 65 channels, most of the time a lot less, and occasionally NONE. Then I moved it to the other side of the house and pointed to Ocala (`20 miles), I can typically get 10 channels most of the time. My point is we are not in a good location for OTA reception. I had to give up on Orlando unless I put up a fairly tall tower, which i did not want to do. Tom is probably the best guy to get, but I was suggesting these experiments before you call Tom. Also, all of my tests were OUTSIDE, I did try inside the attic with even less success. I hope you are in a better reception area than me.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

This is Tom at Villages AV, he's the guy that can install it for you.

Villages AV

These past threads may help you.

Antenna ? Which one are people using ?

Hd antenna
Old 05-24-2020, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

Most of the stations come from Melbourne, so you should point the antenna that way. A cheap antenna will get you a few channels, like the old saying goes ... you get what you pay for.
There is a good YouTube channel called The Antenna Man. He will give you good advice.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Most of the stations come from Melbourne, so you should point the antenna that way. A cheap antenna will get you a few channels, like the old saying goes ... you get what you pay for.
There is a good YouTube channel called The Antenna Man. He will give you good advice.
You should check out those two links I provided above about past threads where this subject has been discussed in depth. I installed this antenna from Amazon inside my attic in Tamarind Grove near Sterling Hgts Rec Center. It was only $27 with free shipping three years ago and I get 50 channels from Orlando. I don't get Channel 2 NBC, most people have to add a second antenna to get them since they are located in a different spot.

After installing the antenna I got Tom from Villages AV to help set it up, he had a program on his phone that will tell you exactly where to aim, mine was 118 degrees. I only use this set up for my guest bedroom, I've got Directv for my main TVs.

The Villages Florida
Old 05-24-2020, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,036 Times in 2,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
This is Tom at Villages AV, he's the guy that can install it for you.

Villages AV

These past threads may help you.

Antenna ? Which one are people using ?

Hd antenna
We used Tom and very much like our free over the air TV. The only problem with over the air TV is that it doesn’t work well in bad weather, when you want TV the most.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Just ask a neighbor. I'm sure they will be ecstatic to see an old-style antenna in the vicinity.

I agree

neighbor has one....it only reaches his rain gutter and is on the opposite of his home from us....he brags about everything he does...hasn't bragged about this though
Old 05-25-2020, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

I don’t watch much tv and never ever in the daytime ( just music) except pro football but at night I want to watch what I want when I want, tv is one of life’s little pleasures and I’ve heard that there are packages as low as $50!so I don’t get the concept of so called free tv I’ll go on taping news, sports and shows and watch them at my leisure and spend less time in the attic trying to find an Orlando tv station
Old 05-26-2020, 09:17 AM
Veteran member

We got loads of channels and had a guy from the flea market install it on the side of our home. A year later the wind blew it away so we put one in the attic. It was less than thrilling so we just continued with Directv.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

A wise choice lol
Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, air, good, company, person

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.