Paper Shredder repair

Closed Thread
Old 08-05-2019, 09:41 AM
Default Paper Shredder repair

Know anyone who repairs paper shredders?
Old 08-05-2019, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

Have you tried to clean it out? If not, uplug it, turn it upside down and use a sharp tool and needle nosed pliers to remove any paper that you see. Most shredders that stop working are just clogged. But, finding someone to repair it may be difficult and probably not worth the repair cost.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:18 PM

Paper shredders have come down drastically in price.
If the "Retired Guy's" post (above) doesn't fix your problem, my recommendation is to forget about your current shredder and buy a new one.
They don't last forever.

And by the way -- they need to be oiled periodically (3-in-1 oil will do the trick).
Old 08-05-2019, 01:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Paper shredders don't get repaired. If they're overheated, unplug them, and while it's unplugged unclog any extra paper or errant staples or paper clips stuck in the gears. Wait at least 20 minutes before plugging it back in.

If the motor is burned out, it won't work after you do the above, and you'll have to buy a new one.

Going forward:

Never shred the max # of pages that the machine's documentation claims it can handle. If it's a 12-page shredder, never shred more than 10 pages at a time.

Remove ALL paper clips and staples from the pages before stuffing them through the machine.

If it doesn't specify that it can handle credit cards, don't put credit cards or ANY other plastic through the gears.

Use either special shredder oil sheets, or a few drops of machinist oil, once a month, whether you use the shredder regularly or not. If you have a "shredder day" when you do a LOT of shredding (hundreds of pages that day), then oil it that morning, before going on the shredding spree - in addition to your regular monthly oiling.

Never shred anything thicker than oaktag, UNLESS it is a credit card or laminated ID card that the shredder's documentation specifies it can handle. And then, only one at a time.

Pause between shredding every 10 minutes, for at least 2 minutes, to let the motor cool down.

Do all the above, and you should easily get 5 years or more out of your shredder.

Miss any of the above, and it'll be hit or miss. It might last 10 years, or it might break in a month.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta Heuchert View Post
Know anyone who repairs paper shredders?
All of the above were good, if you still want someone to look at the shredder, I can do that, and I have equipment to determine if the motor is burnt out. Before you contact me, check to see if there is thermal reset button on the unit, and make sure the unit is seated correctly, so the interlock to the base is engaged. If you are still interested, send me a PM (private message) with you contact info, and I can give you a call.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.