Need men's hair stylist

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Default Need men's hair stylist

I'm hoping someone knows of a good men's hair stylist here in TV. I'm not talking about a "barber" who's been cutting hair for 40 yrs. and thinks nothing has changed. Nor am I looking for a buzz cut artist or the old bowl over the head trick. By the way, did you know barbers used to perform surgery? I wouldn't kid you.

Anyway, please give me guidance to a qualified professional in TV before my friends start calling me Rapunzel. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default dfn8ly, call Tuscany Day Spa & Salon located on Canal Stree

in Lake Sumter Landing. They do have men's "stylists"....if you are into SPA services be sure to check out the escape from the day to day they have on the second floor...

btk
Old 04-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Sage

Remember that not all those who work at barber shops here in TV are barbers. I have my hair cut at Cal's in Lake Sumter Landing and my "barber" is a beautician. Been going there for almost 5 years and the young lady that cuts my hair does a great job.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:40 AM

Pooh,

Who do you use at Cal's in LSL? Do you know if she also does highlights? Thanks!
Old 04-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Remember that not all those who work at barber shops here in TV are barbers. I have my hair cut at Cal's in Lake Sumter Landing and my "barber" is a beautician. Been going there for almost 5 years and the young lady that cuts my hair does a great job.

Sharon at Cal's in Lake Sumter Landing cuts my hair and does a great job! I have shoulder length naturally curling hair and received the best haircut I have had in years. I usually go to a " Salon" and pay at least three times the price they charge at Cal's for a haircut. Sharon also cuts my husband's hair and he was also very pleased with the results.

I have to say thanks to Mikitv for recommending Sharon.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoInTV View Post
Pooh,

Who do you use at Cal's in LSL? Do you know if she also does highlights? Thanks!
Yes they also do hair coloring including highlights,lowlights,and everything in between.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halle View Post
Yes they also do hair coloring including highlights,lowlights,and everything in between.
Thanks Halle! I'll give Sharon a call. I have short hair and the last time I had it cut and highlighted here, it cost me more than the salon I used when we lived in Scottsdale, AZ! I nearly fell out of the chair! I know, my bad for not ascertaining the price right up-front. But I honestly never thought I'd end up paying more than what it cost me at the Scottsdale salon! (And truth be told, even though it was a decent job, IMO neither the cut nor the color was as good what I got back in AZ.) Finding a hair stylist that I like and am comfortable with is a huge pain in the neck!
Old 04-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Pooh,

Hubby and I go to Shelly. Don't know if she does color, I don't color my hair, but you seem to have an answer from Halle about that. Good luck and enjoy....there's a wonderful atmosphere in that shop...sort of old town if you know what I mean.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks Halle! I'll give Sharon a call. I have short hair and the last time I had it cut and highlighted here, it cost me more than the salon I used when we lived in Scottsdale, AZ! I nearly fell out of the chair! I know, my bad for not ascertaining the price right up-front. But I honestly never thought I'd end up paying more than what it cost me at the Scottsdale salon! (And truth be told, even though it was a decent job, IMO neither the cut nor the color was as good what I got back in AZ.) Finding a hair stylist that I like and am comfortable with is a huge pain in the neck!
I have friends who have their hair colored and you're right about the pricing. Actually, with one lady, the price varied from one time to the next with the same beautician doing the same work. I'm sure you'll find someone you like quickly enough, but I understand what you're saying about it being a pain. Good luck and remember, hair grows quickly in the warm FL sunshine...
Old 04-08-2011, 10:44 AM

Pooh;

My apologies if you felt I was slighting the female stylists. I assure you I was not. The term "barber" has routinely been used in reference to the home-town striped pole boys, some of whom are very good. Over the years I've had several hair stylists of the female gender and found them highly qualified.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfn8tly View Post
Pooh;

My apologies if you felt I was slighting the female stylists. I assure you I was not. The term "barber" has routinely been used in reference to the home-town striped pole boys, some of whom are very good. Over the years I've had several hair stylists of the female gender and found them highly qualified.
Oh goodness, I didn't feel you were slighting female stylists. Years ago, my "stylist" was a female barber and hubby and I used her for years. She eventually moved to Washington state and we had to start our search all over again. When we moved here and I started at Cal's, I made an assumption that all in there were barbers! Mike and I really enjoyed that lady barber. After your haircut you got a 5 minute neck massage. It was wonderful. Alas, she got so busy that the neck massages were shortened and eventually had to be eliminated. I hope she and her family are well and happy. Good luck with your search...I'm so happy that's behind me...
Old 04-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Veteran member

Can't give you a good recommendation on a stylist BUT from what I've been told---the ONLY Cal's that does color, perms etc. is the Cal's at Spanish Springs. The women are in the back and guys in the front. I'm finding it's word of mouth here AND what's good for one person isn't necessarily good for another so it's definately a hunt!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:46 PM

Well, I called Tuscany Day Spa this morning and they happened to have an opening in the afternoon. So, I went to see Cris (sp?) and she gave me a wash and style at a reasonable price. I would say I'm pleased with her work but the full disclosure will be tomorrow. The day following a cut my hair seems to rebel as if to say "what have you done to me now?" I like the fact that LSL is so close to my home instead of the congested drive up 441/27.

As usual, thanks everyone for you input. It's always appreciated and valued.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.