Pet Prescriptions Savings

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2007, 07:53 AM
Platinum member
Default Pet Prescriptions Savings

As pet owners go many people take better care of their animals than themselves with numerous visits to the veterinarian. If your pet is on medication (Flea control or whatever) your vet may match the advertised web sites. I use EntirelyPets.Com , search for the medication and print out what's needed. I then take the print out to the vet where the vet technician charges me the i-net advertised price. Such as Prednisone normal vet price is $.30 ea tablet and the web site is $.18 ea. Now if I could just figure out how to get Scarlet (Irish Setter) on our co-pay....... ??? : :dontknow:

Steve
Old 08-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Platinum member
Default Re: Pet Prescriptions Savings

I've been using this company for a number of years. http://www.vetshoponline.com/index.cfm
It is in Australia, and in Australia one doesn't need an RX for heart worm meds etc. We use Revolution on our dogs. It is both a heart worm preventative and flea preventative. Check out their prices. My order usually arrives within a week.
Vetshoponline has the best prices I've found. Barb
Tampa, FL
Old 08-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Sage

Avista .. do you need heartworm pills year round for dogs in Florida?
Old 08-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Platinum member

Absolutely YES!
Tampa, FL
Old 08-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Veteran member

I don't believe in buying medicine for pets over the net. I am afraid of counterfeit drugs and love our baby too much to take a chance on not getting the full prescription. We get all our medicine from the Vet and I feel safer that way.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:00 AM
Platinum member

You have to do what you feel is best. My little ones are 10 lb and 15 lb. This is what my vet perscribed. I just get it online. If it weren't the correct medication, we would have seen a flea by now.--Haven't seen one. I have the blood check done for heart worms each year. These tests have always been neg. The vets probably get their medication online and sell to us. What I get is Pfizer packaged. That being said, we all must take care of our "babies". Barb
Tampa, FL
Old 09-19-2007, 09:54 PM
Sage

Avista - if your babies are on Revolution all year long, why do you have to have blood tests?

Our Vet has informed us Florida is the epicentre of heartworm and it is extremely common. In Canada, our boys are only on heartworm for the six months in the summer. To ensure they didn't catch heartworm when not on the Revolution, they have to have blood tests once every two years. I'n Florida if they are always on Revolution, and if there is no chance of ever catching heartworm, why would they need blood tests?

Also, what Vet do you use? I would like to add the name of a good Vet to our Village telephone diary. Our oldest boy has had operations on both knees. Until recently we had two horses, two cats and two dogs. We have already put the five children of our existing Vet through University. ;D
Old 09-20-2007, 06:12 AM
Platinum member

My dogs have always had a blood test for heartworm each year. My vets have always suggested it. As far as vets go, I use Banfield connected with Petsmart. I was using them prior to moving to The Villages, and now use the one in Ocala--near I75--first turnoff going N.

The reason I started with them is they have a program where one pays a fee each month. This covers all vaccines, if you want your dog checked for something, it is included, and my dog is one the program that includes teeth cleaning. I've been pleased with their vets, and it is easier on my budget to do it this way.
Tampa, FL
Old 09-20-2007, 07:25 AM
Platinum member

Our vet performs an annual wellness exam including blood work. Tests may indicate other disorders in their system. We keep our dog on flea pills all year.

Steve
Old 09-20-2007, 02:45 PM

Even if dogs are on heartworm medication, they should get a blood test every year. You want to make sure everything is OK. American Vets won't prescribe heartworm medication without a blood test. I also take the list of prices from Internet to my Vet and he charges me the same price as online. He's always told me to be careful with online medications. I would be careful of anything from overseas. I don't want to take a risk with our baby.

pili
Old 09-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

A word to the wise. I have worked for Veterinarians in Illinois and also here. Most Vets. will price match to some extent. They would rather your pet be taken care of properly. Be advised medications like heartworm meds and flea meds you get online are not backed up by the drug companies that make them. They do not sell their products to these places. Most of these online "stores" are supplied by Vets that buy in bulk and sell to them for a profit. I especially would not use medications from overseas on my pets. If something should happen they are not here to go to bat for you with the supplier like your own Vet. would. Just be careful. Yes testing should be done yearly as no medication is 100 percent effective.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Sage

I am watching this post with a lot of interest. It has never occured to me to buy Revolution on the Internet although I've heard of other people doing it to save money. I currently buy Revolution from my Canadian Vet for a six-month period.
65 lb dog costs $108.94 and 10 lb dog costs $ 79.00

Vetshoponline price: 65 lb dog costs $65.95 and 10 lb dog costs $53.95
Avista says she has been using this company for years (from Australia)

Entirelypets.com price
65 lb dog costs $62.99 and 10 lb dog costs $56.99

That's a potential savings of $114 a year. So buying on line is attractive. But I would never, ever do anything to jeopardize my pets' health.

Any more input on Internet buying? Are there any Vets in TV who have "economy" prices for Revolution?
Do all Vets charge equally for services?

Newbie with dogs
Old 09-22-2007, 06:14 AM
Platinum member

Barefoot, Another advantage of Vetshoponline is it comes from Australia. Australia does NOT require an RX for heart worm preventative, which saves me the trouble of getting an RX. My vet originally prescribed Revolution for my dogs. I've been using Vetshoponline for about 5 years. Never have had a flea and annual heartworm tests have consistently been neg.
Tampa, FL
Old 09-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Gold member

I have also been advised by my Vet in NH to keep our guy on heartworm all year long when in Florida.

What about ticks? We have a really bad problem with them here in NH, but only in the warm months. Will I need to keep him on Frontline year round ,as well?

My boy has very bad arthritis and is on Rymidal, every other day. I buy it from an online company for $1.02 per pill as opposed to $1.50 from my Vet. She was not willing to match the internet price. I have to request a perscription from her each time I renew the order. Worth the savings to me.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beady
My boy has very bad arthritis and is on Rymidal, every other day. I buy it from an online company for $1.02 per pill as opposed to $1.50 from my Vet. She was not willing to match the internet price. I have to request a perscription from her each time I renew the order. Worth the savings to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhdleo
I especially would not use medications from overseas on my pets. If something should happen they are not here to go to bat for you with the supplier like your own Vet. would.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Vets give a blood test every two years before they prescribe Revolution, but heartworm is fairly rare in Canada. Our Vet says it is rampant in Florida. OMG, that means you have mosquitos all year around?

Beady - What online company do you use for Rymidal?
Avista - Do you have friends that have used the company in Australia? When posters say to avoid "overseas" companies, are they including Australia?

If the package looks exactly the same and is sealed, doesn't that ensure it's a quality product? Am I naive?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.