PODS cost

Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove
Default PODS cost

I just got a quote for my move for one POD from Philadelphia area to TV - about $2500.00 Does that sound reasonable?
Old 04-12-2011, 03:29 PM

It's in the ballpark ... you may want to get a second or third quote ...
Old 04-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor111947 View Post
I just got a quote for my move for one POD from Philadelphia area to TV - about $2500.00 Does that sound reasonable?
I don't know much about pods, but it seems that you'd need to get quotes to compare from the number of companys that now deal with pods. Yesterday I did check out Pensky Truck Rentals and got a one-way quote from Upstate NY of about $1200 for their largest moving truck. If you can get someone to drive it for you and fly them back, or if you could drive it yourself and tow you vehicle on a dolly which they rent, you might find you can come hundreds under the pod quote you got. Check them out* if this idea sounds feasible to you at http://www.pensketruckrental.com/.

* Don't forget to factor in the cost of gas and tolls if you look into truck rentals!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Veteran member

You may also want to check ABF Relocubes.......not to be confused with ABF's buying a truck trailer by the foot....which is another option for many.

Frank
Old 04-12-2011, 04:04 PM

I just last week called PODS for a quote and a large POD from Haddonfield NJ was almost $3k with the taxes. I have gone to Budget truck rental and for a 16 ft. truck for 5 days including 11oo miles was only about $800.
Village of Largo
Lakeside Landings
Old 04-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
It's in the ballpark ... you may want to get a second or third quote ...
I just called the 800 number - are there different venders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy2 View Post
I just last week called PODS for a quote and a large POD from Haddonfield NJ was almost $3k with the taxes. I have gone to Budget truck rental and for a 16 ft. truck for 5 days including 11oo miles was only about $800.
We are about in the same geographical area so your numbers are pretty consistant with mine. The problem is that I also have two cars so I didn't want to drive a truck.

I have called a moving company for a quote, but I've read so many horror stories about poor delivery, additional costs, broken/damaged/missing goods that I'm not sure that's a good option.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:28 PM

Have you gotten any quotes from any of the moving companies recommended by TV? We got two quotes from those companies and we settled on United Moving Lines. We are moving a cape cod style home from MA to a storage unit close to TV that we booked last week. We are paying slightly under $3500.00 for this move although we are packing the boxes ourselves. United will load the truck and unload the truck for us.

Just a thought

Norm and Gisele
Old 04-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Someone told me

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulfrank View Post
You may also want to check ABF Relocubes.......not to be confused with ABF's buying a truck trailer by the foot....which is another option for many.

Frank
Someone told me that they used the ABFs buying footage by the foot they packed the front of the trailer put up a wall (I think provided by the company) and then the company fills the rest with freight but that you had to be flexable on time dates organized to load in a short time and they also told me they put big blue tarps on the floor and over the stuff as the truck was dirty with oil. They said it worked ok and was cheaper. Just something someone told me maybe something to check out.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:52 PM

We used ABF relocubes like others have noted. About 800.00 for their smalllest approx 6x7x8 from Mt. Laurel NJ to TV, worked very well, they even stored it for a month near Ocala waiting for our closing. I believe renting a truck is much more expensive but you will need to run the costs for gas, tolls etc. Go to ABF's website you can get an on-line quote, just fill in the details. Let us know how you make out since we will be moving down full time in a year or two and will be bringing more items.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
Someone told me that they used the ABFs buying footage by the foot they packed the front of the trailer put up a wall (I think provided by the company) and then the company fills the rest with freight but that you had to be flexable on time dates organized to load in a short time and they also told me they put big blue tarps on the floor and over the stuff as the truck was dirty with oil. They said it worked ok and was cheaper. Just something someone told me maybe something to check out.
A friend of ours did this. They dropped off a big trailer in their driveway. They packed it in around 3 days. Plywood walls get secured in front of their stuff. Then they came to get the trailer. They paid by the foot of the trailer space...it was not bad. They went from Buffalo NY to West Palm Beach.

I like the smaller Relocube idea. I've read online that many folks are very pleased with them....and they are cheaper then PODS. They are also smaller then PODS, but you can get two for not much more then one.

Our Florida home is already furnished....so we will not be moving much down here, so a relocube should be perfect. Between the Florida style, age/condition of what we might have up north, etc, many things are just not worth the high cost of moving them. I"ve seen too many folks haul a ton of stuff down here, only to get rid of most of it.

Frank
Old 04-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I got a quote from ABF for a move from Baltimore to TV this August. Two cubes were $1757 and if needed, storage for both at $250 per month. 3 cubes were $2297 with storage at $375 per month.

I guess with Philly only about a 100 miles more, those prices should be similar.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Sage
Default Trailer Hitch Moving Experience

I was thinking of getting a small trailer that attaches to the back of the car as I will not be bringing much stuff with me.

I looked on the U-Haul site and the cost was $273 for the trailer I would need to have.

Has anyone done this type of moving and what was your experience driving 2,000 miles?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Veteran member

I wonder if timing has something to do with the prices quoted. If certain times of the year are higher, etc.
I also wonder if you tell them you do not need your stuff that quickly if the cost is better. My Florida home is fully furnished, so if they want to take a month or so to get the stuff down here that would not be an issue. Just wondering.

Frank
Old 04-13-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I was thinking of getting a small trailer that attaches to the back of the car as I will not be bringing much stuff with me.

I looked on the U-Haul site and the cost was $273 for the trailer I would need to have.

Has anyone done this type of moving and what was your experience driving 2,000 miles?
We are not that far away, only about 400+. Our plan is to purchase a furnished pre-owned. I will sale my car, rent a U-Haul truck with a car dolly and tow my wife's car. As stated on other threads about moving, the biggest suggestion is downsize (i.e. dejunk), downsize, downsize. Unless you are buying a home in TV that is the same size as your current home, you will more than likely have too much "stuff". Therefore, you have paid for more POD space or other portable moving modules, just to donate a lot of stuff once you get to TV.

We are still about 18 months from making the move, so have not done any pricing. So, my suggestion for Taylor (original post) would be will you really need two cars? Is the size of your home in TV the same? Our TV home will be much smaller than our current one, so we don't want to get into trying to decide here which furniture would fit where down there. I'm selling my car because my car in TV will be a golf cart!! Any trips will be in my wife's car. When you look at the expense of driving two cars at $4.00 a gallon, plus the fact you and your wife will be driving separately. You both will be wore slap out from driving and then have to deal with unpacking and all the other headaches of a move.

We all have different moving needs and priorities. Ours is to bring a change of "shorts" and our golf clubs, plus a few keepsakes, which I should be able to get into a small or medium size U-Haul!!

Good luck to everyone making the "big" move! It is a challenge.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Veteran member

Just finished packing 2 Relocubes. Had them for a week and want them at the house next Friday. Cost was $1350 if you only used one and $1850 for 2 from Ma. to TV. Decided not to pack everything into one, but tied everything down in both. I was happy with the price, but found the actual packing to be nerve racking. If I ever did it again (hopefully not in this lifetime), I would probably use on site packers and save my back.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.