PCBs and AC capacitors: did PCB's screw us out of reliable capacitors?

Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2017, 08:09 AM
Sage
Default PCBs and AC capacitors: did PCB's screw us out of reliable capacitors?

Hello TOTVers,

Thanks to all for making this an engaging and productive site.

In an earlier post I paid $314 to A Well Known AC Servcie to get (basically) a capacitor changed. The feedback is that the going rate is $130.

In the process it seems that's lots of folks are familiar with the AC's capacitor issue -- "happens all the time".

Then someone (I'll research more thoroughly when "I get a round tuit") -- then a TOTVer said capacitors used to be made with PCBs and were life-time reliable.

Did PCB "over-reaction" screw us out of reliable capacitors, and hence reliable AC?

Last edited by Bog99; 08-18-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog99 View Post

Hello TOTVers,

In an earlier post I paid $314 to Munn's to get (basically) a capacitor changed. The feedback is that the going rate is $130.

In the process it seems that's lots of folks are familiar with the AC's capacitor issue -- "happens all the time".

Then someone (I'll research more thoroughly when "I get a round tuit") -- then a TOTVer said capacitors used to be made with PCBs and were life-time reliable.

Did PCB "over-reaction" screw us out of reliable capacitors, and hence reliable AC?

This is the typical Carrier OEM capacitor used.
The Villages Florida

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2017, 09:19 AM
Gold member
Default I'm not defenidng munns but

Quote:

Hello TOTVers,

In an earlier post I paid $314 to Munn's to get (basically) a capacitor changed. The feedback is that the going rate is $130.

Just as with a doctor, when you call for a repair you are paying for not just the cost of parts but the expertise to find the problem.

RE: Replacing AC capacitor
You may want to look it up on the internet. You AC starts under load. The capacitor supplies extra current to the motors so that they can push the non-moving load. Done wrong you can severely hurt yourself or even kill yourself. MY EXPERIENCE-I used to sell photographic flash units.
Simply stated, you step up the voltage to 500V or more, store it in capacitors and then allow this power to go through the flash tube creating the burst of light. I know that someone was kill by a small flash unit (GN28) that shorted out and sent the current through their brain. Another guy IN FLORIDA took a studio strobe (more powerful flash) that he had repaired himself with DUCT TAPE and???? That one shorted out on his wet grass.
The case was dismissed due to his INCOMPETENCE.

RE: PCBs
I think the question is oil filled capacitors. It is true that they do last longer. In the end it doesn't matter as due to pollution controls they are no longer sold. Were you to find one and it would fit your AC, it was made about 40 years ago.

RE: Claimed excessive bill.
You should look at your bill and see if anything else was done besides the capacitor. Then, I would call MUNNS.
I would get a copy of a bill from another person who had the same repair done at $130 and if you get no satisfaction from MUNNs-TAKE THEM TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT.

I have nothing to do with MUNNs. From what I THINK? I know, all of the AC capacitors are now made in CHINA. Yet, another item where people have chosen price over QUALITY.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

Hello TOTVers,

If I read it correctly, it was $130 plus parts. May nit make much difference, but compare apples to apples.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:08 PM
Gold member
Default Assuming this revised post is correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
If I read it correctly, it was $130 plus parts. May nit make much difference, but compare apples to apples.
Someone else posted an AMAZON ad that showed the capacitor at 19.95. If, you buy from Amazon you will pay TAX so cost is 21.34. If, you have not PAID to be a PRIME MEMBER or it is not a PRIME ITEM, you many need to pay shipping AND WAIT FOR IT TO ARRIVE. As I've said previously, I have nothing to do with any AC people BUT....

With parts it is normal practice for the repair people to double the price you can buy parts from Home Depo or Amazon. So now you are at 130+19.95x2call it $40.so
$170.

WHY DON'T YOU PULL THE BILL FROM MUNN AND CALL THEM TO EXPLAIN ANYTHING YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND OR THINK IS INCORRECT OR UNFAIR ETC

I always try to treat people as I would want to be treated.
YOU have chosen to accuse someone IN A PUBLIC FORUM of being DISHONORABLE. Like every one else, I've had people TRY TO STEAL FROM ME. I always give them a chance to correct the problem. IF THEY FAIL I GO AFTER THEM WITH A VENGEANCE.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
Someone else posted an AMAZON ad that showed the capacitor at 19.95. If, you buy from Amazon you will pay TAX so cost is 21.34. If, you have not PAID to be a PRIME MEMBER or it is not a PRIME ITEM, you many need to pay shipping AND WAIT FOR IT TO ARRIVE. As I've said previously, I have nothing to do with any AC people BUT....

