Phone Call Returns

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2022, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts
Default Phone Call Returns

In the past week or so, I have called a few businesses and got a voicemail to leave a message and phone number. But the business never called me back or even texted me. Last year, I fired a landscaper I had for several years because they would never return my calls. I have owned a few businesses in the past, and I would never fail to return a call. I don't get it. Is this some kind of business strategy that actually works for some businesses? Any thoughts?
Old 11-08-2022, 12:06 PM

Happens to me all the time. It’s a pet peeve of mine, and I won’t do business with them again. I went to a prominent eye surgeon recently and afterwards they sent me at least 10 texts and emails to sign up for their portal. I finally did it because I had a question. It’s been 2 weeks and still no reply. My Dr back home would get back to me within hours, sometimes a personal call.
Old 11-08-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
In the past week or so, I have called a few businesses and got a voicemail to leave a message and phone number. But the business never called me back or even texted me. Last year, I fired a landscaper I had for several years because they would never return my calls. I have owned a few businesses in the past, and I would never fail to return a call. I don't get it. Is this some kind of business strategy that actually works for some businesses? Any thoughts?
I agree 100%. Rather it is a small business or a major corporation, more and more don't know how to do business and I think a lot don't care. It's a statement of the times we live in.
Yesterdays' example - I wanted to know the pharmacy hours at WALGREENS on Bella Cruz Dr. so I pulled up their web site. It told me the hours (shorter than they use to be) but then I noticed they stated their location is "Cross streets: Southwest corner of HWY. 27 & BUENA VISTA" That's a copy and paste from the site. Buena Vista and 27 DON'T MEET and form any corner! Missed it by about 3 miles. How can any Manager not know what their web site says? Same thing happened last year with a bank. They listed an incorrect address on their site too..... and didn't know it. Acted like I was crazy because I was upset about driving to Leesburg and they were in Lady Lake.
Old 11-08-2022, 12:37 PM

Its called "Customer Ghosting"
...most likely its not the Co owner acting that way, but some low level, under paid employee that simply doesn't want to do their job or is tasked with prioritizing who gets what.
Either way, I wont call a Co twice and beg for their service, nor will I deal with a company that intentionally treats some customers to be of lesser importance than others.
Old 11-08-2022, 12:45 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I had a company in NYC and London for 30 years.One of the many MUST DO things, was to return ALL calls before going home. Even if it were to say I do not know or have an answer yet. Simple, nothing exceptional. I started a small finance company in Fl a couple years back, and behave as I did with my old company. It astonishes me the amount of praise I get for returning a persons phone call. Simply amazing. At first I thought maybe it was a regional situation, however it is not. The same is happening in NYC now. Sidenote, I had a young lady apply for office manager. She advised me in the interview that she was stressed by speaking on the phone, and would she be expected to talk on the phone with others. What can one say?
Old 11-08-2022, 12:48 PM
Veteran member
Default Returning

To this complaint add the businesses that have websites with email addresses that they never look at.
Old 11-08-2022, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

I wasn't going to name names, but I will. I left messages with Mike Scott Plumbing and Gary Yeomans Ford (formerly Village Ford) this week. I have done business with both companies in the past. These are two large and very successful businesses in the area. Neither one has returned my call.
Old 11-08-2022, 06:10 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 595 Posts

At least you were able to get through. I hate it when I call a business and I can’t get a live person. I just get a voicemail which says please listen carefully as our menu options have recently changed. Why do they keep changing their menu? I can’t get a live person. They usually say check the website - which doesn’t have the answer. It would be interesting to know how much business they lose because customers can’t get a live person. I will give the Villages credit - I almost always get a live person!
Old 11-09-2022, 06:02 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
I had a company in NYC and London for 30 years.One of the many MUST DO things, was to return ALL calls before going home. Even if it were to say I do not know or have an answer yet. Simple, nothing exceptional. I started a small finance company in Fl a couple years back, and behave as I did with my old company. It astonishes me the amount of praise I get for returning a persons phone call. Simply amazing. At first I thought maybe it was a regional situation, however it is not. The same is happening in NYC now. Sidenote, I had a young lady apply for office manager. She advised me in the interview that she was stressed by speaking on the phone, and would she be expected to talk on the phone with others. What can one say?
I once interviewed a woman for a position that was posted as receptionist. When I told her she would be first on phones, she said, "I don't do phones."
Old 11-09-2022, 06:04 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

It is easier to ignore you than to say:

- We're so busy now we don't need your business

- We can earn our money from less 'demanding' customers

- We are so established that whatever bad will we get by ignoring you it will not matter

Feel free to add to this list.
Old 11-09-2022, 06:09 AM

Quote:
welcome to the new America, companies are struggling .. lack of employees, entitlement program, is really hard on a business, when you leave a message, do you think the other cell phone really gets it .. so many calls are lost in transmission, call again, never call medical on a Monday unless you're really having issues. / I still work, and people are way to entitled and demanding, winter season has arrived, and many bring back the attitude .. relax and try again ..
Old 11-09-2022, 06:16 AM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Guy View Post
I agree 100%. Rather it is a small business or a major corporation, more and more don't know how to do business and I think a lot don't care. It's a statement of the times we live in.
Yesterdays' example - I wanted to know the pharmacy hours at WALGREENS on Bella Cruz Dr. so I pulled up their web site. It told me the hours (shorter than they use to be) but then I noticed they stated their location is "Cross streets: Southwest corner of HWY. 27 & BUENA VISTA" That's a copy and paste from the site. Buena Vista and 27 DON'T MEET and form any corner! Missed it by about 3 miles. How can any Manager not know what their web site says? Same thing happened last year with a bank. They listed an incorrect address on their site too..... and didn't know it. Acted like I was crazy because I was upset about driving to Leesburg and they were in Lady Lake.
do you realize people get Buena Vista and Buena Aires mixed up .. all the time, I have patients that will tell me the GPS tells them where to go .. gee it dose help if the right street is entered and auto filled .. and know the general area.
Walgreens is on the corner of 441/27 Buena Aires and Bella Cruz by Spanish Plaines.. now Plaines and Springs get some confused.. day in the life of directions ..
Old 11-09-2022, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
30 years ago ... is no longer the same .. life has done a flip and the lack of dedication pride and working for your future wants and living .. . I chuckle when I read this type of comment.. but back then .... has left the building ..
Old 11-09-2022, 06:20 AM

try working again in this nonsense world of entitlement ..
Old 11-09-2022, 06:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

I have a granddaughter who worked for a large multi-national company, and their policy was to return all calls.
The abuse, threats, and foul language she had to put up with from many customers on a regular basis, was not worth the stress, despite high pay she received for being good at her job.
She has changed career directions now.
She is considering a police career. She reckons it will be less stressful!!
Closed Thread

Tags
businesses, phone, call, business, called

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.