Painting Exterior of Stucco Home

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2019, 08:22 PM
Default Painting Exterior of Stucco Home

We are starting to obtain quotes from known Painters in the Villages. So far the prices are similar and the paint used is known.

What we are wondering is how detailed should we be with the contract itself. (i.e.) Warranty - What should it read?
Has anybody encountered problems and how much time has elapsed since being painted?
What other caveats should we look for and wording to cover ourselves?
We have had many jobs done in/around our home but have no experience with the aspects of painting stucco.
The proposals so far seem fairly cut and dry and are understood by us.

Just would like some guidance from people who have had their homes painted in the last three years and up. What do you wish you would have done different?

Thank You

Last edited by Dynsol; 12-16-2019 at 08:24 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 12-16-2019, 09:29 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Both my brother and I had our houses painted last year by Steve Kling - > 352-750-0426 I was and still am very pleased by his work.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Contract Painters very professional.
Ontime.
Competitively priced.
Take every precaution to not get paint on anything around the house.
Have them use Sherwin Williams top house paint and there is a combination difficult to beat.
They stand by their work!!
Old 12-17-2019, 07:40 AM

Omar painting very good
Old 12-17-2019, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Both my brother and I had our houses painted last year by Steve Kling - > 352-750-0426 I was and still am very pleased by his work.

great Choice !
Steve and his professional crew did ours last Feb extremely happy with the results .So were our neighbors they had their house done shortly after
Old 12-17-2019, 08:54 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Anchor Coatings did a lot of houses in our neighborhood. We didn't pay to job was complete and everything cleaned up.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:08 AM
Veteran member

Investment Painters painted inside, outside of both our homes over the last several years.

They painted our lanai/pool area yesterday.

What we like is that Chris has had the same team for last couple of years. Eric is the team leader and is truly a professional.

Investment Painters tel:352 4467334
Old 12-17-2019, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

In 2017 my CYV community, Southern Star Villas received approval thought a petition to be allowed to change the original colors of our homes. We had 21 colors along with a trim and front door colors pre-selected to choose from.

Of the 80 CYV's, so far 34 have repainted their home. Two did it themselves, my neighbor was one. He used 10 gallons of Sherwin Williams paint at about $80 a gallon. He took about two weeks working a little every day.

31 others used Oscar's, myself included and one used Steve Kling. Our villas were 8 years old and the pale yellow color was starting to fade, also there were a few hairline cracks in the stucco. Along with the ability to change to a new color, I decided to have it done after receiving ARC approval.

Oscar sent a power washing crew to my home and washed all the exterior about 3 days beforehand. The rain gutters and facsia looked like new afterwards. Then three days later a crew of two and eventually 4 arrived about 8:30 in the morning. They removed all the downspouts, sealed any cracks, and rolled on two coats of Sherwood Williams paint and were done by 4pm. They even painted the ceiling on the front porch and lanai. I would definitely use Oscar again. Eight years ago I used Investment Painters inside my home and they were just as professional.

The Villages Florida

Before, this was taken in 2013 when the home was two years old and just had new landscaping

The Villages Florida

This was taken in September after Oscar repainted and Terrascape refreshed the landscaping

The Villages Florida

Last edited by John_W; 12-17-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Is anyone going to respond to the questions?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-17-2019, 11:03 AM
Veteran member

Steve kling for sure. Outstanding work, clean, though, good products. My house looks like new. I am no saying the others mentioned are not good, i am only speaking from my experience last year. Call him and he will come out and explain alll his work, warranties, products.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:44 PM

Thank you all for your responses. However, Can someone please respond to my Question. I have read and Re-read all of the well known painters.

BUT, just looking for response as to how the contract should read and issues that may occur.

Thank You

Dynsol
Old 12-17-2019, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,686 Times in 5,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynsol View Post
Thank you all for your responses. However, Can someone please respond to my Question. I have read and Re-read all of the well known painters.

BUT, just looking for response as to how the contract should read and issues that may occur.

Thank You

Dynsol
I think the most important thing in the contract is that you don't pay for the work until it is completed and you are satisfied. You may need to agree to buy the paint, but, if you do, I would insist on paying for it with a credit card, and not until you have possession of the paint. The painter will probably provide some type of warranty, but, in my opinion, it won't be worth very much to you. You may also want to include a time frame for completing the job. Other than that, I don't think what you put in writing will have much value.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:37 PM
Platinum member

Steve Kling works with Sherwin Williams. Sherwin Williams comes the next day to inspect the job and guarantee it.
Steve also noticed we had a cracked piece of brick mold around our door. He replaced the brick mold and the gaskets around our front door no extra charge.
Very happy with this company. It's been 2 years since we had it done.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
Steve Kling works with Sherwin Williams. Sherwin Williams comes the next day to inspect the job and guarantee it.
Steve also noticed we had a cracked piece of brick mold around our door. He replaced the brick mold and the gaskets around our front door no extra charge.
Very happy with this company. It's been 2 years since we had it done.
Now can you answer the questions that were asked?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-18-2019, 07:36 AM
Default House Painting Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynsol View Post

Thank You

Dynsol
The contract should clearly state the cost, when payment is to be made and how payment can be made. Sometimes contractors do not want to accept credit cards or charge more if credit card is used. Contract should also clearly state the warranty period and what the warranty covers.
The work to be done in detail, the time to do the work and the start and end date for the work completion. If you have any significant landscaping and/or yard art make sure any damage to these are covered by the warranty if they are damaged by the contractor's employees.
Generally, it is highly recommended NOT to pay up front and if you can negotiate it a penalty clause should be included if the work is not completed within the proposed time frame.
Closed Thread

Tags
painted, painting, stucco, home, in/around

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.