painting grout

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2018, 07:22 AM
Default painting grout

Has anyone ever had their grout painted and do you have recommendations. We had tile installed in our living area and the grout doesn't match the old grout, so i would like to have the old one colored. I know Lowes sells a kit but would rather have pros.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:00 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

I would call The Floor Shoppe on 301 just south of 466. They have done work for us on several occasions and are very good at what they do.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

OP, if you want to do this yourself, I highly recommend Grout Shield Grout Shield | Grout Restoration System | Grout Cleaner, they can match the color of your existing grout. I cleaned and did all of the grout in our house, and the color match was so good that I had 3 areas where I missed putting the "paint" on the grout, and only found it when I was doing the clean up, the uncoated areas turned dark when wet. The kit is below $100.
If you call home warranty, you can get the name of the original grout color, as an alternative, I think there are color charts at Home Depot and Lowes, then just give grout shield the name and they custom mix to match.

Send me a PM if you want more info.

Last edited by villagetinker; 09-17-2018 at 09:23 AM. Reason: added info
Old 09-17-2018, 03:53 PM
Veteran member

I painted the grout myself in both our bathrooms. Went to Lowes, bought standard latex paint. Did this about 5 years ago and it still looks as good as it did day one. Easy job, but tedious. If you get paint on the tile, it will scrape off easily. In fact, I would sloppily paint the grout line to make sure it was well covered. Waited about three minutes for the paint to soak into the grout, then wiped it off the tiles. I did clean the tiles and grout really well before I started painting using dishwasher powder soap and vinegar. And, I did not seal the grout when the job was done. The latex paint does a good job with that. Good luck!
Old 09-18-2018, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

The process stated above by Villager is almost identical to that used for Grout Shield, I figured out a few better methods, like using a squeegee to remove the excess 'paint', works much better than a sponge or cloth.

Tags
grout, colored, lowes, pros, kit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.