With parts it is normal practice for the repair people to double the price you can buy parts from Home Depo or Amazon. So now you are at 130+19.95x2call it $40.so
$170.

WHY DON'T YOU PULL THE BILL FROM MUNN AND CALL THEM TO EXPLAIN ANYTHING YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND OR THINK IS INCORRECT OR UNFAIR ETC

I always try to treat people as I would want to be treated.
YOU have chosen to accuse someone IN A PUBLIC FORUM of being DISHONORABLE. Like every one else, I've had people TRY TO STEAL FROM ME. I always give them a chance to correct the problem. IF THEY FAIL I GO AFTER THEM WITH A VENGEANCE.
I don't think I accused anyone of being dishonorable. Did I?
Old 08-17-2017, 01:19 PM
Gold member
Default That is the way it reads to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
I don't think I accused anyone of being dishonorable. Did I?
You post going rat 130 MUNN billed me 314.
It reads to me MUNN is a liar a thief and a crook.

ASK OTHERS HOW THEY READ WHAT YOU HAVE POSTED
Old 08-17-2017, 01:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

Not my thread or post. Go back and see who said what.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I posted on the other thread, but I wasn't with the majority paying $130, I paid $80, but it was actually $85 since I now have my invoice in front of me. Regardless of the price wholesale, retail, Amazon, you shouldn't of paid anything for the part if the unit is less than 10 years old. How come a third party like Chuck Farrell knows that the part is under 10 year warranty but Munn's who installed the unit charged you for the part.

I didn't call Munn's because I was buying my filters from Amazon, last time was 3 for $35 plus $10 shipping. I asked my neighbor how much he paid for filters, he said he called Munn's and they looked at his unit and replaced the filter and charged him $150. I thought that seemed high, and that I would call Chuck Farrell since he had so many great reviews on this website and that is going back years.

The tech opened the inside unit and checked around and brushed off the coils. He then went outside and looked at the that unit and checked the freon and eventually said it's the capacitor. He replaced it and wrote on the invoice date 6-17-2015 "replaced blown/swelled capacitor 40/5 UF covered by warranty 10 years" and the charge was $85 labor.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Back to the PCB question, I worked in the electric utility industry for over 40 years, and the transformer and capacitor manufacturers provided suitable replacement fluids for oil filled capacitors. If a recall correctly, the main advantage of the PCB fluids was fire resistance, I do not recall the fire resistance of the newer fluids. In any case if you really want oil filled caps, they are available, but there are better alternatives that have no oil. When ours failed, the repairman made a comment about ours being the FIFTH one that day, and that there must have been a bad batch.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:19 PM
Default PCBs and AC cap's

Would someone not think to consider...
this is high electrical storm season !!!
Power surge from lighting storms are a nightmare on electrical equipment.Having worked in the communications industry for over 40 tears and being trained on proper grounding and power surge of sensitive equipment .... It has been my observation that no one can be protected from "acts of God" note ! the weather. We are lucky to have fewer storms this year than some in the past. Sorry,it happens !!! yes ,I've replaced mine in the past,also
Just think of it as a cost of keeping your cool ! Thanks
Old 08-17-2017, 06:12 PM
Gold member

Quote:

It reads to me that Munn's charge was excessive.
It might not be Munn's general policy to do this,
but possibly it could be an individual service person
generating more income.
It happens quite frequently in many service industries.
I personally don't think anyone was called a crook,
but there seems to have been some creative invoicing.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

In an earlier post I paid $314 to Munn's to get (basically) a capacitor changed. That leaves room for interpretation. Perhaps they did some other work and didn't document it properly. Just saying.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
In an earlier post I paid $314 to Munn's to get (basically) a capacitor changed. That leaves room for interpretation. Perhaps they did some other work and didn't document it properly. Just saying.
If they didn't list the other work, then most people
would reasonably assume it wasn't done!
Old 08-17-2017, 09:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post
If they didn't list the other work, then most people
would reasonably assume it wasn't done!
Maybe I misunderstood but the op said "basically" which leads me to think that other work was done and not listed or explained properly. What does the word basically mean on a bill? Any answer is purely a guess. I have not done business with this company but I thought they were held in high regard.

Maybe it is more money if it is a Flux Capacitor that was replaced!
Closed Thread

Tags
reliable, capacitors, pcbs, capacitor, screw

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.